Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

What you are saying, Merlin, is that hunting is in decline. I would agree and here are the reasons:
They double license fees and drive people off.
Access is declining because landowners are afraid of litigation.
Regs are too conservative and unnecessary, like no Sunday hunting.
Public impatience with the interests of others.
Demonizing recreational gun use.
Politizing recreational gun use -- Dems oppose, Conservatives support.
Women are taught that only bad men own guns.
Animal rights activism is an industry.
Many of hunting's enemies are hunters.

In some ways the same things are happening to fishing.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Many of hunting's enemies are hunters.

Frank, could you explain that one? I'm not disagreeing here but I'm not sure what you mean by it.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 AM
SS/Veteran

I agree with all of the above but like Salmonmeister wonder what the meaning of the last one.

I can guess on that based on greed, envies and jealousy but I will save them.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:42 AM

What I meant about hunting's enemies is that recent years we have repeatedly been challenged in the woods by other hunters wanting to know if we had permission to be there. The apparent idea is many huntrs view other hunters as competition and they seek to get you out of places they have chosen to hunt when they have no authority or permission themselves. The most recent challenge came from a guy turkey hunting who approached my wife he wearing a face mask and when she said she had permission and asked about his authority he could not name the owner when she could.

Another tried to kick us off of a power line saying he had permission to hunt there. Exclusive hunting rights are an advantage and if you can drive off others, you get to hunt it alone.

A variation is to get permission from a landowner then offer to post it as a favor to him. Have seen tht locally, Vermont, New York. There are also dirty tricks where they scatter fast food wrappers all over the place then tell the landowner what a pig you are.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Do you live in the land of victims where anyone can confront you and you have to defend yourself? Your only responsibilty is to the landowner and of course anyone with a badge to defend yourself. The rest are to be ignored, pure and simple. This is of course if you do not want to be a victim who can store the anger and whine another day. You might want to practice the women look which can turn male flesh to stone.

I think the deer and turkeys are laughing at these events.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:04 PM

I was only responding to Salmonmiester's question. I'm not looking for solutions or advice. I can take care of myself. What readers here are supposed to get from my post is that hunting has enough problems without having people, already on the edge, being harassed by fraudulent landowners driving them out. Our young hunters are being confronted by excessive regulation, certification, faulty gun laws, wives who can't understand why their husbands would want to kill an animal, and then once in the woods, fraud! Read these again, Merl.
Whine?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 AM
SS/Veteran

Big stink coming down the shoot where an off duty Mass state cop shot a women age 66 as she was walking her dogs whose tails looked like deer tails. This happened in Norton, Mass 10 minutes afterdark when the season was closed. No charges were filed. Do you think some people are above the law?, nor names released in the news article.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 AM

i don't have an opinion because I was not there.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Big stink coming down the shoot where an off duty Mass state cop shot a women age 66 as she was walking her dogs whose tails looked like deer tails. This happened in Norton, Mass 10 minutes afterdark when the season was closed. No charges were filed. Do you think some people are above the law?, nor names released in the news article.
Merlin, I always question what the real/whole story is on those. We had someone south of Albany shoot someone 'cause they thought they were a raccoon...yeah, I always get those two mammals mixed up too! We had a Police boat run over a racing (rowing) shell on Saratoga Lake a few years back. The trooper claimed the sun had blinded him. I don't buy it...more likely carelessness coupled with a DSA (dumb shirt attack).
Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Name:  Fox hunt.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  50.4 KB
Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 AM
SS/Veteran

This picture was sent to my son on his cell phone. The gentleman is from Lexington, N.C., near, where I live, but I do not know his name. He was Elk hunting, out West somewhere I think, and, by himself. From the picture, it was apparently dusk, or near dark. He had his camera, so he set up his tripod, and adjusted the camera for a few seconds delayed take. He took two or three pictures without checking the images that he captured. When he finally did look at his images, sometime later, this is what he saw on one of them.

MULE.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 AM

That's freakin scary.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Fellow

If that elk cried after it was shot it would be like a big cat call.

I have never seen a mountain lion in the wild --- but heard one, (I think he was looking for other special pussy), while he was walking through a wash next to my buddies house in Utah.

The next day I was right impressed by the size of it's tracks. Big cats are a good way to control the population of deer, elk, moose and sometimes livestock, hikers and mountain bikers. When they venture into grazing areas they do so at their own risk --- and I can't say that I blame the ranchers.

For those of us like, Mule and me, who understand the strength of a domestic cat it is staggering to imagine the strength of a big cat!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM

I didn't see the cat right away. Probably the scent of the elk, as it was probably gutted and thus added scent, is what drew the cat.

One time there were two full size deer in our back yard and our neighbor's cat was sneaking up on them. What would the kitty do with it if he caught one?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I didn't see the cat right away. Probably the scent of the elk, as it was probably gutted and thus added scent, is what drew the cat.

One time there were two full size deer in our back yard and our neighbor's cat was sneaking up on them. What would the kitty do with it if he caught one?
PROBABLY BE A FATAL ATTACK LIKE THIS FRANK.

MULE.
Attached Images