Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Pouches/cases for needlefish plugs and poppers

Frank, do you know who on the web may be selling pouches or cases for lures such as 7-9 " needlefish, poppers and lures like this?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Pouches/cases for needlefish plugs and poppers

The Surfcaster, who happens to be one of our sponsors here, has one. Look at page 3 in their catalog or check their web-site.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 AM

for slightly smaller lures, the 2 piece plastic toothbrush cases work pretty well. i modified mine with a 1 inch notch using a hacksaw blade which allows the middle hook to hang out and the case to be closed around the lure. available at those dollar stores - 3 for a buck (includes cheapo toothbrushes). swamp yankee budget.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:39 PM

I've always advocated backpacks for surfcasters but it really hasn't taken hold. The plug bag inserts the Surfcaster offers would fit in a backpack. Remember, you have to go out with one hand free in order to get back -- if you have been reading my books -- with your trophy striper.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault
The Surfcaster, who happens to be one of our sponsors here, has one. Look at page 3 in their catalog or check their web-site.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:12 PM

Thanks Frank. The only problem is that the Surfcaster website has been experiencing tech difficulties for at least a couple of weeks. I shall be trying again of course.

On a related note, I am amazed, really, that unlike in the world of freshwater fishing, there exist virtually no really solid catalogs for saltwater (inc. surf) fishing. It would be useful to have something akin to Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops ... In fact, I think Cabela's has something of the kind, but still it's slim pickins.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:50 PM

That's because, if I had to guess, there are 1,000 largemouth fishermen for every surf striper fishermen.

The Surfcaster catalog is pretty lean. To be honest, I really don't understand their approach. Since you have a computer, you have access to countless online saltwater fishing stores. To name a few: surfcasting-rhodeisland.com, the surfcaster, saltwater edge, cape cod tackle, terminal tackle co, cabelas, digital dagger, salty bugger - and the list goes on and on.

I'm sure typing in "surf bag" into google would be fruitful. If you want tubes for lures you might try "lure tubes". Get a little aggressive. Talk to tackle shops, call Frank on a Sunday morning (only kididing, unless you have some scallops) - just apply yourself a little.

l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace
Old 09-10-2006, 10:33 AM
SS/Veteran

50, you're right: there are millions more freshwater fishermen than saltwater.

My wife is from Western PA (coal country), and I had this discussion with her brother a while ago. They look at saltwater fishing, and at doing something as weird as slinging eels on the beach at night, as something strange and a bit frightening. They're used to catching 1 lb. fish in an environment that's not much different than sitting in a La-Z-Boy, and the fish may have been stocked, and are therefore not truly wild. So the notion of sliding a 20-lb. striper onto the beach at 3 a.m. is one that they're not comfortable with.

The comparative paucity of saltwater fishermen, and especially of avid surfcasters, can be a problem when it comes to equipment. Because my bait rigs are configured in a way that's different than just about anyone else -- I use Australian side-cast reels that are seated on the rod differently than convench or spinning reels -- I can't, for example, find a sand spike that works just right. And I like wearing a fly vest when I fish the beach (because it gives me lots of nifty pockets for carrying stuff, and keeps me more mobile), but the vests they make for fly fishing are not the best match, as they're -- duh -- not designed for surf fishing.

But (and this is just my opinion) the hassles of finding equipment are a small tradeoff when you consider what would happen if the entire world took up surfcasting. Space on the beach is finite, and the crowds are bad enough as it is. Can you imagine what it would be like if every cracker in Mega OutdoorMart took it up?

So my plug bag isn't perfect (I can't fit big wood plugs in it), my vest isn't perfect (I it's too flimsy for carrying heavy stuff), and there's a lot of stuff that would work better if it were designed specifically for surfcasting. But I'm OK with that: I'd rather have imperfect gear and be alone.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I got an Aquaskins large bag at the Beating on the Beach as a prize this past spring. Lots of room for all the plugs, metals and other assorted things you might use. I even throw in my lock and weigh, and hook disgorger if I go out in my sons boat... I wouldn't spend the money to buy it (but I did buy my son one for a Christmas present). Many guys go to an army/navy store, and buy the bags they have availible, and create their own. Use PVC pipe for tubes, as many or few as you want, and whatever size you want. Easy to customize for what you need. Might not be top of the line, but if it works, who cares?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:44 PM

I just bought the large bag by Canyon, and I am pretty happy with it (though expensive). I made some slight modifications, but it can hold about a dozen plugs, up to 9 inches. I removed a row of tubes so I could add a large tackle box for swivels snaps, rod tip lights, etc. I had quite a bit of trouble finding one that fit my needs. I also looked at the Aquaskinz large bag which was also nice, just not as many little nooks.
In general, it holds all I really need for bait and plug fishing (flashlight, knife, pliers, etc).
Old 09-20-2006, 11:10 PM

I use a patagonia hawaiian sling, a single strap pack, which leaves your casting side unobstructed, allowing you to swing it around to remove plugs, flies, boga, pliers, whatever you need. It is roomy enough for spools, tacke, lunch and drinks etc. I carry the plugs/lures/flies in plastic adjustable divider cases, also good for swivels etc. Patagonia's web site (www.patagonia.com) currently has them for $59 regularly $85. (The price may come down. I paid $39 for a close out color (black) last June at that site) If you adjust the strap to its shortest length, the pack rides high on your back for comfort and is out of the water if you wade fish or climb around jetties. Zippers are water shielded, there are three generous compartments, a waterproof section, and exterior cinch staps for spare jacket etc.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:05 AM

I know the Cabelas saltwater catalog had a couple of large plug bags, don't remember how much or the model.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:36 AM

I get a lot of hunting stuff from Cabela's but they really fail when it comes to surfcasting. They are just not geared to that market. Deer, largemouths, squirrels, turkey calls, cammie seat covers.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 PM

Make sure you get the biggest surf bag that you can find. You'll only use about three plugs a night, but it will build the trapezeous muscle on whichever side has the strap slung over it. You'll be in excruciating pain and eventually look lopsided, but you'll be ready for the inshore yellowfin tuna bite, should it happen.

Obviously kidding. You want a nice bag - the tall aquaskinz small bag. Holds about 6-8 plugs of normal size in 3 tubes and goes on your belt. Match that with the large pouch and you'll be plenty well equipped and comfortable. Expensive - yes, worth it - yes.