Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Winter Fishing Options ....

I am aware that we have done this before but some of us are new, others have evolved and still others are trying something new to them. This is a good place to reflect upon fishing options that some of us resort to when it is winter. Anything goes, as long as it is fishing -- stripers, Florida, guppies.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Winter Fishing Options ....

If boat fishing counts, I've long toyed with the idea of going on one of them way-offshore trips that the charter boat captains in Jersey go on in the deep winter. Boats like the Gambler and the Jamaica, which are both based in the Point Pleasant-Brielle area, go as far as 80 miles offshore to fish for groundfish like cod and pollack, and wreck species like sea bass. It ain't beach fishing, but it I've always thought it would be an interesting, and relatively inexpensive way, to break up the winter doldrums, and to bring home some high-quality protein for the table.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Being here in the sunny south, I have a lot more options in Winter than I had when I lived in New England though they are fewer this time of year.

I can drive down to the 149 mile long Indian River Lagoon and wade for or kayak for Redfish(Drum) of Seatrout. I live about the int middle of he lagoon but it is only a couple miles from my home and access is excellent.

Or I can drive to the beaches and surfcast for Pompano, Whiting and Bluefish. Or I can drive to one of the Inlets - Canaveral, Sebastian or Jupiter are from 20 to 40 miles from home and offer good surfcasting for Redfish(Drum), Flounder, or Snapper.

If I want to fish for Stripers this time of year, it's a hundred to two hundred mile drive to coastal Georgia and South Carolina.

From April through November those same areas also afford excellent fishing for Tarpon, Jack Crevelle and several species of shark.
Bill H
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM
SS/Veteran

The only thing I can contribute to this thread is I have a good friend that has a bait and tackle shop, runs a contracting business in the warmer months. Because he specializes in ice fishing and now the ponds and lakes have frozen over he is doing a land office business. Shoulder to shoulder customers from Thursday to Saturday buying bait and tackle, augers and sleds etc.

I have heard on my mini socials that Perch are much sought after, large quantity, skinned and fillet, cooked up and called Poor Boys Shimp.

This is so far from my interests, but is interesting to study the customers wants and lusts.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM

i love jigging for perch because they never come alone. You get one be ready for another. I knew we would hear from Bill Lagoonguy Hubbard and i would have been disappointed if we had not. But for me I am an incurable northener. I don't want no boar constrictors curling around my feet while fishing
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Last Winter the Thames was poor fishing because of far fewer holdovers. This year it's back to normal.

The Thames/Shetucket/Yantic bye-catch is incredible too. Walleye, Atlantic salmon, northern pike, searuns, largemouth, smallmouth, tomcod, name it.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Nifty, what is in that stretch of the Thames from the submarine base to Mohegan Sun?? Other than stripers?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM

I'm itching to get to the beach in central NJ. Folks are still catching short striper on bucktails and storm shad and some fish, larger ones, even, are still being caught on clam, I hear. I just have to coordinate weather, work, kids and girlfriend responsibilities.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Name:  Sue Florida R.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  26.4 KBThis is our baby daughter, Sue fishing jacks in Florida vacation.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
SS/Veteran

She is h-o-o-t looking! Is she available for giving lessons to an old fool with young eyes that likes to learn while he is enjoying some eye candy? I want to master the roll cast when there is obstructions behind me.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Merl, you'll have to register for fly casting lessons at LL Bean where she is a part-time instructor. Sue retires as a CG Captain very soon.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM

No one mentioned steelhead? Wonderful fishery up Pulaski way. Not for everyone though.
DZ
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz View Post
No one mentioned steelhead? Wonderful fishery up Pulaski way. Not for everyone though.
DZ
There is a search button and a good topic on it here. It is an enormous fishery but you will see things there that will boggle the mind. There is that bridge at the headwaters at Altmar beneath the hatchery where the steelhead stack up in the pool below. Great. But then fisherman line up literally elbow-to-elbow. I have seen old black and white photos in fishing books of trout fisherman making a circle elbow to elbow on opening day of trout season. But I never thought I would witness such a spectale in real life. Very cold inclement winter weather will thin out the crowds some. But surprisingly less than one would think. Kind of puts a damper on things. 8 to 20 lb steelhead.. fishing even better than their place of origin the pacific northwest.

Like you said; great fishery. But not for everyone.

Kind of reminds me of going out with a beautiful woman. Every guy wants the beautiful woman. But to actually experience it is not the fairytail envisioned. Every guy wants to hustle her. And she has a spoiled, bitchy attitide. With the exception of a few.. and Frank's daughter.

By the way, dz I enjoyed and learned from your book on the Block in the 80's.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM

Joyce and I went to Pulaski every winter for 15 years, some years as many as three weeks. I wrote stories about it and sold a lot of pictures. I laugh and actually lose respect for people who travel to the northwest in answer to a dream and catch nothing when five hours away steelies will cause your arms to ache. You try to tell them but they don't believe you. February in most pools there are few anglers and the steelhead are stacked. Its curse is that it is too easy. (somebody should pull up an old steelhead thread that is here) I would but it almost time for cocktails
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk Surf View Post
Nifty, what is in that stretch of the Thames from the submarine base to Mohegan Sun?? Other than stripers?
This time of year there is not much going on down there except for white perch in the coves, at least to my knowledge. Further up toward Norwich and into the Shetucket and Yantic are much better options. only a 10 minute drive from Foxwoods. In April things spread out with the herring run and then there are some juicy spots not far from Mohegan Sun. PM me if you head up that way.