Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New York

Fishing - New York The Empire State Fishing Reports and Information

Old 06-30-2005, 11:17 AM

I was out at Breezy on Saturday with my girlfriend. I have never seen so many parks guys out (I counted 6) but one guy was auditioning for special ops, I swear. He was hiding behind the dunes watching everyone through his binocs. It was mad hot, and my girlfriend was getting hot so she waded in, as I do all the time but without a fishing pole. An hour later spy-guy comes up on us and tells us we can't swim, just walk in with a pole. That's it. When I explained that I did have a pole with me, he said, "Not your girlfriend. I was watching." It was a little creepy. I must've given him a look, because he added, "I am just explaining this to you two because I don't want to have to get ugly." Maybe it was the reminder that in NYC there is no personal space, or maybe it was the whole dude spying on two women thang, but it left me feeling like I should skatter sawdust around. What made me mad though was there were 3-4 boats drifting close to the beach, and the people in them were swinming, wading in to shore, walking back to their boats... no problem. My girl just goes in waist deep to cool off, and she becomes a target of a federal investigation?! Seems crazy.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 PM
SS/Veteran

gotta remember u have to go by your permits rules, got to have a rod in hand. or u aint fishing. besides the feds are all idiots.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:07 PM

how has the fishing been on the bayside?? I almsot always go there, but haven't this year yet as I hurt my leg....I've been going to Floyd Bennett Field and not doing so hot.

mudman
Old 06-30-2005, 04:44 PM

To be honest, I crossing the bridge to the Rockaways has not paid off for me this year. I've done better under the bridges (and saving the toll). We just went to Breezy because my gf likes the beach better there. If you have a bad leg, Floyd Bennet is a lot easier. I've been out on a boat in the bay, and it's a different story. There were some big bass by jfk, but you can't cast from the runways.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:30 PM

hi without giving up your spots how does one enter floyd bennet field to fish, i used to play softball in a league on sundays but that was many moons ago thanks also rev lori you spoke of breezy point how can you access the beaches there without a permit thanks jc
Old 07-07-2005, 11:40 PM

Get a fishing parking permit from any of the national seashore offices (there's one at FT Tilden also at Floyd Bennet. Bring a surf rod, your car registration and $50. They give you a sticker which lets you park at a whole bunch of sites in the area, There are 6 or more spots at Floyd Bennet alone, and you can park at Breezy Point and walk to the surf (a long hike, but worth it!). You can also park and fish at Sandy Hook. Hope that helps
Old 07-08-2005, 01:19 AM

i have the permit for sandy hook will that get me in at floyd bennett and breezy pt? and yes it does help information becomes knowledge
Old 07-08-2005, 10:28 AM

The permit I use is a green(?) circle with a white fish on it, about 5 inch diameter. Is that what yours looks like?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:22 PM

yes it does so i am in? thanks for your help!! care to share your spots at floyd bennett?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:56 PM
SS/Veteran

the permit is good for all of gateway,staten island, the hook ,j-bay and breezy. worth the 50 bucks.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:58 PM

on staten island you only need the permit when fishing at fort wadsworth, gateway recreation area and lemon creek. otherwise the rest of staten island is free and fair game. and you don't nee the permit in any of those places to fish, the permit is for parking after hours while fishing.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:00 AM

Hockey - go to a parks office and get the maps they give out. It will show you where all the parking places. There's a helpful map for Floyd Bennet. There's a nice spot just past the model flying field, and under the bridge is always hot. Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2005, 12:20 AM

thanks rev hope to see you out there some time