Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Best Junk Rod/Reel

Hey everyone,

Couldn't find a similar thread and thought this might be an interesting topic. I have 3 setups that I use regularly, but I like to have a kmart-ish combo in the jeep for guests so they can learn to fish without ruining my gear. I've had an Okuma combo that I bought for $45 and it's lasted me a year. Probably brought in about 25 fish, largest was maybe a 8# blue. I think it's called the Okuma "Metallica" or something like that. Unfortunately after giving it to my buddy last week it may be on its way out. So I'm in the market for junk. I know it's hit or miss, but any good stories? I know Diawa makes one for about $40 that could suffice. Does anyone else do this?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
SS/Insider

Default Re: Best Junk Rod/Reel

I'd say you've gotten some good mileage out of your "junk combo." I recall buying some outfits in the Outer Banks for like $20- and boy were they junk. The gears were stripped after hauling in a few 9oz croakers and 4oz of lead!

I keep a junk combo packed in the car as well- not exactly $20 junk, but a Tica SA3500 and a Tsunami rod. I keep that combo packed for 2 reasons- 1) the rod breaks down, and 2) I wouldn't get too upset if it were stolen.

My current dilemma is planning a plug bag to keep packed- again keeping in mind how upset I'd be if something got stolen.

My job has me travelling throughout NJ, Long Island, CT and MASS- so I'm always looking for fishing opportunities when I have a chance to take the scenic route.

Last edited by CharlieB : 09-20-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM
SS/Insider, Team SS

You could always buy good used and end up saving $$ in the long run. Try some yard sales or fishing fleamarkets. Some great gear to be had for the same $$ as the MART-ish.

and Family 04,05,06,07,08
Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Best inexpensive reels I have are Tica Camry. A 3500 that has seen over 4 seasons of hard use and still going and then got a 3000 way cheap on a close-out special.

My "loaner" rods for tog'n when another togs along are either customs or higher end name brand rods. I must be nuts or something
Old 09-20-2007, 05:33 PM

Either that, or you have more careful friends than I do (which is most likely the case).
Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 AM
SS/Veteran

I would check ebay for a used penn 704z....classic workhorse reel!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:19 AM

I bought an UGLY Stick combo at Dick's on an impulse one night after dinner with several beers...it has a PRIOUS (?) reel on it and I put some Fireline on it...all for less than $75. That old combo has been my number two rod for a couple of years, right behind the St. Croix Priemier and Penn 6500 SS I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago.

But then, I have a St Croix rod and Calcutta reel still in the box, so what do I know???

Bruce
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon Man View Post
I would check ebay for a used penn 704z....classic workhorse reel!
We have a winner! Exactly what Spoon said

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.