Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Sept. & October Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
My 3rd weekend in a row up there; going to make it 4 in a row?

Fishing was hot on Saturday and slow on Sunday.
Bonus steelhead on this trip.

Crowds aren't an issue if you're willing to hike a mile or two through the woods!
Great pics JB!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Happy Birthday BERNIE, (Giacommin) my cuz. It was at least 53 years ago when you brought me out to the hook for the first times. And to sill be able to bring me out to the hook at your age still makes my day. Enjoy your day, see you up here soon.
Happy Birthday too! You ave done well!!!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:36 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quick evening trip to the surf with wife and dogs... there were some smooth doggies running the very very rough surf. Hits every cast with fishbites, and just some small blues harrasing my mullet rig.

Of course it was a beautiful day until we got down there, and saw the fog/clouds roll in off the ocean... perfect for me, not so much for my guests

Dogs had a blast, tons of surfers still out, water is still warm.

Hope to do a backbay trip on Friday, but work is getting in the way

Storm surge is still very strong down here, was amazing at low tide how far the ocean would run up the beach on our flat surf when those big swells would come in. Very visible how bad the rip currents would be.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:35 PM

Struck out over the weekend in the back. Hit a couple of new spots that could be better in the spring, worked some shadow lines under a few bridges and then had a nice peanut blitz in the morning with mostly small fish on them but a few larger ones in the mix, couldn't buy a hit. Even the guy next to me doing the snag and drop came up empty. Still cool to see that much bait around.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:11 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

It'd be nice to run into a peanut blitz down here, even if I got skunked.

Always did best trying small poppers at the edges if possible, but I'm sure you and the other guy tried that!

Down here, I can count on one hand the number of surf blitzes I've seen in 15 years. They must happen, but not when I'm around....
Old 09-26-2017, 04:58 PM

Out over the weekend I dropped one fish that pulled drag missed one more hit....walked around and caught a nocturnal keeper fluke on a swimmer...noticed fish feeding around me but could not get any commitments from bass or blues
Old 09-27-2017, 11:10 AM

I was out at sunrise this morning and fished the big surf out front in Stone Harbor. NE wind blowing sand down the shoreline, blasting the shins on the tidal beach. Managed a few dogfish just after sunrise on clams, but that beats the skunk I had yesterday a both low and high tides. Using BIG hooks that I feel the snappers picking at, but too little to get the hook in their mouths
Old 09-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
It'd be nice to run into a peanut blitz down here, even if I got skunked.

Always did best trying small poppers at the edges if possible, but I'm sure you and the other guy tried that!

Down here, I can count on one hand the number of surf blitzes I've seen in 15 years. They must happen, but not when I'm around....

I did work a popper, may have been too big or not the right color who knows, figured I'd have success with a 3/4 yellow bucktail and the yellow teaser and working under the schools but when the snag and drop guys were striking out knew it was going to be one of them mornings. It was hard to find the edges, there were like 6 to 8 big schools of peanuts getting harassed.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedfellas View Post
I did work a popper, may have been too big or not the right color who knows, figured I'd have success with a 3/4 yellow bucktail and the yellow teaser and working under the schools but when the snag and drop guys were striking out knew it was going to be one of them mornings. It was hard to find the edges, there were like 6 to 8 big schools of peanuts getting harassed.
Sometimes the only thing that will work in those situations is going EXTRA large and standing out or ripping in a lure extra fast (like an SP minnow).

Gotta stand out or try for the reaction strike
Old 09-27-2017, 01:53 PM

Colder weather just over the horizon... fall is coming and I do look forward to the prospect of my first nice striper of the season. Yes!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Hit NoMoco surf yesterday from 4-6PM, worked a mile or so of beach during the outgoing. Got into a good school peanuts within casting range and was getting small blues every cast on a small epoxy jig which was dropped directly ontop of them. Nothing bigger than 12 inches or so. Was hoping the big dogs would show up, but it never happened. The water was clear, calm, and still pretty warm.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedfellas View Post
Yea I've been seeing blitzes like that all the time here and i know theres fish under them but no matter what i use i cant get any fish to hit
Old 09-27-2017, 06:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Sometimes the only thing that will work in those situations is going EXTRA large and standing out or ripping in a lure extra fast (like an SP minnow).

Gotta stand out or try for the reaction strike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudacuda View Post
Yea I've been seeing blitzes like that all the time here and i know theres fish under them but no matter what i use i cant get any fish to hit
JB is right, you gotta stand out. Try a krocoadile spoon, cast on the edge of the pod and just let it flutter down to the bottom, the wide body and curve of the spoon makes it look like a injured peanut. don't reel, just drop it, again and again. I have caught blues, bass, fluke and weakies with this. JB, remember that big fluke I gave you when we first met, fell to a Kroc
Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 AM

Jim, are you saying that JB was accepting fish from other people because he could not catch them himself?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Jim, are you saying that JB was accepting fish from other people because he could not catch them himself?
heresy