Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

Ah..Digger, you are asking to many reasonable questions...

So, stop it now...

Everybody knows that the Oceans are being depleted of fish, mammals, etc, and filled with poisons, garbage, etc...

Yea smart one up above...my barbs are crushed, I don't kill 8% of the fish I release, and I know that I am going to kill some,,,

But you comms, stick their air bladders and send them deep(sea) six...(Bass in NJ of course)

Those numbers don't show up in any records do they?

Hello...
Old 01-05-2004, 09:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Tic Tic Tic BooMMMMMMM

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
OTTENS HARBOR GILLNETTERS ASSOCIATION ><>XXX<><
Old 01-05-2004, 09:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Mr CnR I see that you read some of the BS on the Other Striper board .
I can't post on the other channel so I'm glad that you brought it to us . Ask yourself Why . Why would we fool with those fish . If in fact there were 10 to 12 boats doing that then where was John Q Law ? Why didn't that make the press ? You mean to tell me that again at this day and age of the cell phone nobody called the LAW .
That BS story sound just like the one that was posted here about the big " striper Kill " that didn't happen . Hell those guys would kill/waste a fish down there for a 1.80 .
Why can't you get it . The faster you get in and out the more you make . So why would they waste a day killin fish . I guess it was like the rebels up off Sea Isle loading up on fluke . Do you realize that there are trip limits .
Facts not part truths Facts not bait shop BS stories .

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA

[This message was edited by Fish Picker on 01-05-04 at 08:58 PM.]
Old 01-05-2004, 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CATCHnRELEASE:
Ah..Digger, you are asking to many reasonable questions...

So, stop it now...

NO, don't stop. These are good questions. I am not a menhaden fisherman and have my hands full keeping up with the regs concerning the fish species I fish for. I can tell you that when National Marine Fisheries Service calculates squid quotas that part of that quota is set aside for marine mammals. I hope someone has answers to your questions. RY
Old 01-05-2004, 11:56 PM

As for the “who” the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) manages menhaden (and lots of other species) with advise from scientists (on the Tech committee) and others interested (Rec, Comm and NGO) on the advisory panel. Utimately it is the managers who choose (mostly reps from each of the Atlantic coast states).

As for the how, the threshold includes an estimate of mortality from natural causes (predation, starvation and other causes). The target mortality is a little more arbitrary and is based more on past performance…with a pretty big cut to be conservative. Targets are where you kind of want to be at, but the threshold is more absolute

None of the estimates directly take into account menhaden filter feeding role. The idea is to maximize the number of adults, and to keep the age structure to older fish.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:43 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

Mr. Picker...

COD...BOOMMMM

WHALES...BOOMMMMM

LING....BOOOOMMMMM

WHITING....BOOOOMMMM

S. BASS...BOOOOMMMM..NICE recovery...which won't last long...

HAKE...BOOOOMMMMM

MANY other booommms...I am talking about the boats and industry, besides the fish...

We saved your butt, with the 3 mile limit on bunker....while your GIANT friends are BOOMING them in the CHESSIE...

Pretty soon...BOOOOmmm...for Picker and his friends...

BOOOOmmmm...Boooommmm

Come on Picker, moderation, moderation,....ever heard those words?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM

Ok, we post back and forth and forth and back, we get no closer to an answer. we fail to open our ears to the other ones points because we are so busy making our own.

The answer to this issue is in this thread. We can't see eye to eye. We argue over who is to blame, and point fingers, instead of looking inside us for a solution. We are big on complaining, and lacking in understanding.

Thats the problem guys, we humans can't see beyond our own needs, and fail to see what is in our species best interests. If a bunch of guys in an open forum like this can't see eye to eye and find solutions that are fair as possible to everyone including the species in question, how do we expect a problem to get solved? By complaining, pointing fingers, and insulting the other side we become the problem. We fail to listen, we fail to hear we fail to even attempt to understand. It's pretty sorry. This happens over and over again in anything humans need to negotiate, god help us all!

Can we move on now and let this thread die? Maybe work together to find a solution by sharing ideas instead of pointing fingers? Or is that beyond us?

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 01-06-2004, 10:38 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

OK Carpenter...I will go first...

My only interests are the fish (balance), and other species...

