Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-08-2020, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Winter 2020

Long Branch for the last couple hours of the rising tide yesterday: nothing for an hour, then one bump. In the next 25 minutes 4 fish, all in the same spot, all less than 21 or 22". All on an A007 w/ a fluorescent red tail....then a bump. Then nothing for the last hour until dark as the NE wind rose and was blowing pretty hard by the time I quit. I drove home in the rain >>> snow.
It's not over, but I think I can see "over" from where I'm sitting.

I made the mistake of stopping in at the Windmill and having a 'dog. It was delicious and I shouldn't ever do that again!
Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

old stomping grounds for me....
Old 01-08-2020, 01:57 PM

Those dogs are always good
Old 01-08-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
Those dogs are always good
That's what makes them deadly.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
That's what makes them deadly.
its the Kane head high that always gets me
Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I don't but if I get some time, I'll check with my local rod builder...maybe by the weekend if no one pipes up before.

Ping me if I forget. He's a true old timer and a wealth of knowledge.
I was told that the reason for the first guide to collapse was for a easy stow in a tube.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:17 AM

Bay, my friend Tom said that (as you probably already knew) both Lami and Fenwick made the yellow blanks but if the rod has not been restored it is probably a lami.
Also "As far as I know the only reason for that folding guide was convenience and storage.. if that rod was not restored it's probably a lamiglas cause as far as I know fenwick always used brown and gold wraps.. hope I helped"
Old 01-12-2020, 04:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Bay, my friend Tom said that (as you probably already knew) both Lami and Fenwick made the yellow blanks but if the rod has not been restored it is probably a lami.
Also "As far as I know the only reason for that folding guide was convenience and storage.. if that rod was not restored it's probably a lamiglas cause as far as I know fenwick always used brown and gold wraps.. hope I helped"
Thanks rob, I would like to fish the spring with it, but eventually I need to get it rewrapped, the flexcoat is cracked at the foot of the guides, it could use new cork tape and I might add a reel seat. For now I think I?ll tape one of my greenies on with mono to honor the man that fished this rod in the 70?s-80?s at the hook. His name was ?Whimpy? Kenny.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:58 PM

Tom is someone who has a passion for rebuilding rods. I had 3 of my father in laws old rods completely redone. Two conventional and one sponning. I'm sure you have great guys up your way, if you don't do everything yourself, that is. I think Joe on this site loves to retore or build new as well... though he's a bit far away LOL
Old 01-14-2020, 06:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Thanks rob, I would like to fish the spring with it, but eventually I need to get it rewrapped, the flexcoat is cracked at the foot of the guides, it could use new cork tape and I might add a reel seat. For now I think I?ll tape one of my greenies on with mono to honor the man that fished this rod in the 70?s-80?s at the hook. His name was ?Whimpy? Kenny.
Quote:
Tom is someone who has a passion for rebuilding rods. I had 3 of my father in laws old rods completely redone. Two conventional and one sponning. I'm sure you have great guys up your way, if you don't do everything yourself, that is. I think Joe on this site loves to retore or build new as well... though he's a bit far away LOL
Do either of you have experience with cutting an old fiberglass blank? That rod in my pic is 11' and it really just sits in the garage. Don't see me using it as is but, if I cut off the butt section and made it a 7' or 8' then maybe it could be used back bay
Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 PM

Bay..
I have an old honey lamiglas from the early 70s which has straight metal guides. it was a hand-me-down back in the 80s and I was told it was a Lami glass as there are no markings on it whatsoever which would tell me that.
Your Rod was either previousley restored or is a newer version as there are ceramic inserts in the guides.
If you are going to remove and replace the cork grip there should be some type of markings along the butt section of the rod which may tell the tail.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Do either of you have experience with cutting an old fiberglass blank? That rod in my pic is 11' and it really just sits in the garage. Don't see me using it as is but, if I cut off the butt section and made it a 7' or 8' then maybe it could be used back bay
I don't, the only info I got on cutting was from my friend Tom who was asked, and tried several times, to make a 1 piece rod into a 2 piece, but apparently the way they make one piece blanks make it impossible, not enough reinforcement in the middle of the blank.

I had heard many talk about cutting 1 to 2 feet off the butt, however 3 or 4 seems like you may run into trouble. But, if you aren't using, and don't care about, the rod, you might as well try it.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:13 AM

I think the season for beach fishing is truly finished when the thread is converted to rod building / refurbishing. sigh...
March is just around the corner! Maybe I'll be able to learn how to fish the RB warm flats this year.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I think the season for beach fishing is truly finished when the thread is converted to rod building / refurbishing. sigh...
March is just around the corner! Maybe I'll be able to learn how to fish the RB warm flats this year.
Hope 2020 is better than 2019, was very slow for me. 2018 was great spring up here.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
Bay..
I have an old honey lamiglas from the early 70s which has straight metal guides. it was a hand-me-down back in the 80s and I was told it was a Lami glass as there are no markings on it whatsoever which would tell me that.
Your Rod was either previousley restored or is a newer version as there are ceramic inserts in the guides.
If you are going to remove and replace the cork grip there should be some type of markings along the butt section of the rod which may tell the tail.
Thank you for the information