Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I get "The American Hunter". That issue apparently did not arrive yet. I owe my soul to the NRa but they cannot predict the rut's timing any more than either of us. Oh, and I read the thingie you put up. They are the BEST states. We shoot more deer in those two states -- RI and CT -- than anyone we know who hunts, Maine, Mass or Vermont.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 AM
SS/Veteran

Well it is good that you have found some hot spots in those states. Life is good! I guess the rest of the hunters state wide are going without those the cutting back of the season times.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Not necessarily the magazine, but the individual author is mistaken, misguide or misinformed. There is a lot of bad writing out there. I love and belong to the NRA, but that does not make them always right. I have been a reader/writer for a long time and outdoor press never heard of either RI or CT.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Any idea when the rut occurs, considering the weather this year here in Mass?.

We are in full swing here in Jersey.
Bucks with their nose in the air and doe's on the run.
Oh and a lot of head banging between the boys.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 AM
Senior Fellow

I'm not a hunter but judging from the gunshots and crazy bucks around here at present I would say it is happening.

As for best hunting, other than the dense and ridiculous suburban deer we had around Philly it is hard for me to believe there are many places where the whitetail is more plentiful then eastern NC. Just an observation from a non-hunter.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 10-31-2017, 01:19 PM
SS/Veteran

From a short few year/s of deer hunting , bird hunting pheasant shooting , I’m getting by fix of Flats fishing . Red fish / Bone Fish is one of my favorite hunting There are others but the hunt is better than the take
Brook Trout fishing maybe be small game to some but to get one or two of those beauties is much harder than sitting against a stump to shoot Bambi or even Turkey . Have not tried Duck hunting ( NJ ) with a few invites I might give it a try . Next season
Old 11-01-2017, 08:47 PM
SS/Veteran

People who don't hunt always refer to those of us who hunt as "crazy" . That is why none golfers oppose the development of golf courses. Some of the posts here are hard for me to understand/follow. I love posts and conversation but until I understand I don't know what to say.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:02 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
People who don't hunt always refer to those of us who hunt as "crazy" . That is why none golfers oppose the development of golf courses. Some of the posts here are hard for me to understand/follow. I love posts and conversation but until I understand I don't know what to say.
Flats fishing is just another way of my fix of hunting I thought to bring up , I did bring up I have bird hunted a few x's , & I know there are a lot of NJ dudes here on the site & NJ has preservation wet lands where a number do duck hunt cause i can hear the shots going off while fishing the back .
sometimes its best to say nothing . I'm not always looking for a bite . It might to be one's fancy to sit in a duck blind than in a Alfalfa field .
Old 11-03-2017, 06:06 AM
SS/Veteran

All activities could use a broader level of understanding. Just because a person does not happen to do something does not make it fobar. People hunt or shoot for pleasure which they take from their cultural background. In my case I was brought up hunting and shooting with my Dad and brother. This BS of attacking the NRA, which has happened here, is a bad idea. Hunters/NRA are not terrorists, inspite of what many city folks might think. They move in from Greater Boston and call the cops, "there is a man in the field with a gun!"
Old 11-03-2017, 07:55 AM
SS/Veteran

from a non registered NRA member ( and never will ) I do support that Americans SHOULD defend them selves w/ a firearm . The problem w/ assault weapons & you can't change my mind on this . It describes exactly what it is ASSAULT WEAPON. I don't have to listen to a guy who likes to hunt game for sport or to enjoy the game at dinner table for his family . And I would openly tell you of how many innocent American citizens ,police offices have died because of ASSAULT WEAPONS have left this earth wife & children with out their dad because of these weapons . THE NRA only loyalty is to the $$$ sign . Its a beautiful day here in NY going to have a nice walk & exercise my new knee I got on Sept. 20th .
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
from a non registered NRA member ( and never will ) I do support that Americans SHOULD defend them selves w/ a firearm . The problem w/ assault weapons & you can't change my mind on this . It describes exactly what it is ASSAULT WEAPON. I don't have to listen to a guy who likes to hunt game for sport or to enjoy the game at dinner table for his family . And I would openly tell you of how many innocent American citizens ,police offices have died because of ASSAULT WEAPONS have left this earth wife & children with out their dad because of these weapons . THE NRA only loyalty is to the $$$ sign . Its a beautiful day here in NY going to have a nice walk & exercise my new knee I got on Sept. 20th .
Question, Hook, how would you define the term (description) ASSAULT WEAPON??.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Question, Hook, how would you define the term (description) ASSAULT WEAPON??.
semi automatic firearms w/ a detachable magazine ,flash suppressor or barrel shroud
& if webster's dictionary does not make it clear , Anyone can read the Freedom of Information's Act & search the last dozen massacres here in the US & Europe if your looking for specifics used . Hope this helps

Just to add I'm not going back & forth here because its not a debatable subject . over & out !
Old 11-03-2017, 03:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Joyce and I start deer hunting with muzzleloaders tomorrow in RI. One shot, one kill.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:46 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Frank... hope you "assault" the deer with those muzzies

As an aside, have a friend who shoots but is an animal lover and as such doesn't (and won't) hunt. Even has a tough time fishing catch and release due to hooks. Makes it tough to go fishing with him... I'm like "seriously?"
Old 11-05-2017, 08:01 PM
SS/Veteran

Rob, I would defend your friend's desire to shoot and not kill animals. Fine that he lets the grocer/slaughter house do his killing for him. Its a nice clean service which he has all the right to pay for. I think all vegetarians have a right to eat carrots; I love them too with my bacon and spam. I can't wait until the Spam season. I will shoot all of them bricks I can and we can have a potlatch with slices of spam, carrots and a few figs of broccoli. We can invite some Colorado/Boston NRA supporters for carrots.