Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Exclamation August Fishing Reports 2011

Post them up!

As much or little info as you like to share.
Pictures are always welcome.

More info on the NJ regulations can be found here - - > http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2011/maregsum11.pdf

2011 Federal Recreational Regulations for Minimum Size, Possession Limits and Seasons - - > http://www.eregulations.com/newjerse...ederal-limits/

New Jersey State Record Saltwater Fish - -> http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/recfish-salt.htm

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: August Fishing Reports 2011

my report is that i expect to get out later this week
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 AM

I might be out again tomorrow night here in sea isle city.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 AM

I broke my rod sadly but the good thing is it gives me a reason to buy a new one! Then I'll be hitting the hook hard wednesday or thursday night
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Soo my 1st report for august is what is to be expected for an august report....fished same area as yesterday from 8am till 1pm....4 small fluke all about 15in,a TON of perfect bait sized snappers all about 4-5in live lined them and had 1 really nice hit with no hook up just an empty hook...and the Rays were everywhere in the wash all day had to see over a dozen some small some not so small...cool to watch fly thru the water with the wing tips just poking out once in a while... water was warm as a tub and crystal clear till the afternoon when the wind kicked up a hard South...oh and the weather man was WAY off said it would be west allday wrong light W in the am then S from 11am on no flies... those morons r never right about anything
Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 PM

How did u catch those snappers so that you could live line them? That would be great to use instead of chunks of bunker or squid strips
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin420 View Post
oh and the weather man was WAY off said it would be west allday wrong light W in the am then S from 11am on no flies... those morons r never right about anything
Yea Blazin. I always chack multipule sources (i.e., weatherunderground, windfinder etc.) for days before I go. They are nearly always wrong, especially about the wind. I always ask myself why I even bother to check
Glad you at least go a few fluke. Always fun on light tackle. That nice hit on the live snapper could have been "the one". Its those kinds of things that keep me up at night and keep me coming back
Good luck every one.
JD
Old 08-02-2011, 06:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdbike View Post
Yea Blazin. I always chack multipule sources (i.e., weatherunderground, windfinder etc.) for days before I go. They are nearly always wrong, especially about the wind. I always ask myself why I even bother to check
Glad you at least go a few fluke. Always fun on light tackle. That nice hit on the live snapper could have been "the one". Its those kinds of things that keep me up at night and keep me coming back
Good luck every one.
JD
Me to i check them all and of course always my first concern is the wind and like u said never get it right...It was a decent fish that took that snapper he really slammed it...i told myself it was a ray...was thinking about it the whole way home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastCast91 View Post
How did u catch those snappers so that you could live line them? That would be great to use instead of chunks of bunker or squid strips
i use a snapper zapper u can get them at most tackle shops its basically a foam wieghted bobber with about 18in of line with a small hook that has a white tube on it real it in pretty quick and the little buggers jump right on it if they r around...BTW GREAT big fluke bait......

report for today went on the Fisherman with my wife,uncle and cousin tuff day fished the ocean with 8oz allday managed 1 keeper @18in and 15 shorts my wife had about 10 shorts ...back to the sand tomorrow or kayak?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Thumbs up Re: August Fishing Reports 2011

Never had much success livelining snappers from the surf but they are fun to catch on very light tackle - or a freshwater rod/reel. Kids love to catch them.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 PM
SS/Veteran

That's the one... Thanx Bob for the pic
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the pic i figured that but i couldnt picture it in my head throwing that in the surf, I could see using it in the bay and all
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

get a 5gal bucket and a bubbler, hit the surf or dock areas (with a sabiki rig) first, collect a dozen or so snapper in 2 gal of water, then hit a head boat.

those and a few peanuts if you can find them, will get you the bigger fish on the boat. try just fishing them on a bare hook/3way rig/ lightest
sinker that will tap the bottom.

if you don't want to keep them alive, strip the snappers and fish off your favorite flounder (er, fluke for yous nawthunuhs) rig.

just sayin'
Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Wink Re: August Fishing Reports 2011

Fishing from shore, I always bring down a small freshwater setup, ultra-light, and use either real small kastmaster or phoebe spoons. A little jigging and I was picking em up left and right bout 5 - 8" long. Had two real nice hits livelining, but nothing to show for it. Had a real big fluke hit on Saturday using a 2oz spro and gulp minnow, with a teaser and gulp on top. Right on the shoreline, he flipped his head and bit through the line on the spro. Felt heavy, looked well over 20", cursed a lot, but it's good to know they're in the surf. If you want rays, throw bunker chunks. Picked one up on Saturday, 25-30 lber, swalled the hook good so I cut the line at the mouth and put her back in. They hit anything, even lures, so have some fun. Will try raking for calicos on Friday. Maybe get some offseason stripers.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM
SS/Veteran

Fished the hook today 7am till 2 ....fluke were biting good till about 10ish had 6 all about 16in or so white and chartruese both worked...snappers all over eatin my tails...so i thru out the popper and caught 1 right after the other lived line all caught and hooked up with a nice fluke but it was 1/4in short he was fat too...what r ya gonna do...he swam away happy...from 11-2 very slow only had a couple bites so i packed it in before the rain started....

1 more day off and im up in the air about tomorrow..yak/crab/or beach...decisions decisions
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM

Hit the beach in BH today. Kids landed 4 stargazers (one really fat!), three sea robins, one snapper (my 4-year old caught that one) and two short flounder. What a blast. Think I'll bring a little spinner tomorrow so they can catch up some snappers for me to live-line.