Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 AM

Cool Swimmers for LARGE

Gentlemen: When not using rigged eels...I understand many of you (Al, Frank, ect) go to large swimmers such as giant jointed pikies and Danny-type swimmers......as I'm unfamiliar with some of the "newer" manufacturers of these lure types I was wondering if you can suggest/recommend some...also does anyone know if the Creek Chub PLASTIC giant jointed pikie is a floater? Thanks for your time and advice...DB
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Swimmers for LARGE

I have a huge stash of old-time plugs and haven't bought a big swimmer in years. I could never outlive my supply of big wood -- all stuff that is good for big bass. One reason why I am overstocked is that I could see the world going to spinning and that big wood demand would go down and be unavailable.

My guess is that the new pikies float but manufacturing often serves ease-of-manufacture rather than mission. so I would be very carefull about worshipping any recent efforts to revive old results. The pikie has been started and stopped more times than some of my old girl friends. (Not that I've done that much pikie fishing, mind you)
Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 PM
SS/Veteran

I say what Bentsen calls the "knock-knock plug". It's like a Atom Junior (#54) but made out of wood-very nice finish and is made by Bobby Glauder on Long Island. Marketed by the name "Beachmaster".
Al had a bunch made by Bobby and gave me some about 12 years ago when Bobby was "not well" and was producing sparadically; now I see them in CMS (Dartmouth, Ma.) and few other places.
I also always carry a "Atom 54" as I have "great confidence" in them as proven "large" producers. The difference between the two is that I swim the 54 right on the surface, preferably with the tail-end sticking out of the water. The "Beachmaster" on the other hand, digs into the water a foot or two on the retrieve...................JC
Old 05-05-2007, 10:40 AM

A lot of regulars think that large plugs cull but I have seen some small schoolies latch onto a big plug. The Gibbs Trolling Swimmer, which we cast, is a good big wood. I had some years of really cleaning up with the GTS-3 and even gave my wife a GTS-2 for her spinnah.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Al the plugs mentioned above are great for large bass. There is a new plug, to me anyway the pikie made by John in Vermont. It's a good size great weight and action plus it cast like a sinker. I also have some of his darters great size for big bass and again will cast like a rock. I haven't fished with these yet. Some of the shops carry them. His e-mail address is lifishvt@yahoo.com. A lot of the wood shop made plugs fly off the shelves when they get a rep.
For instace I know one plug that fly's off the shelves when they arrive at the stores. It's common to have them all sold at the end of the first day.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Hi Al!

I tried to send John an email asking him where I could find his stuff in my area but the address you have there ( lifishvt@yahoo.com ) came back as "undeliverable". You have a phone number or alternate address for him? I would like to try some of his "Pikie style" plugs out.........JC

Jason
Old 05-06-2007, 02:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Sorry at 75 I don't see well any more it's. lifishinvt@yahoo.com look at the good side I don't drive you in my car.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB31 View Post
Sorry at 75 I don't see well any more it's. lifishinvt@yahoo.com look at the good side I don't drive you in my car.
Thank you!
(for not driving me in your car)...........JC
Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks Guys...I'm on the hunt...DB
Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 PM

Another guy who makes some awesome big wood is a West Coast fire fighter, Mike Fixter. He sent me a big single piece Pikie-like swimmer that sashays and another Jointed eel type that bass like so much they take a number. No reflection on Fixter, but I think that a person with moderate skills could produce a knock off Giant Pikie Swimmer (Jointed eel) that would catch. I know that his do. I think Fixter is over at Fiction a lot.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 PM

...I managed to pick up a Bob Hahn jointed giant pikie today and a 40-type swimmer...I too have heard good things about Fixter...now I just have to find them...I've also refinished and rebuilt an old jointed pikie a couple of times now...it's been that productive that I've been willing to invest the effort...thanks all...DB
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Crusty...waaay cool...I like the looks of the BM Jointeds (Creek Chub look-a-likes); those Hab's jointed Jr. Atoms look nice as well (I assume these are all high floaters...)...

That handcarved bunker belongs in an art gallery...does it swim? -DB
Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM

All great and worthy contributions to this thread. it surprises me that Gibbs Lures doesn't make a jointed eel of their own. They have to know there is a demand. Of course it could be that cost is a factor; keep in mind that the Pikie is really two plugs attached.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:30 AM

...as an amateur plug maker myself...I'm very impressed by the plugs that have been coming out over the past 5+ years by both pros and amateurs...many are things of beauty...I'd argue that this period has been a "renaisance" in the history of wooden plug making...DB
Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 AM

I would beware of swimmers that vibrate excessively. You don't want a swimmer that is too frantic. There is an ideal level of swim and application of swimmers should take current into account. Deep, your beginning to sound like Buddy Cianci with that Renaissance.