Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Surfsters vs Dannies

Last year I started using Dannies with some decent success.
Now I have some "surfsters" also.
Trouble is I have no idea, beside the physical differences how one is different from the other.

Do they swim different ?
Is one for rough water ?
Why choose one over the other ?

Can anyone clue me in ?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 PM
spence

Default Re: Surfsters vs Dannies

Danny's either wiggle or snake on the surface or just under depending on how the eye is bent. Surfsters have more of a tail in the air wag on the surface or just under.

I'm not sure if one id better than the other, but a surfster tweaked to splash around might make more of a racket.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 PM
ferret

Do they swim different ?
Danny's pivot midship (larger baitfish gliding) surfsters pivot at the nose (smaller baitfish splashing)

Is one for rough water ?
In very rough water neither, in slightly rough water the surfster will hold up better

Why choose one over the other ?
Personally I only fish med & large Danny's, prefer Danny's at night in calm waters when big bait is around. I fish surfsters day and night in many different surf conditions in sm & med sizes for smaller bait. Surfsters are fished at various speeds and depths, Danny's are fished only on the surface at super slow speed, therefore surfsters are more versatile plugs.

BTW, the Danny style plug is a pretty specific shape and action. I think the term surfster was first used by CCBC, it's more a general style of a plug that can vary from one maker to another.

Noticed you live in NJ, the quintessential NJ surf plug is the red western sealed variation of a surfster originated by "Lefty" Carr which now copied by dozens of commercial and private builders. If I had to choose one wooden plug for NJ this would be it.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the replies Spence and Ferret.
You guys seem to know your plugs so I have a few more questions for you, if you don't mind:

I don't have any plugs by Lefty, but I did pick up a few by Gary2 Surfsters and BassWood. The BassWood has no label to ID wether it's a surfster or not.

Are these in the same molds as Lefty's ?

1) Is the BassWood also considered a Surfster ?
2) Might the surfsters be a good chice now considering the mullet run ?
3) I also have a Big Don's Swimmer Diver, would this be considered a Darter ?

Sorry for the rudimentry plug questions as this my second year in the surf.
I think I have some good stuff and I'm trying to sort out the when, where and why's.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:25 PM
ferret

Basswoods are Lefty copies and they could be considered surfsters. Yes these would be great for the mullet run. Not sure which Big Don your talkin bout but he absolutely does make a surfster. All surfsters should have metal lips, darters have a lip cut into the wood no metal. Darters dart erratically thus the name, surfsters should have a more consistent wiggle.