Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - California

Fishing - California California - Pacific Coast fishing

Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 AM

Default 10 years ago

In '97 I lived out in Jersey and hit on this site about the time it started. I can't believe it made it's way out to Cali. I'm originally from Cali, but my first striper
blitzes were when I was living in Jersey. My favorite spots include Manasquan and Great Kills in Staten Island. I doubt I'll ever experience a blitz in Cali like the one I had in Great Kills. At one point, during an outgoing tide I was literally in the eye of a blitz. Gulls and Terns diving around me, stripers breaking water at my feet. I'll never forget it!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Re: 10 years ago

I was in an awesome blitz at GK last spring. It is definetly on the agenda this spring.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Question Re: 10 years ago

Hello Soakie,
Glad you found your way back to SS.

Change of subject, sorry. I read a lot of info about striped bass and striper fishing all over the country, mostly news feeds but also search around plus I've been to San Francisco several times and had the opportunity to fish the Bay twice. To me the whole area looks like it should be striped bass heaven yet the more I read it appears that bass fishing has really declined over the years and the fishery is not really doing well.

I know that historically, late 1800's and early 20th century the fishery was fantastic, beyond belief, then it dramatically declined and by 1935 striped bass were officially made a game fish, no more commercial fishing of any kind.

In the last 70+ years it rebounded, although it took a big hit between 1945 and 1955, today the impression I have is that it is no where near the levels of abundance we have here in the Northeast today.

Just the other day I ran across all kinds of dire warnings issued about the levels of PCB's in stripers from a few rivers in the Delta.

Is the situation, the decline of the fishery, mainly attributed to pollution, agricultural chemical run offs, reclamation projects, power plants, etc or is there something else going on that I haven't learned about yet?

BTW there is a fantastic study, written by John Skinner in 1962 on the web site. Not the whole study, just the section on striped bass:
An Historical Review of the Fish and Wildlife Resources of the San Francisco Bay Area

Old 04-02-2007, 07:59 AM

Thumbs up Re: 10 years ago

Hi Bob,

Apologies for the late response. Your impression of the fishing being nowhere near that of the northeast is accurate. Over there any newbie can soak a sandworm and have a decent chance of catching a striper off a jetty. Out west, our structure fishing is very limited and access to the surf can turnout to be a long hiking trip down a steep mountain path. There are many spots that are accessible to the surf angler, but I tend to feel those spots \are somewhat overfished.

While the popluation of stripers isn't teaming, I do feel that there are enough fish to keep it interesting. Last season I hit several night smelt runs where the stripers were chasing these fish run up onto the surf. On another night, I hit a run that lasted 3 hours. Guys were pulling in fish from 10 to 30 lbs.

The thing is, you really need to stay on top of the reports and even more important, you need to put in some quality time on the water. IMO, and many anglers will agree, the striper poplulation out here is actually doing ok and has made notable rebounds since the serious decline of fish in the 80's.

I'm not versed on the statutes passed to improve the fishery,but I do know that things have been done to address the PCB issue. In addition, most of the real fisherman out here will practice catch and release and will readily notify fish and game of any potential poaching.

We're just as passionate out here as the northeast. Guys will camp out on the beaches since you can't drive on them. Hiking a mile over rough terrain
is a common practice. The surf out here is treacherous due to severe undertoes but nevertheless, we keep on plugging away.

If you ever visit during peak season(July - August), I'd be happy to guide you
on a night trip. Just send me an email to the address I have for this forum.