Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 05-30-2004, 04:10 PM

In a way, I'm not joking. I've become really frustrated with fishing lately. I need some advice from some of the locals.

My story, as brief as possible:

I moved down to PA mid last summer from NH. I had only started fishing for stripers a year prior to that. My fishing experience up in NH/Maine was that I can't really remember a night of fishing when I didn't catch a Striper. Granted, I have never caught a keeper. But I've had nights when my brother and I have caught over 20 stripers each!

I've never used bait. I'm somewhat of a purest as far as lures are concerned. 95% of the Stripers I've caught have been on a basic 6" gray/silver sluggo.

Now for the depressing part. I've tried fishing down in Delaware. I've fished different parts of the Delaware Bay and the Indian River Inlet. I've spent over 80 hours in Delaware, 8 hours in Maryland, and now 8 hours over near Ocean City, New Jersey. Out of all that time, I've had one bite. That's right just one. Last night came my first bite, but that only lasted for 10 seconds. How yanking on razor sharp treble hooks (Rapalla Lure) didn't set the hook last night, I'll never know. And why there weren't any stripers, even small ones, chowing down on the school of bait fish that was beneath my feet, I'll never know either.

Up in NH/Maine at least I'd hear stripers hitting the water. Down here I have to convince myself that what I think I just heard was actually a striper. I normally fish late at night, when the tide is in (usually several hours before High Tide and several hours afterwards).

Some of the times I went down to the IRI last fall, fishing reports said that the Stripers were going crazy. "Now's the best time to fish for stripers." Full moon, high tide, and not even a single bite!

Am I just fooling myself into thinking that I'll ever be able to have a night of fishing even remotely close to those I experienced up north?

I'm at the end of my line here. (sorry about the bad pun)

Any help would be appreciated. I just don't know what to do.

I’ve posted this in the NJ forum too.

~Zach
Old 05-30-2004, 04:10 PM

In a way, I'm not joking. I've become really frustrated with fishing lately. I need some advice from some of the locals.

My story, as brief as possible:

I moved down to PA mid last summer from NH. I had only started fishing for stripers a year prior to that. My fishing experience up in NH/Maine was that I can't really remember a night of fishing when I didn't catch a Striper. Granted, I have never caught a keeper. But I've had nights when my brother and I have caught over 20 stripers each!

I've never used bait. I'm somewhat of a purest as far as lures are concerned. 95% of the Stripers I've caught have been on a basic 6" gray/silver sluggo.

Now for the depressing part. I've tried fishing down in Delaware. I've fished different parts of the Delaware Bay and the Indian River Inlet. I've spent over 80 hours in Delaware, 8 hours in Maryland, and now 8 hours over near Ocean City, New Jersey. Out of all that time, I've had one bite. That's right just one. Last night came my first bite, but that only lasted for 10 seconds. How yanking on razor sharp treble hooks (Rapalla Lure) didn't set the hook last night, I'll never know. And why there weren't any stripers, even small ones, chowing down on the school of bait fish that was beneath my feet, I'll never know either.

Up in NH/Maine at least I'd hear stripers hitting the water. Down here I have to convince myself that what I think I just heard was actually a striper. I normally fish late at night, when the tide is in (usually several hours before High Tide and several hours afterwards).

Some of the times I went down to the IRI last fall, fishing reports said that the Stripers were going crazy. "Now's the best time to fish for stripers." Full moon, high tide, and not even a single bite!

Am I just fooling myself into thinking that I'll ever be able to have a night of fishing even remotely close to those I experienced up north?

I'm at the end of my line here. (sorry about the bad pun)

Any help would be appreciated. I just don't know what to do.

I’ve posted this in the NJ forum too.

~Zach
Old 05-30-2004, 06:03 PM

Took me many a year especially in the spring to land one. Fall, I can get the 26" - 29 3/4" striper (using bunker), but I had one devil of a time getting a Spring keeper. Well, long story short, I thought I'd never break the 30" mark, and finally did, one night caught a 32" Spring striper and I was real happy, but later, got a 38". So persaverence is key. Not only did I catch my first Spring keeper, but got my first 30" plus fish and my first AI limit.

Anyways, keep plugging, and if I can be of more help, let me know, others helped me.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:32 PM

Zach,

Hang in there buddy.

This is what you are facing, normally in the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays.

March through mid-May
The striped bass population consists of migrate and resident striped bass. On the average migrate striped bass are 24” and larger. They migrate from the Atlantic Ocean into the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries in late winter and early spring to spawn. The resident stripers normally less than 24” also spawns at this time. At this time of year there are a larger number of big striped bass in the Bay tributaries. After the spawn the migrate striped bass return to the Atlantic Ocean and start heading up the coast.

Mid-May through mid-September
Resident stripers are in the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. You can catch stripers larger than 24”, but it becomes rare. These stripers start schooling up in mid-June and that’s what you have to fish for until mid-September.

Mid-September through 42 degrees
Some migrate stripers, but not as many as during the spawning season, return into the Bays to feed up for the winter. If you catch a large striper with sea lice all over it you have caught a migrate striper. After leaving the Bays they return to the Atlantic Ocean and head down south until March. The resident striped bass are also feeding up for the winter during this time.

I say normally because, even in the summer, there is always a chance of having some outstanding fishing trips in these Bays.

I recommend that you go to a local tackle shop and ask for a guide who specializes in light tackle fishing for striped bass. Book a trip or two until you learn techniques, lures, equipment, type of structures, etc. that will help you catch more striped bass. You can cut 10 years off the learning curve if you book with a good guide.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:55 AM
SS/Veteran

Sluggos have worked well for me. I usually put it on a 1/2 oz. to 1 oz white bucktail.

I would check with the tackle store to see what is commonly used where you are fishing. I haven't seen too many people using Rapallas in Ocean City Maryland. At least from shore anyway.

I don't find it that unusual you have't caught anything yet. A new location where you need to fish differently. I have been trying to too more surf fishing on Assateague and I have just caught some small kingfish so far. My gear probably needs to be upgraded but I need to do that slowly to get it past my wife.

I fish mostly from the route 50 bridge in Ocean City Maryland. Right now the soft lures seem to be doing the best. The zoom tails are doing well as well as the storm and tsumai soft bodies. Sluggos also should do fine. There are a lot of little tricks to fishing locations and your fishing should improve once you start figuring them out. Now is a good time to be fishing the coast. Usually good fishing goes into the beginning of June at Ocean City Maryland.. If you decide to try fishing Ocean City Maryland I can give you a lot of specific advice for the route 50 bridge. I caught several fish Saturday night with 1 legal rock at 30 inches.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:01 PM

I think one of the keys is watching people that are successful. Other fishermen won't always share their secrets but if you watch them you can usually tell what they are doing.

Sometimes it's a certain spot that has fish, but sometimes it is the technique or the lure.
One time years ago when my brother (Tom R.) and I were fishing the Route 50 bridge an oldtimer told us the secret was fishing a purple worm on a bucktail. We tried it and it worked. We tried other colors but purple worked best. At the time we were catching weakfish, but when the rockfish returned in numbers the purple worms also worked on the rockfish.

Richard
Old 06-02-2004, 03:24 PM

Zach,

I fish Del Bay and what the reports somtetimes leave out is that many are taken on live baits such as eels. Especially in the inlet at night. During the day in the summer their are so many people down there that to get one is difficult. Try using bucktails with white or red worms or sluggo's during day. Or bait with fresh bunker.

Rick