Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:53 AM

It's all a matter of economics. If there is a demand for the products someone will supply it.
The commercial guys wouldn't be out there if there was no demand for the what they do.

It's everyone's fault. You name it...people want to live by the water so they build up the estuaries to put houses on. The more houses the more pollution. Less breeding grounds = less fish.

Demand for food by an ever increasing population requires more food production per acre. How do we get that? More farm land, I don't think so. Fertilizer and pesticides are the answer. Then when it rains where does the excess go?

What I am trying to say is that finger pointing or taunting does no good at all. There is no 'one good answer'.

Take a look in the mirror and you see where the problems start. I am just a guilty as the next guy. Well maybe not just a guilty

I can't say that I don't like the commercial guys. I really don't know any of them. I can say that don't like the guy who leaves a skate or a shark on the beach to dry up, or the guy who drains his anti-freeze by the curb, or the guy who throws his garbage overboard because he doesn't want to take it to a garbage can.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:52 AM

People dont care about polluting our environment, fact.We have used the ocean forever as a waste system,bottom of striper fishing was also when we had the worst local water.Deal had primary treated sewage outfalls, take only solids out, pump the the rest.This was 1980, not 1900,the explosive growth along the East has put unreal pressure on the water system, probs with pfesteria,last summer had what 600 mil gal of sewage in 1 spill, sewage spills every heavy rain,CANT BLAME THE RECS FOR EVERYTHING!
Old 12-23-2003, 12:59 PM

Mighty, If you live in Martinsville, you live near the speedway. It's a small town and everything is around the track. I usually try to leave town when the races get started. With a population of 15,416 it turns into 115,416 real quick and they all think they are in the race. Whew!! Mad house.
CnR,
I doubt, in our life time or our grandchildren's life time, we will see the total devastation of any of our sporting species, because we have forums like this to voice our concerns and develop the proper management skills to maintain fishing prosperity for all of us, comm's and rec's alike. Some of us are hard core, like yourself, about controlling commercial guys from raping the oceans, so you can sit on the banks and selfishly catch all the fish you want. As it has been said before, we are the reasons why Fish Picker and Bentrod are out there. Believe it or not, there are millions of people in this grand ole' world of ours who like to eat fish, but could care less about catching them. Heck, I even know a few who like to catch'em, but can't stand to eat'em. Ain't that funny? My nephew is one of them.
Anyhow, we can bicker and fuss for a life time about who is killing the fish, but you are just waisting good air, or , in this case, good energy pushin' these here keys. It will be the same argument for as long as humans are living on this planet, so quit beating up on ya brother and lets figure out how to manage the problem and take selfish and blame out of the equation, please.
Uhhh? What we gonna do with our filter feeder friend Mr. Manhadnen?
Old 12-23-2003, 02:25 PM
SS/Veteran

MR Tuck AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
OTTENS HARBOR GILLNETTERS ASSOCIATION ><>XXX
Old 12-23-2003, 08:27 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

You got me all wrong Tuck..never mind bentrod...

I don't want all the fish for myself to catch...

I could give a donout hole about me catching fish...

I only want people to understand that the oceans are finite, the fish are VERY finite, and if things keep going the way they are...you are a smart guy...Who (what) is going to feed the EXPLODING human population?

Add to this mix all the pollution...etc...etc...I hope you get the picture.

You are wrong...people don't demand fish to eat, they buy it because IT IS AVAILABLE for them to buy...bought to you buy your local commercial fisherman...

Now, tell me the truth..stripers(wild) are not
available for sale in NJ...alright you catch some yourself, and if you elect to, you take some home to eat..but, the rest of the people are not picketing the local fish store demanding striped bass...

These guys (comms) keep saying that all people have the right to to eat something which they don't even know that exists...

They are trying to create the demand.

You, and people like you, are part of the problem, not the consummers( they consumme what's available, if available).

By giving an ear to these PROVEN DESTROYERS of the seas, you are part of the problem.

Tell me, what good has come from commercial fishing, other than the destruction of most species...now don't tell me they feed people...people live in places where they don't see a fish, never mind eat a fish.

They have rules in Europe, and Japan, I am sure, what happened to their stocks?

By the time you and most people realize what these destroyers of the oceans are doing with their ignorant minds and fish finders, and what not, what's left?...it is too late..

Sorry for the ramble man...Alqueada(******* bastards) can kill you, me and a lot of people...

Wake up.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

mr catch and ??, im sorry to say that now there is a case of mad cow in the u.s. who would of ever thought of that?? lets destroy the comm fishing industry and run down all the boats , drive them out of buisness, and let THE NETS DRYROTT.. someday you may be standing in line with a plastic bag while BENTROD is packing out just BEGGING for a couple fish to eat... you never know...

BENTROD
Old 12-23-2003, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

it would be just like the marines, you love us then mr catchn?? ..

BENTROD
Old 12-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

mr catchn?? , i bet you change your tune then

BENTROD
Old 12-23-2003, 08:48 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

Well aware of mad cow disease bentrod...

Or about mercury in tuna, PCB's, heavy metals, sewage etc...in the local fish that you people peddle to the consummer?

