Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-05-2003, 01:01 PM

Here's a puzzler for you:

The Avalon Beach Patrol has a bunch of Subaru Bajas. They drive them all over the beach all the time. I've never seen one get stuck or have a problem. The Baja is built on the Outback base. Does this mean that an Outback can similarly drive all over the beach? If not, why not? I know if you get into super deep sugar sand, you really need a tall SUV, but the accesses in a lot of places are pretty clear and direct (not drifted up like they are out on the access to Breezy Point, where I've seen several stuck vehicles).

I'm trying to pick out a sensible family car, and I am fantasizing that I can take it out onto the beach, while still getting 24+ mpg and having it drive like a car. Am I dreaming?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:01 PM

Here's a puzzler for you:

The Avalon Beach Patrol has a bunch of Subaru Bajas. They drive them all over the beach all the time. I've never seen one get stuck or have a problem. The Baja is built on the Outback base. Does this mean that an Outback can similarly drive all over the beach? If not, why not? I know if you get into super deep sugar sand, you really need a tall SUV, but the accesses in a lot of places are pretty clear and direct (not drifted up like they are out on the access to Breezy Point, where I've seen several stuck vehicles).

I'm trying to pick out a sensible family car, and I am fantasizing that I can take it out onto the beach, while still getting 24+ mpg and having it drive like a car. Am I dreaming?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:45 PM

You're not dreaming. I've taken my '96 Outback on a number of beaches and I've never got in a bind (the new Subaru Outabcks's have a higher clearance... in fact the new Outbacks are barely one inch lower then a Ford Explorer.) Keep in mind that one should always use common sense. The only problems I've had to contend with are deep ruts... i.e. if you go into them head first the front spoiler can scoop sand up and direct it into your radiator and engine compartment. Also, when driving in extra deep tracks beware of rocks and such that can do damage to the underside.

"It is important to be as simple as possible, but, not simpler."
-- Albert Einstein