Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:11 PM

Now the fall run is in full gear. I am wondering how would you fish differently in the fall then in the spring. Let's take an example of a point on south shore beach in LI. Would you spend more time fishing the east side of a point or the right side of a point? Same goes for Jersey shore, would you fish the north side of a point or the south side of a point?
Old 11-12-2003, 05:11 PM

Now the fall run is in full gear. I am wondering how would you fish differently in the fall then in the spring. Let's take an example of a point on south shore beach in LI. Would you spend more time fishing the east side of a point or the right side of a point? Same goes for Jersey shore, would you fish the north side of a point or the south side of a point?
Old 11-12-2003, 05:24 PM

Try all angles... fan casting around the point, trying to locate fish. Try to let the plug swing with the current, if possible.

Shorty
Old 11-12-2003, 05:26 PM

If by jersey shore you mean sandy hook, west and east being "bug light" and "rip" in that order. I would fish the rip. Save the bug light for the monster fluke.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:58 PM
ferret

Duh, the side with the fish, no seriously the side with the fish. There is no answer you gotta try both until you find the fish.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:12 PM
spence

I don't think spring/fall has as much to do with it as the conditions at that moment. It all comes down to current and wind pushing the bait to one side or the other.

You should be able to make a good guess by reading the water. If all else fails fish both.

-spence
Old 11-12-2003, 06:34 PM

There is not always going to be a school of bait and or birds working at your feet. More often there will be no bait or birds in sight. If you know that there is bait at either spot then fish were the bait is but if you dont see any around dont pack up and leave. Bait doesn't stay put long anyways.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:03 PM

Hard to know quite which side of a point to fish unless you also know what the tides and currents are doing, and what the structure is...and, of course, where the fish tend to hang out in those parts.

In the fall, all I do differently is dress warmer and maybe do a bit more daytime fishing, because the daytime hours seem to get somewhat more productive in the late season.

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll piss away the kids' tuition fund on fancy equipment he doesn't need, stay out late at night, come home smelling like a dead mackerel, and start hanging around with some really questionable characters."
-- the Ex
Old 11-12-2003, 07:08 PM

Yeah, I think it would depend on how the wind and the tides were working.

If wind is blowing against one side, that might be pushing baitfish into that side.

If tide is pushing against one side, then the bass might be on the opposite site right at the point, facing the current, waiting to ambush the baitfish being swept towards them.

The interaction of these two phenomena are making my brain cells hurt, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:26 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

I just fish.

Here, there and everywhere.
Do I catch anything? (providing that there is something around to catch), that's another story.

Do I smell a skunk?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:48 PM

Hi! Wee Wee. Points or point bars are akin to an artificial reef on an open beach. Spring or fall doesn't make a difference. You'll have deeper water of course on both sides but the west side of a point bar just about always has a bowl with much deeper water than the east side because the point devoids it of sand. My first choice if you have some white water is the point itself, lacking that it would always be the west side not that you can't catch fish on the east side. Quiet night with no white on the bar and not much water to fish it will find fish sitting in that deeper bowl just hanging out. Incoming without a strong SW with have the wash over effect into that bowl but then again a strong SW can have the same effect to the east side? Try left, straight and right? You never know! Prospector
Old 11-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Go to the end of the point, stake out 12 rods, maybe bait most of them. Get a cold frosty one out of the cooler, then take a seat. Maybe watch some TV on a protable or listen to some tunes. Check bait every once in awhile, maybe catch a fish or two. After a few hours, start packing it in, but call everyone you know and tell them there's an all out red hot blitz, then leave. Post about the "blitz" on a few websites giving GPS numbers and then hit Red Lobster.

If it's the first time to that spot, I'd start out on the side furthest away from the direction of the tide/current. Figure the fish would be there waiting for a meal to drift out/in.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:30 PM

gottog have you been following me around? You got my fishing trips down to a T.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Old 11-12-2003, 10:15 PM

If it's the first time to that spot, I'd start out on the side furthest away from the direction of the tide/current. Figure the fish would be there waiting for a meal to drift out/in.

On an open beach, it is hard to read the current. The water spill over the both sides of the point. However, I have observe the bait fishs tend to move from left to right in outgoing tide, and from right to left in incoming tide. Is that an indication of a cut to the right of the point?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:08 PM
SS/Veteran

When winds are above 10 knots, I usually find the fish to be on the windward side of the point (North side) when it's blowing NW to NE on an east facing beach. Likewise a SW to SE would put me on the South side on the same beach.

One way to gauge which way the fish are moving is to see what side of the mouth the fish is hooked in. Again, in the above situations I normally find stripers hooked in the right side on N winds, left side on S winds.

Doug