Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Team SS 06,07,08

Default vacation and questions

Will be down in seaside park 8/5 to 8/12 on vacation, maybe I'll get to meet some of you and maybe not but anyway, I asked you guys about using lights on the beach and that helped , but I'm wondering if I could use those green light sticks with out bothering the fish. what do you guys think and thanks. CHEERS
Old 08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: vacation and questions

If you use lightsticks, consider going with the red. From what I've read, fish don't see the red end of the light spectrum.

Tightlines.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

SURFSLUG
If your going to fish at night in the Seaside area other then the north end of IBSP there is enough natural lighting to see almost anything. I use a key chain size LED light I carry in my bag for those predawn trips and the only time I need it is when hooking a swivel onto a snap. I don't do much night fishing, I'm more of a morning guy but it's still dark when I start.
You will need a pole light on your tip if your going to fish bait and spike the rod. The local B&T stores sell them and they are the green glow sticks but very small that last for 1 night. I just use some clear tape to put them on.

I'm out on the beach every Sat and Sun morning in the area so if you would like to get together on your vacation send me a PM.

Enjoy

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
If you use lightsticks, consider going with the red. From what I've read, fish don't see the red end of the light spectrum.

Tightlines.
This from the man that likes "fresh shucked= sucks" clams....barf But he is probably right about seeing the light spectrum.
Not sure what you plan on using the light sticks for, but if for unhooking fish and such, either one should work. They really dont throw that much light, so I dont think it's an issue. The problem comes up with bright white lights. On the rare occasion I get to fish at night, I have this really small LED light I use, for unhooking fish etc. Throws just enough light for that, but dont use it for anything else, it's useless.Think I got it at Wal Mart. Can clip it to a hat brim also, but the switch is under the clip, proves to be a pain sometimes. Look me up when you come down, as long as the temps are comfortable, maybe we can hook up some morning after I get off work.
Enjoy the vacation!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Jess brought up a good point. Lots of "un natural" light in the area, boardwalk etc. Those tip lights are good also. I have a couple, but they actually have these little clips to attach to the end of the rod. Snap them, attach them to the end of the rod, and you can see when something hits. They are sitting in the tackle bag wasting away... Dont know what the moon phase is, but if it's anything but a new moon, that should provide plenty of light also.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:45 PM

Thumbs up Re: vacation and questions

I was down from the 15th to the 22nd of July. I fished in front of "L" street and there was enough light from the boardwalk until at least 11:00 PM or so. Even the streetlights etc., provide enought to see your pole.(My poles are yellow which helps.) I have never used a light except for tying or unhooking going back too many years.(I worked the boards in 1970 and 1971.) I believe the full moom is the 8th so if there are no clouds, you should be fine. Good Luck!

Last edited by surfkast : 08-01-2006 at 08:49 PM. Reason: more information
Old 08-01-2006, 10:24 PM

I use a lantern, and as some people think light scares the fish I have had some great nights fishing with that thing. For rod tips the Red Eyes work great and you can see them from far away. I've lost a few while casting so now I take them off every time I cast.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

nothing like looking 1/4 mile down the beach and seeing those rod tip lights bouncing wildly to attract spot jumpers

there's enough background light

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 AM

I don't bait fish that much, but when I do, I just position my chair so that the rods are silouetted against the sky. Even when it's really dark, the rods are black so they do stand out.

If you're at IBSP, just sit south of your rods - you'll see them just fine.

I don't think any place on the east coast gets completely dark anymore. More often than not, even with a new moon, I can still read the brand name on my reel with no light.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Hey Surfslug, where in the park are you staying? I'm there for the same week, staying with my wife and kids in a house on 5th Ave between Bayview and Central.

I don't know what my exact itinerary will be as it's a family vacation. (My whole family will be down in three different houses) I do know there will be plenty of fishing, crabbing and clamming.

I usually scout the surf and fish it at night or early in the morning until the lifeguards show up. I spend a lot of time at the 5th Ave pier as well. I will most probably go to IBSP on Monday for some clamming and whatever else.

Do you still have my cell phone number? I think I still have yours from the tourny. I wouldn't mind getting together for some fishing if our schedules allow it.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:42 AM
SS/Insider

I use a coleman battery lantern. Never had a problem "spooking" fish. It stays with me far from the surf and is only on when I'm tying, baiting or unhooking a fish. I usually keep it in my "white" bucket which really disfusses the light.

Never had a problem with it. It also gives good light for the walk on and walk off.

For the rods I've used 2 different types of lights. The glowsticks work really well and are bright. Just snap, shake and snap onto your rod tip.. I've also used the LEDs. They are ok and last something like 20 hours but are small. My eyes aren't great so I tend to use the glowsticks.

Now you guys really have me looking forward to the fall!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Chris, you are soooooooo teasing me!

Lights "white" bucket.......... I'm not going there.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
SS/Insider

I posted that just for you Benny! I do ok from the surf with all my "googan" stuff! Why would I want to "look" like I know what I'm doing! With all the "googan" stuff nobody ever bothers me to get advice and that's the way I like it!

Have a great time on your vacation!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris c
I posted that just for you Benny! I do ok from the surf with all my "googan" stuff! Why would I want to "look" like I know what I'm doing! With all the "googan" stuff nobody ever bothers me to get advice and that's the way I like it!

Have a great time on your vacation!

googan proof

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Team SS 06,07,08

Ragman,BennyB,and Jess check your pm's plz.Hey benny forgot to tell you I'll have beach passes if you want to try out there. Thanks all for your replys and making this place and surf fishing great CHEERS