Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 03-03-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Sunkin Navy boat???

Humm I just tried to post this 10mins later I came back it wan't here??

Anyways. What beach is this ship off of? I remember as a little kid 5-6yrs old. The whole ship was visable. My friend ownd a hose right near the beach and we used to clam way out in the water. Hey for a 6yrs old neck high was deep...The blues where swimming all around. Some time his dad would take us in his Boston Whaler fishing out and around the sunkin ship. I know they still live there just can't remember the area. any help. What ship was it. Was it on the Bayside or ocean. it was about 1976 I think.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Siberian Husky Rescue

Default Re: Sunkin Navy boat???

I remember it well. The following is from the Mass.gov website.

James E. Longstreet: History

The coast of Eastham, Massachusetts is home to the remains of one Liberty Ship, the James E. Longstreet, which until recently was a visible fixture on the horizon for many residents of Cape Cod.

The James E. Longstreet was constructed in 1942 by the Todd Houston Shipbuilding Corporation of Irish Bend, Houston, Texas, for a cost of approximately $1,833,400. As a standard Liberty Ship, it measured close to 417 feet in length, 57 feet in breadth, and drew nearly 37 feet of water. The vessel was named for Major General James Longstreet, a hero of the Confederate Army and one of General Robert E. Lee’s top officers during the Civil War.

Although by measurement and design the James E. Longstreet was a typical liberty ship, its career was far from ordinary, seemingly marred by mishaps right from the start. While awaiting a pilot to take the vessel into New York Harbor following its arrival from Southampton, England, the Longstreet was caught in a violent gale that continued for more than 24 hours. Together with two other vessels, the Exilona and the Fort Douglas, the Longstreet was driven ashore at Sandy Hook, New Jersey, on October 26, 1943. Given the order to abandon ship, the freighter’s crew of about 70 was removed by the Coast Guard.

Although the rescue was conducted more for the benefit of observing reporters--most of the crew was capable of wading safely to shore--the Longstreet nevertheless sustained damage when its hull split near the number three hold. Temporarily repaired on site, it was re-floated on November 25, 1943, after a channel was dredged from behind. From there, the scarred vessel was towed to New York Harbor.

Declared a total loss, the James E. Longstreet was ready for the scrap yard when the U.S. Navy requested it for use as a target ship for secret experiments involving early air-to-surface guided missile systems. Stripped of its equipment and painted chrome yellow, the Longstreet was delivered to the Navy in June of 1944.

Following repairs of missile damage sustained over the summer months, the Longstreet was under tow back to the target area when it broke loose and grounded for a second time, near the Ambrose Channel, not far from New York. Once again, the vessel was re-floated, repaired, and towed to the target area where it was moored until a severe winter storm parted its mooring cable allowing it to drift some 80 miles out to sea. Recovered 10 days later, the Longstreet was finally towed to the waters off Eastham, Massachusetts where it was sunk in approximately 20 feet of water to serve as a target for new air-to-surface guided missile experiments involving a heat-seeking system known as the Dove. By the middle of 1946, the service of the Longstreet was no longer required for the Dove program and the vessel was used periodically by the Navy and Air Force for live ammunition target practice until 1971.

Today, the Liberty Ship James E. Longstreet remains approximately three and a half miles off Eastham, Massachusetts in 20 to 25 feet of water with only a small portion of its structure above the surface. Full of holes and nearly cut in two, the large hulk is a favorite diving and fishing spot as the area is home to numerous flounder, tautog, fluke, and lobsters.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:04 AM

The Longstreet is long gone now. I guess it's engine is still there on the bottom and there is some fishing around it. There is none of it above the surface now, even at extreme low tides.

Though it could be seen in the past from a number of beaches, I believe the closest was First Encounter Beach in Eastham.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:41 PM

There is also a sunken boat off of Welfleet harbor. I don’t know if it was a Navy vessel but I do know that it was used for target practice by the Air Force.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 AM

Same boat.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys..... Yep soon as the Longstreet name was mention it came back to me. Kinda funny as a little kid I thought that thing would be there forever. Cool to read the article about it. Thanks again