Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM

Default What are you gonna do different this year.. whats you new interest "thread"...

Well the title is clear enough...

Every Year I target a new aspect of surf fishing...

Going light,

Spooks,

Teasers,

Bait.......etc....

I have been modifying and customizing plugs for years, but this year I will be delighted to finally cast some wooden plugs I have made myself ... this is gonna be fun

Also I will be casting those wooden plugs with conventional gear (I am finally over thar dreaded learning curve, I paid my dues, Im ready to fish with cool conventionals ABUs plugging away)..

That my new thing this year..

what will be your new thing to do more this year?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: What are you gonna do different this year.. whats you new interest "thread"...

bought an 11' tica and an abu 7000 conventional, will spool it up with 50lb braid for bait n wait with bunker heads this spring and fall
Old 03-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Default Re: What are you gonna do different this year.. whats you new interest "thread"...

I'm going to try to do more topwater casting to Tuna. I've got some super new heavy duty tuna casting lures that need some fish smell

Also I'm gonna try to work more back-bay action for striper with some new smaller plugs.

Armand
Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 PM

I've got a few ideas using scaled up freshwater tactics I plan on trying this year.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
SS/Veteran

After all the years of telling people that the only pluggin I will do involves 110 volts, I decided to build a plugging rod for myself. Time to start using some of those plugs I won in various tourneys over the years!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Fish more, talk less is my plan.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 PM

After looking at a wall full of old beat up plugs, I decided to start refinishing some of them....

and....get back into doing more surf fishing. years ago it's all I did, except for jetty jumping during the annual fall bass run, I haven't spent much time in the suds, want to get back into it more this year.....
Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM

And God will finbally make it back to Montauk this year!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
bought an 11' tica and an abu 7000 conventional, will spool it up with 50lb braid for bait n wait with bunker heads this spring and fall
based on what Crazy Alberto said recently, I'm upping this to 65lb braid minimum, 80lb test leader minimum
Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
based on what Crazy Alberto said recently, I'm upping this to 65lb braid minimum, 80lb test leader minimum

I do 50 and 80 respectively, the 65 grabs a bit too much water in a heavy current so on the fast tides the drift is too quick....something to keep in mind!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
I do 50 and 80 respectively, the 65 grabs a bit too much water in a heavy current so on the fast tides the drift is too quick....something to keep in mind!
good point... I'll have to remember to pick up some bigger (though expensive) sputniks or carolina sinkers to counter this effect
Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
good point... I'll have to remember to pick up some bigger (though expensive) sputniks or carolina sinkers to counter this effect

That'll do it, at first I didn't think it was going to make a difference but I really noticed it fishing in the canal....instead of bouncing jigs the line was bowed and dragging the jigs...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Hello All, This year I am going do several things new:
1 - try using the information on how to read the beaches for soft structure as read on this website
2 - try plugging more often
3 - take my son fishing with me more often
4 - bring my wife sometimes too!!! (she doesn't fish)
5 - target different species during my outings
6 - keep reading books on surffishing/striped bass
Old 03-28-2010, 01:43 AM

i am going agenst the grain guys will use plugs but not me swimbaits only on my one peace rod with sufix tri 17 lb line no braid for me tryed it cant stand it
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM

Been mostly fly fishing for the past 20 years or so, but I got tired of being shut out by the rough surf and dangerous conditions we had last fall. I took a nasty spill (luckily on the sand) and a buddy of mine broke his arm on the rocks. Decided to return to my roots a bit and break out the surfcasting gear this year when conditions call for it. Looking forward to doing some night-time plugging in the rocks and trying out some out of the tins I designed over the winter. I also picked up a Jeep Wrangler, which I plan to use on the beach come fall.