The hell with me...I have no interest in selfish endeavors...
Old 01-06-2004, 11:37 PM
SS/Veteran

CnR rocks or straight up ??? (tic)
I feel that I am upholding my job as a moderator when I ask to see the facts . Yes facts ,SAT'S , numbers , I know in this world that us comms have ruined nobody has kept records .(tic)
I read a great post today about striper fishing in NC . I placed a call to my southern connection just to get the facts . I didn't know that in NC the comm are only allowed 10 thats 10 fish a man 2 times a week thats 2 times a week . I put another call back to the wise rebel gillnetter to see just how many permits there were in the state on NC . (no luck) So no matter how big or small the boat is they are allowed either 20 fish a week , or 40 fish provided that there are two men on the vessel . No more then 40 . (tic)
So there goes another BS story out the window . Mr CnR you see thats facts . The same facts that viewers are being deprived of . The same facts that are being tucked away and hid then replaced by half baked stories .(tic)
As a moderator I feel as if I have just preformed my duties !
I thought that you were opposed to boat fishing (seasickness)then how would you no if the hake , cod , whiting ,etc are even bitting . So you don't fish on boats but you know that all the fish are gone . (BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM )

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
Old 01-07-2004, 12:43 AM

So CNR, if it is all doom and gloom, why bother?

It is actually pretty ironic. The closure of NJ state waters to bunker harvest (along with RI, CT, NY, DE, MD and others) may have contributed to the depletion in the Bay. It is one of the last places you can harvest menhaden on the east coast.

Of course there is always the EEZ…outside of the jurisdiction of any of the states. What then? I doubt NMFS will be as proactive as the states when it comes to menhaden and the issue of forage. Will the menhaden fleet be pushed offshore to harvest? Before the bunker can get into the bays to be fish food? . It has in some ways already started to happen off NJ.

Be careful what you wish for….
Old 01-07-2004, 12:33 PM

Clean up the bays, rivers , stop dumping, upgrade sewage systems, non pt. pollution and maybe just maybe we can get some better water for spawning fish .This should be what both COMS and RECS can agree on.The biomass numbers are a joke,the whole process is just one big FISH GRAB, get as much as you can and as quick.BUT most dont care about the water, they go home dump 30 lbs of pesticides and fertilizer and ***** about the coms killing everthing.GO FIGURE!
Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
SS/Veteran

I agree with Curl. Living near the Raritan River, I believe you can stop killing every game and bait fish in the mid atlantic; but one sniff of our waters and they will turn away from reproducing. Does'nt history prove this out? Were'nt there documented breeding populations in all the smaller rivers along the coastline a century or more ago?

roger.smith@stripersurf.com
Old 01-07-2004, 01:10 PM

we dump the pesticides and fertilizers, sewage, boiling water and everthing else and algea, micro organisms eat it up. the filter feeders, oysters, clams, scallops, barnacles, anemones and Menhaden along with many others, eat them up. Not saying that this is a healthy food chain, by no means, we definatly spoiling the system, but it does show that with management from humans, mother nature has a plan to help keep populations thriving of all species. We really have to focus on all the stuff way up the rivers. Roanoke, Lynchburg, Rappahannock, Richmond, DC. All of these cities contribute to the desecration of the Chessie along with many others that populate the watershed alleyways to the bay.
Guys, we are going to have to pull together so as to keep groups like PETA from influencing big money. We will spend day after day fussing and behind our back we will all loose our God given right to harvest game, if we don't watch out.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:14 PM

Tuck , the human management is a big joke, I WONT FISH IN POLLUTION, refuse to eat anything that comes into that area.Clams, mussels, bottom fish, stripers, you can have em all.Personally I avoid the Raritan bay, LARGEST CESSPOOL of saltwater I know.Also one the great spawning areas in our area, some management going on up here.Digger has some access to sewage overflows, those numbers are INCREDIBLE,daily , weekly, it flows on.THE main prob is HUMANS!When was the last new sewage plant you saw constructed?The fed, states ,and local really dont care.The EPA, ANOTHER JOKE , geez they made that bozo Whitman, ex gov NJ, HEAD OF THE EPA.As gov in NJ SHE GUTTED THE EPA AGENCY, perfect for fed position , no?Tuck ,red tides, disease have hurt our ecosystem and most of this is human discard.The humans plan is to have micro organisms eat up the pollution, rofl, remember phytoplankton and photoplankton generate most of the oxygen in our atmoshere.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Great post Curl . Here is something that I found on another web site . This is very sickening and this is just the tip of the ice berg .

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA