Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Berkley Striper Club Flea Market

Hit the Berkley flea market this morning with my son,and was a good boy... Spent less than $50 bucks. Spoke to Jess and Blitz Boy,and also Striper Knight.He had his Bunker head plug with him.Looks even cooler than the pictures!Won a door prize,a nice yellow Danny.Only other thing I bought was a Troublemaker plug from NJ Tackle,just couldnt resist...Almost picked up a rod for the conventional I have collecting dust,but didnt like the short butt legnth(something my son pointed out).
So,if you went,what goodies did you buy?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Berkley Striper Club Flea Market

Missed it this year for the first time but, I am surprised Rags, you kept your purchases low after last year....
Old 03-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Like I said,I was a good boy...Didnt have to worry about the big ticket items,like the rod rack last year.Was good having my son along,he pointed out some older discontinued plugs,but didnt find the exact ones he was looking for.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Berkley Striper Club Flea Market

As usual to many people and not enough real estate there.

I picked up some VMC treble hooks/w split rings, siwash hooks, 10/0 Gamakatsu J hooks, Gibbs Canal Special blue and white.

Blitzboy got some buck tail and hooks for his teaser rigs.

Good to see your son Bob, I think he's getting taller

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess
Good to see your son Bob, I think he's getting taller
Nah, Rags is shrinking with old age...

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Probably both....
Old 03-05-2006, 10:47 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

I just got some hooks and a NJBBA lanyard.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 PM

I went last year for the first time and probably dropped around $200.00

Before then I didn't know too much about wooden plugs, but I kinda fell in love with them there.

The one BIG I didn't like about the show was this:

I went there last year to help out a buddy who had a table there, so I unknowingly and unwittingly got to see how things are behind the scenes.

Well you shouldn't wonder why a seemingly short amount of time after they opened the doors you got to your favorite table and the plug you had your heart set on buying was already sold out.

It was already sold out before the doors officially opened.

While you and your wife or buddy are in line outside, early, in the cold, the vendors have already done their shopping and scooped up the more prized plugs.

So while I was pretty happy at the time that he took me under his wing and steered me to some really nice plugs, it was a short while after they opened the doors that I realized most of the people comming through the doors that day got hosed.

It didn't sit too well with me that day and now a year later, it still doesn't.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:47 PM
SS/Veteran

I can honestly say that I have NEVER purchased ANYTHING before the doors opened to the public, most of the time not even until towards the END of the show , approx 1 pm. I am too buzy setting up (cause I am always running LATE anyway) Most of the custom plug builders had plenty to go around so I dont think this is as big a problem as you may think. The vendors all know each other anyway and would not need to wait for that time before the doors open to "scoop up" the best deals as you stated.
I saw PLENTY of great opportunities and great deals.
You SHOULD get there early though,preferably waiting at the door before opening time, as popular colors do sell out. You can't expect to get there at 12 noon and have a full selection.
There was supposedly a situation with Other CLub members getting in early in prev years, which was supposedly cleared up this year but I am not sure as I am not involved in that, nor do I have an opinion one way or the other on that subject.
Im sure you can Email Nancy or Eric with your concerns. They run a great show and the crowd is always well behaved.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 PM

Yea I was in line and saw the club members and other club members coming out with their plug stashes. The reaction of the crowd was not good. These types of things damages a clubs reputation in the eyes of fellow fisherman.
Its something they need to move away from. They also need a bigger hall.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I have to agree with Eric.I saw the people coming out the side door with their stash,while I was freezing my azz off waiting for the doors to open.I'm not one that worries too much about getting custom plugs,with the right color and such,I go mainly to find something that strikes my fancy.However,seeing people walk out before the market begins with bags of stuff,does make an impression,and makes you wonder what it is really about...
Old 03-10-2006, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINMAN
I can honestly say that I have NEVER purchased ANYTHING before the doors opened to the public, most of the time not even until towards the END of the show , approx 1 pm. I am too buzy setting up (cause I am always running LATE anyway) Most of the custom plug builders had plenty to go around so I dont think this is as big a problem as you may think. The vendors all know each other anyway and would not need to wait for that time before the doors open to "scoop up" the best deals as you stated.
I saw PLENTY of great opportunities and great deals.
You SHOULD get there early though,preferably waiting at the door before opening time, as popular colors do sell out. You can't expect to get there at 12 noon and have a full selection.
There was supposedly a situation with Other CLub members getting in early in prev years, which was supposedly cleared up this year but I am not sure as I am not involved in that, nor do I have an opinion one way or the other on that subject.
Im sure you can Email Nancy or Eric with your concerns. They run a great show and the crowd is always well behaved.
Well TINMAN if you never purchased anything there before the doors opened, I believe you, but clearly thats not the point.
Most certainly there were plugs there when the doors opened, I never said there wasn't. It was more of what wasn't there when the doors opened.

Wether all the other vendors there know each other or not I really don't care, but please don't insult my intelligence and try to tell me what I plainly saw didn't really happen.

Remember, a lot of those people were there early enough, waiting at the door before opening time.
It was at that time they were saw exiting the side doors with their stash.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Your point is well taken, & not trying to pull the perverbial wool over your eyes. I just dont take part in it myself. Im sure you are correct in what you saw. Several things to consider however.
Some of these guys are friends and make special request plugs for each other, like special colors, and then they meet at the show because its convenient and the exchange is made, but the ORDER was placed possibly MONTHS earlier. This does not mean that you got cheated. .This type of transaction I know for a FACT. Someone will call say Builder XXX, and say, hey can you paint a half dozen xyz swimmers in this color, I want this plug to be MY color only.
However I think what you were referring to is the "BARGAINS" ? that were perhaps scooped up before the show opened. This is certainly possible,and would be a shame if it is happening . The thing is it would NOT benefit the dealer/ builder to do this, because the excitement at his table would be better if he held those bargains for when the doors opened. See my point. For example. One thing we used to do to keep the interst high when I helped a friend of mine at his table years ago is we would have at least ONE "loss leader" at the table to get people to come by,(an item sold below cost ) and YES those items do go fast,but you would wait for the doors to open before you sell something that way,otherwise its pointless.
I could be wrong here, but these are just some things to consider.
If you could maybe give some specific examples, and forward that info to the people that run the show, im sure they would address it.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:54 PM

Hey TINMAN,

Excellent point about previously placed orders, never thought of that and I'm sure that could have accounted for some of what I saw.

The rest was a was a real shopping frenzy though.

Ahh, what the heck. Lets leave it like that(and we can both claim to be right).!

I see were from the same town, maybe we'll bump into each other on the sand.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:35 AM

The club members all prebuy before the show starts, but I dont have a problem with it. They all pay full price unless dealing with an obvious friend that may cut them slack. A few guys had some plugs set aside for 9am opening only (Gray and someone else). The plug builders know this and prepare for it. Many of these people know each other well.
I went there last year and showed up so early there wasnt a line yet. They stopped me from going in and I was milling around when a guy coming in late dropped a few things and I helped him carry it in. While inside I thought Id check out the tables plugs everyone told me about. The cut off member buying 15minutes prior to the start of the event.

This is not a retail store like Best buy. These are guys donating time to there club as a fundraiser, I have no problem with this. In addition, I believe in professional courtesy, if Tinman (hypothetically only!) wanted to buy a plug from lefty, he should not have to wait until it is over pick a plug out.
Why should a member, donating his time to the club, be shut out of a plug because he is working and only get to pick out the left overs at the end?

Just my opinion