Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 03-28-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Surfcasting questions.

I'm 20 years old and have done a lot of surfcasting, but never had much luck. I was thinking wrong time/place and cheap gear. I've always fished with cheap kits you get at wal-mart because I've never had much money. I'm finally going to invest in a good rod and reel this year. I want a good, all purpose rod and reel. I would like to do a lot of surfcasting but since I will not be able to afford more than one rod, it will also have to do for pier and bridge fishing. I fished a bridge in Boston by the Charles River locks last year a great deal and my cheap rod and reel really struggled hauling up moderate size schoolies from the water below. I've always wanted to learn how to use casting equipment. I was reading up on the Quantum Cabo baitcast and I think it would be ok. Would long distance casting be possible with this reel? Are there other reels that are better? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Re: Surfcasting questions.

Find what works for you.I dont use high end stuff,and I still catch fish from the beach.When I got back into fishing,I used a 7 ft Ugly Stik,with a Penn 712(?not sure,the sticker is gone),tossing bait and plugging.Looking back,it wasn;t the best set up,but I still caught. In my opinion,you should concentrate on learning to read the beach(there are several great articles on this site),learn how the tides affect where you are fishing,and expect some failure when you first start.Dont be discouraged!One day you will pull an 18 inch striper from the surf(like my first),and you will be hooked.Then,you try some of the stuff you have read,and they seem to come easier.They really dont,it's just that you are using what you have learned to be more succsesful.It's really a learning process,and as long as you pay attention to what you are doing,and how that works with the stuff you cant control(tides,winds,etc) you will do fine.Dont be afraid to ask questions here.There are many people who have been enjoying this pastime for a long time,and are only too willing to give their advice.

Good luck,and remember,it's supposed to be fun!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:05 PM

Great advice above.I would definitely concentrate on "how" to fish,ie reading structure,beaches,tides,current,weather etc than worrying about getting real nice gear.The setup in the world won't catch you any fish if you don't know how to fish,trust me.You mentioned a Cabo baitcaster.Have you ever used a baitcast reel?If you haven't you may want to stick with spinning gear.Nothing more aggravating than trying to pick out a huge bird's nest on the beach in the dark,trust me.Try as many techniques,lures,baits as you can and find what works.There will be fishless nights,for sure.But time put in equals success.You can't catch them from the couch.And for cripe's sakes have fun. The moment you take it too seriously,it takes the fun out of it...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:16 PM
spence

Stick with spinning...

What's your budget?

-spence
Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 AM

I'm willing to spend $300 max. I want something that'll last and I can use as a surfcast and as a bridge and pier rod. I don't mind buying two rods but I can only afford one reel.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:09 AM

For what it's worth Iwould start out with a Tica or Tsunami rod, you wont spend alot and can upgrade down the road, and a Penn 704z it will take some abuse and they are work horses. For $300 you could have two set ups, one for bridge fishing and something lighter for the open beach.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:03 AM

For your bridge/pier application, I'd recommend a glass rod over graphite. For plugging in your price range, you can't beat the 9' tica in 1-3 or 3-6 oz (get the heavier one). Add a Shimano Spheros 8000, and you'll still be able to afford to fill it with 50# powerpro. The line will cost as much as mono in the end because you don't have to change it as often.

Spheros = $120
9' Tica = $70
8' Glass rod = depends, but you can find one cheap. For hauling fish up a pier, look at the heavy ugly sticks or something like that.
Line = $30