Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:38 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Small lures...and atypical lures...

Frank, you'd mentioned Rebels (on the "needlefish" thread) and JoeG had mentioned the Daiiwa SP minnow. I've seen guys nearby me do well on the SPs...even in daylight (cloudy). I've used those 5" Rebels since 1967...they catch everything in fresh and salt. My second confidence lure is a Bomber, but it's the small 4.5" model. Another one I recently purchased is a 4" Daiiwa minnow plug with decent hooks... I tested the action on a few daylight casts, but still have to fish it at night. A friend did well on MV last year with that little plug. The nice thing about that small Bomber and the small Daiiwa is that they cast a little better than the Rebel.
What is the smallest lure (and the smallest fly) you've used to catch stripers?
My other question is what atypical (maybe a salmon, trout, or fw bass lure) lures have you (and others here) tried? "Flatfish" and "Kwikfish" are banana shaped lures often used for big chinook salmon on the west coast. They hang them in the current and let them wobble on a tight line...kinda like your Rebel under tension...always wondered if they'd work in the salt too. "Hot Shots" and "Hot n Tots" also work on the same principle, but dive deeper. On the upper Hudson River some use spinnerbaits and Rattletraps too.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Small lures...and atypical lures...

It is not practical to throw a Rebel under 5 1/2 inches because the hooks can't take it. But bass do hit a 4 1/2 inch more readily but you won't get a good one in; the hooks are too small.

Fly fishing a once inch long grass shrimp kills bass. But the fly is all hook. Single hooks are always stronger than trebles. Grass shrimp is one of our most popular choices.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 PM

I'm always messing around trying bigger and heavier hooks on small plugs. You can experiment to a point. Once you kill the action you have a needle fish.
Best plug to accommodate me, that I can find anyway, is the 5" Redfin. That big lip helps. If you load them it's a bit more work to get it right.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Looking back on a lifetime of plug fishing, the eel -- live or rigged -- is king. Today, away from selling fish and returning most, I would never use live eels because they swallow live eels. Once I started rigging eels my plugs just sat there.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 PM

I have never fished eels, live or rigged, but it seems there must be a circle hook opportunity here. Not sure how but somehow it seems possible.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:37 AM
SS/Veteran

Problem with a live eel is that they swallow it too fast, apparently out of fear the eel might get away. Not sure how a circle hook might work on a riggie. Rigged eels are awful good and I would hate to screw around with something that effective.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:13 PM
SS/Veteran

My small BTJs and 6" sandeel type lures didn't work the other day...but a 4" sandeel on a small lead head did...as did a #8 black/olive wooly bugger!...a handful of teen (inches) schoolies...
Old 04-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Some people moidify SP minnows with better hooks, and some remove the rear hook and go with belly hook only. You can get away with a heavier treble without losing action when you do this.
I have switched over to SP minnows instead of rebels or bombers because they have the same action but cast a lot better.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:40 PM

Most casters are working with the original size which I do often, but for a nice change when the bass are on peanuts , sand eels and small bait in general, try the smaller version. Still casts extremely well, same colors etc.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:28 PM
SS/Veteran

I agree, Joe, this business of "big bait, big fish" is a bunch of BS.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:04 AM

Daiwa sp minnow is what I use most of the time. Time to get some new treble hooks and split rings on some of my old stuff.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2018, 12:48 PM
SS/Veteran

That plug pile is sure a trip down Memory Lane. Where is your Pikie?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 AM

Smile Re: Small lures...and atypical lures...

I have three more storage bins full of old plugs, but will admit that I dont think I have a pikie in there. At one time I must have thought I needed every kind of lure made, now I've narrowed it down to about three or four.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Pikies don't have the approval they should because they are too big, too heavy, and casters fear they are too big for stripers to eat. Unaccountably, I have seen 16 inch schoolies hit a pikie. The striper surf has its share of mysteries.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:57 PM

A friend of mine bought a "show piece" plug at a show, Imagine that ! It was about 16" long and looked enormous in hand. Big trebles, giant pikie. Beautiful paint job. I forget what it weighed but I would guess over a pound anyway.
The discussion about is there equipment to fish it with, could a bass eat it ? etc ensued.
I'm sure the answers are yes and yes. That would take one seriously powerful rod but a bass eating it ? No issues. A big one can swallow a 3' eel, a 14" bunker and small blues of 2-3 pounds. It would be a hoot to see someone working that thing in the local inlet.