Don't worry bentrod, I have other options, as long as I can take a flight out, if not, I can grow food myself, I have the land, I have the know how...chickens alone will provide me with enough protein, and I will feed them corn and greens bentrod, NOT your fargin meal made from bunker...

Hello....time to mend your nets...
Old 12-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

mr CATCHN ???, im sorry to be the one to have to inform you,, YOU"R NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT LIVES ON THIS PLANET...its not all about what YOU WANT. there are alot of other factors . your attitude is destroying the world and our fisheries. your the one who needs to WAKE UP. JUST REMEMBER , this is christmas time and your scroodge greedy , dirty , all for you , way of thinking is not apropriate. CHEER UP CATCHN ???

BENTROD
Old 12-23-2003, 10:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Mr CatchNRelease good evening :
Now, tell me the truth..stripers(wild) are not
available for sale in NJ...alright you catch some yourself, and if you elect to, you take some home to eat..but, the rest of the people are not picketing the local fish store demanding striped bass...

These guys (comms) keep saying that all people have the right to to eat something which they don't even know that exists...

They are trying to create the demand.

What about the people of the world.It is not just the people on NJ that are gettin ripped off!!!!
People don't know about this topic because,The topic of striped bass has been swepted under the rug. Kinda like out of site out of mind.Over the past few week's, do you know how many people have stopped me on the street and asked why I/we weren't allowed to catch bass ? Now Thur the press the publics eyes are slowly being opened.
The demand is and has always been there.But if you can't get beef you'll eat pork.

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
OTTENS HARBOR GILLNETTERS ASSOCIATION ><>XXX<><
Old 12-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

fishpicker be careful on eating beef.. the cattle are starting to drop like flies. start resting up we might be called to duty soon. christy whitman is supposed to give a public apology for her destructive ways. its going to be like being drafted, well have to dragg er round the clock

BENTROD
Old 12-24-2003, 12:26 PM

Man, you guys are a trip.
Fish Picker, you got that fish cart warmed up, wheels lubed, ready to go to market and shove weakfish, specks and such into peoples faces demanding them to eat more fish? How about you Bent?
CnR, as you are well aware, I am from the South and we love to eat all kinds of fish. We eat them all. Everything. Name it, we eat it, so you can't tell me that the commercial guys are creating demand. You can't talk me into eating more fish if I don't want it cause I already do. I have been known, during oyster season, to take a 4 hour trip to Williamson NC, Sunnyside's oyster roast, MMMMMM!!!!, just for dinner and drive back home. Do you honestly think that the general public is so stupid that they can be talked into eating more fish just so the comm's can pillage the seas?
Anyone with common sense would know that all organic things are finite. All of those fishes you are talking about were here millions of years before humans and I would say that they will be here millions of years after we are dead and gone. Our biggest problem is us. We are self destructive. Humans are the only animals that enjoys selfishness and that is our biggest problem.

Let's see. Tomorrow, we take all of the fish out of the markets, put locks and chains on all of the commercials boats, throw those guys in jail, heck, lets just shoot'em. Shoot'em! Shoot'em! Shoot'em down! Dig a big ole' pit and lay'em down! Fill'em full of lead, man, those pigs, and lets just see how long it take for the dust to settle.
I can see it now, Emirl's says, " Sorry folks. I know I said we were going to be preparing blackened Tuna steaks today, but our President, Mr. CATCHnRELEASE has put a BAM! BAM! on the commercial fishing industry, so it will be a nice chicken noodle soup that we will be serving today to our local fisherman who are out of work. Crowd says,"AHHHHHHHH."
Why is there a need for you to be so extreme? You act like you have been living on this planet for thousands of years. The ocean makes up 75% of this rock. Don't you think that there is another way, so all of us can keep on fishing? You sound like commercial guys are demon spawn. That ain't right, man.
I am as recreational a fisherman as there will ever be. I do everything that I can to be enviromentally aware everyday and try to make things better around me by being concerned with all of MAN'S destructive means. There is a place for all of us here, but there is no need to be slamming and smashing heads just to have it flip flopped to what you want. Let's get it together and fix it.
I'm tired of the soap box derby. All of that climbing up and down and barking at the crowd has got me hungry. I think I might just get me a box of Gordon's fish sticks and pop'em in the toaster oven. (little humor)

I won't be back for a few days, So, CnR, and everyone, have a Merry Christmas and safe Hollidays.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:48 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

Well tuck...

Tell me about dodos, carrier pigeons, buffalo, cod, etc...etc...

Get a grasp man, I never said that nobody shouldn't eat fish at any time, or for that matter meat...

It is the extremes, greed, greed , fffkyeng greed etc...

What happens when the fish stocks became non existent ( Chilean sea bass, does that ring a bell)

Anyway, you, bent,fishp...mainstream...thinking.. same old problems....

I have a big bone to pick with party, head, private boat fishing, but that's another story.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Why do you have a bone with boats only, aren't they doing the same as you?

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
OTTENS HARBOR GILLNETTERS ASSOCIATION ><>XXX<><