Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Enforcement -- Fish and Game?

At age 17, before my high school graduation ceremony, I got a job with a construction company run by two hard-XXX red neck brothers. The crew would meet up at 5 am and make the drive to cape cod where we framed condominiums.
Boss noticed that i was agile and not afraid of heights, so when it was time to set the roof trusses, I got the job of unhooking the crane hook while perched upon the previously set truss. I was just a laborer at that point but was eager to learn the trade.

Every Friday, the boss would point to a load of lumber and tell me to load it on the truck. Didn't think nothing about it and did as I was told. Now these two guys were always talking about a camp they had up in Maine, and all the hell raising and drinking that whet on up there. Eventually they invited me to go up with them for some R&R. When we arrived there I commented about the fine looking cottage they had built. Thats when I realized it had been built with all the lumber they were stealing.......and I was loading on the truck!
Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Why not bring it up ?. The commercial fishing industry is as orginazied crime in this country . Starting a new thread comericial fishing industry lawbreakers . Everyone would be interested & have participation reports .
Where there is a buck involved, which would have to include commercial fishing, people are bound to cheat if they can. Remember the flap we had here on this cite about my old buddy from RI who sold fish in Mass once RI closed? They caught and sold fish and were not about to stop. Of course the guy who complained about them here spent years on Block Island catching stripers during the moratorium. Don't know if he, personally, sold stripers but everyone else did.

And don't you love the story Bob Marsh tells about stealing lumber for the Maine camp?

Another documentary on theft: When I was a teacher my shop was outside the cafeteria. Every afternoon the cooks left work after cleaning up carrying bags of food home.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:55 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Our home builder, Hovnanian, took a lot of shortcuts, or at least the contractors he used did.

When we gutted the master bath, I took out a whirlpool bath my wife and I never used to replace with a large walk in shower. The hot and cold water lines to the faucet were bent... crimped such that it explained why the water pressure was always low going to the tub. Amazing that the lines hadn't burst. The toilet was not installed per code... electrical similar.

In the closets shelving was not installed properly, hundreds of homes here did not have their front kickout bay windows flashed properly causing dry rot and required rebuilds. On and on... and this is the small stuff.

The illegal and toxic dumping in NJ is legendary and criminal. One of the reasons I would never eat anything caught in fresh/stillwater in NJ.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:42 PM

The next contractor I worked for had a trick for getting lots with poor drainage to pass perc tests. Months before the actual test....he would dig a large hole with the backhoe, remove the lousy existing soil and replace with good gravel. Then cover everything back with existing topsoil and dead leaves and low vegetation, leaving little evidence of his alterations. Months later the engineer was persuaded to dig his test pit on that very spot.........and they always passed. They would dig the hole for the foundation and it would only take a day or two before becoming inundated with water. The man was ruthless but I needed the employment and steady work....everyday was an adventure working for this guy some townspeople called a madman and worse. Almost got me killed a time or two....I finally moved on after six years of being pushed to the limit.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:36 AM
SS/Veteran

Members here sure got their stories. To think I thought I was the only one.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:55 PM

"Random Fishing Related Stories"...an idea for a thread ? Sort of like "Odds and Ends"
Old 09-08-2018, 04:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Often a person is trapped by circumstances to go along or look the other way when something illegal or improper is happening. You work for a guy who is without ethic but you need the job and you then become a part of the crime. Bob Marsh' example of cheating on perk tests is a good example. Like the song says, "you got to know when to fold, know when to hold them ….."
Old 10-03-2018, 04:04 PM

One of my two sump pumps ( I live on a sandbar ) went out. Sooooo....I'm up to my XXX in alligators. Sorry, that's another thread but I couldn't resist.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Everybody cheats, even enforcement officers.

I once had an enforcement officer tell me that I could do anything I wanted before 8:00 AM which is when they go on. Still, my wife and me got checked striper fishing at 3:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:37 PM
SS/Veteran

The Cheatachusetts Director of Resources Enforcement just got kicked out of his job for fixing tickets for two friends and they are debating nullification of his pension. Between him and the state troopers under indictment the state stands to save a lot of pension money. You can't make this stuff up (unless you work for the Boston Globe.)