Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Old 04-16-2007, 04:40 PM

Default plug building

i have a lathe and everything i need as far as tools for making plugs, but i have a few questions. what wood is best? i have some blanks of mahogany and oak, are they good? after i turn the lure and drill a hole for the through wire, do i paint and seal it before i put the wire in? and also when it comes time to paint, does it really make a difference to use an airbrush? and one more thing, whats best for sealent?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: plug building

Start with something easy to work with. Red or white cedar or even pine are a good start. Harder woods are better for sub surface stuff but I would hold off on the hard woods to start. It seems like most paint before wiring, I like to seal then wire then paint and epoxy but there is no right way. Sealers are often debated, some use boiled linseed oil some use epoxy and there are some other options I use Waterlox Marine Sealer. I have done allot of plugs with rattle cans, you can do some nice stuff with out the airbrush. Have fun and be safe, if you google "plug building" you will find allot of info out there.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyraw View Post
Start with something easy to work with. Red or white cedar or even pine are a good start. Harder woods are better for sub surface stuff but I would hold off on the hard woods to start. It seems like most paint before wiring, I like to seal then wire then paint and epoxy but there is no right way. Sealers are often debated, some use boiled linseed oil some use epoxy and there are some other options I use Waterlox Marine Sealer. I have done allot of plugs with rattle cans, you can do some nice stuff with out the airbrush. Have fun and be safe, if you google "plug building" you will find allot of info out there.

well said...

air brushing is for wimps lol
Old 04-16-2007, 09:32 PM

Search this forum . A lot of good stuff posted here.