Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

We have done very well deer hunting. Been stowing meat all day what with these poor, too high, hanging temperatures.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM
SS/Veteran

You might think about an old refri often gotten roadside or in newspaper ads. With the rebates people are replacing the old ones. Quarter the animal and place in refri set on between 32 and 40 degrees for a week of hanging in the box. Butchering time comes unplug the refri until next time and you will end up with tasty venison that rivals beef.

That is your tip of the day and I am sure as the sunrise you will have a come back.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM
SS/Veteran

We had an old inefficient fridg. Mass Save took it away because it was an energy hog. It would have been okay for what you recommend but then we were not shooting as many deer. It would be a good plan; a few inefficient days would do no harm.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Yesterday I had a 10 minute stare down from a fork horn buck. I could have tried him but my movement probably would have spooked him; he was looking right at me. Bad choice, however, because he bounded off after staring at me for that 10 minutes. Shi*!
Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM
SS/Veteran

You should have given him the finger before he gave it to you or you could have played nice, nice and made an appointment for next year.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:58 PM
SS/Veteran

I had two choices and I chose the wrong one. I have seven weeks left to try again; he is still there.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:31 PM
SS/Veteran

We cut our own deer and end up with a rib cage, some bones, a meaty head and part of the neck. It is still heavy when we drag what is left out behind the shed. It is always gone the next day without a trace. Coyotes or Sasquatch apparently carry/drag it off. Everything gets used in Nature.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Everything short of the initial gutting goes out to hunters who want bait for coyotes. Some do not even hunt deer but in the winter season for yotes develope a passion for shooting coyotes. Last count by a neighbor down the road winter count was 26. I wonder whether they somehow store the vendings or put them out away?.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 PM
SS/Veteran

We do have coyotes because we hear them come through some nights and they sound like the cowboy movies. But anything we put out back to rot is gone next day. Pheasants is one thing; could be fisher, fox, any small animal, but when a whole deer body is hauled off -- rib cage, head and all, that ain't no field mouse.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
We do have coyotes because we hear them come through some nights and they sound like the cowboy movies. But anything we put out back to rot is gone next day. Pheasants is one thing; could be fisher, fox, any small animal, but when a whole deer body is hauled off -- rib cage, head and all, that ain't no field mouse.
Bear?
Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Needless to say a trail camera covering your bone pile might produce the answer and also some entertainment. If I lived closer to you I would put a camera out there and we could giggle while sipping scotch, viewing the results.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:44 PM
SS/Veteran

My neighbor put up a trail camera before the deer carcass was put out. We just haven't downloaded it yet. No bears around our way. They are more north of where we live. It could be a bobcat, however. We'll see.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:53 AM
SS/Veteran

I'll bet it is coyotes. They will dart in and grab something and drag it off for a few yards, munch a little until other coyotes dart in and steal it off. Again and again until it is gone.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I'll bet it is coyotes. They will dart in and grab something and drag it off for a few yards, munch a little until other coyotes dart in and steal it off. Again and again until it is gone.
Yes, that is very much how I perceive it to be. We got so many of them buggahs around but you never get to see them. They leave tracks in the dirt and snow but they are like ghosts. My wife and I live in the woods and we only shoot about one every five years, between us. If you go in the woods behind our house there are bleached out bones here and there; even oyster or clam shells.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Driving out today we saw a monster buck watching us leave. We parked and capped our muzzleloaders but he apparently screwed.