Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Surfcasting: Skill or Luck???

Commezerate upon the influence of these two considerations when assessing the qualities of productive surfcasting for the wiley stripah.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Surfcasting: Skill or Luck???

While the influence of each of those factors cannot be underestimated in the assessment of productive surfcasting, a third, perhaps even more influential factor must be considered if we are talking about consistent productivity.

Perseverance.

CL
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM
SS/Veteran

If you have the skill you catch what others call lucky. That why Al W. gave capt bigass by that name.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 PM
take a kid fishing

Luckily, some of us are skillful. Catch a nice bass & you might just be lucky. Do it many times each year for a couple of decades & it's probably more than just luck. But that's just my opinion......and I'm biased.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 PM

I would think it's a combination of both but more toward skill.

ex. #1)
You can do everything right and nothing wrong but it doesn't matter if their are no fish there. (you can argue that a skilled angler would know their is no fish there.)

ex. #2)
You can do everything wrong in the middle of a blitz and just happen to take a large striper on 65lb braid with drag set tight and a reel that would give large winches a run for their money.

In my opinion it is about 80% skill and the 20% is just luck. Striper fishing is such an inexact science that has not yet been perfected. But if you have the skill the fish will keep coming consistently (or at least they should).
Old 08-26-2007, 11:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Skill ever so garnished with select condiments called luck.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:26 PM
SS/Veteran

How many of us have actually been lucky? Meaning you took a nice fish when you probably shouldn't have or weren't expecting to. This has never really happened to me I don't think.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:45 PM

skill is what what gets the fish in the cooler. finding fish is 50/50 luck/skill, but after you hook into a fish if you have no skill, your odds go down the larger the fish is.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 AM

When someone I don't know says "Any Luck", I'm quick to say "It's not about luck!" Luck might be what gets another hook to grab after you feel one pulling out, but then again that might have more to do with keeping all the points razor sharp. Luck can have the credit for Bluefish. Bass are less random more patterned and knowledge puts them on the hook.

Peace

Frank II

Frank II
Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
How many of us have actually been lucky? Meaning you took a nice fish when you probably shouldn't have or weren't expecting to. This has never really happened to me I don't think.
I have never taken a nice fish that I wasn't expecting to.

When I was very young and without much knowledge, an older expeienced fisherman told me that in fishing for large bass, he usually went out with the expectation of getting skunked. It took me a couple of years to realize just how destructive thinking like that is. There is no doubt that when I discarded that thinking and started believing and expecting that I would be successful every time I went out, my success rate dramatically improved.

And something funny.....as the years went by and I fished longer and harder, I got luckier and luckier.

CL
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
SS/Insider

"Luck comes to the well prepared."

We all know that anyone can walk on to the beach and catch but to catch on a consistant basis you must put your time in. The dedicated surfcaster will: know the tides, know where the rips develop, know the rockpiles, know where to PARK, know the weather, know the wind direction and where it does and does not produce, know when sunrise and sunset is, know how to read the water, know how to cover a hole, know how to work a jetty, do recon when not fishing, talk to everyone he can, read the reports, pick brains, know his lures, be willing to accept that other fishermen know more than you do, know his equipment, know when to go, know when to stay home, know who has the best coffee-best breakfast-cheapest gas, know who's open and who's not, know his partner, know the new developments in lures and equipment, know how to keep the wife/girlfriend happy after being out all night "fishing", etc. etc. Plz feel free to add.

Luck!!! I don't think so. Luck is when my partner outfishes my---again and again!!! He's really lucky!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM

I think just about aeverything said so far is on target -- in my opinion. I see it as a case of consistancy where people with skills will keep doing it over and over. The lucky are just that and you never hear about them again.

A sad consequence of getting a really big fish, which is how we measure our angling fraternity, is that people get one great fish and they become dilusional over it. Naturally, because they can't do it again, they are frustrated, then embittered and the initial success is actually a negative expereince for them. I know quite a few anglers who beached a lucky monster and a few years of them never doing it again and they were crushed, altered by the experience really.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I have kind of avoided this, as there have been times I have been lucky, and times not. However, being able to read the beach, find a cut or a trough that looks good increases the luck factor. There have been times others have gotten a decent fish 25 feet away from me, and vice versa. Thats where the luck comes in. But knowing the structure you are fishing, the tides, wind and current I think plays a bigger part for a seroius fisherman. Imagine if those "lucky fisherman" that hook a dream fish the first time out, knew all those things that many of us do. I dont think they would hang it up as easily, not catching another large fish, if they knew what the many of the people here do.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM

I think that surfcasting has a lot of puff and strut types who are pure BS; but then we have them hunting too and they might be on the golf course as well. Thing about being a BSer is that it is a fine art and you have to know how just as sure as you have to be able to spot it in others. Smooth hands, getting a boat, hunters who shoot so many deer then duke it out in the break down lane for a roadkill. These are patterns in behaviour that mark and signal yur uncles.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 AM

What I've learned here is this: The difference between landing a large and losing one might come down to a leader that has an abrasion, a knot failure, drag set improperly, hooks that aren't sharp, knowing where you are and what your next move is and so on. I think it's critical this time of year to step up your game and make the effort to be "ready". Luck is always a variable, but averting premeditated failure is critical.