Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Question Surf fishing Waders for the beach

Comments welcome before I respond to this email:

Quote:
Hi Bob,

I was wondering if you would be able to recommend any particular waders for someone who wanted to surf cast in and around NYC. I would be doing most, if not all, of this from a beach, and probably really only from April to August, maybe September. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

James
Quote:
Hi James,

Refer to: Surf Bags, Boots & Waders at http://stripersurf.com/bagswaders.html

I have "rules" for waders for surf fishing from the beach:

1: Don't buy cheap waders or super expensive waders. Both are bad investments for surf fishing. At the low price range look at Hodgman Cedar Run Chest Waders ($150 list), at the high end Orvis Endura Breathable Bootfoot Waders ($250). I have Orvis Breathable Bootfoot waders, they have lasted for several years however they are so old I sure as hell didn't pay $250 for them!

2: Buy waders made with Breathable fabric. In the Fall and into the December you can layer with insulated long underwear below standard jeans and you will be warm. I use breathable waders year round.

3: Bootfoot or Stocking Foot with Wading Boots? Fishing from sandy beaches Bootfoot waders are best because no matter what anyone tells you, you will get sand inside stocking foot waders/wading boots. That will drive you nuts. On the other hand Bootfoot waders are kind of clunky to walk great distances so if it's a long hike to your favorite fishing location you might consider stocking waders/wading boots or packing your bootfoot waders in a rucksack and then pulling them on, on the beach. That's what I do.

4: Bootfoot & Wading Boot SIZE: Make sure they do not fit tightly! You will want to use a moisture wicking sock and a normal sock so you will need room. This is especially important with Bootfoot waders since they are "rubber" and it is a poor insulating material. By the way, cotton sports socks suck, if the water is cold wear wool socks or backpacker's socks over the moisture wicking socks. Even if your body is warm, cold feet will make you miserable.

5: If you are going to fish from a jetty or rock piling:
A: Please buy Korkers or add Grip Studs to your boots.
B: Consider a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) they save lives.

6: Always, always wear a wading belt!

Fishing is usually poor in August. The two best months for stripers and bluefish are October and November in the NYC/Long Island/NJ area, don't quit in September!

Best Regards,
Bob D'Amico
StriperSurf.com
Tel: 732-997-9207

Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Surf fishing Waders for the beach

Outstanding response, Bob.

One thing I would personally add is a recommendation for LLBean waders, specifically the Flyweight II Bootfoot waders for around $160. LL Bean has an outstanding lifetime warranty and I know of several anglers who use their lower end waders until their used-up, then get a replacement.

But otherwise your response is a better written version of what I've told friends, including my neighbor Joe M, who I took surf fishing for the first time in many years this past weekend. He's 73, but never geared up properly for the surf, having done only casual surf angling from his family's lbi beachfront home, and boat fishing the rest of the time.

In "south jersey", there is an LL Bean store (as well as Orvis) over in Marlton.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 PM

I use Cabelas GII Bootfoot for the surf and freshwater. I've not used my thick neoprene stockingfoots in years.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Good response and I too would add LL Bean to the list!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Stores often have sales that you can take advantage of. We all must be seeing the various sales, llbean has one this weekend, including free shipping,
closest store I know of is at the promenade in Marlton
Attached Images