Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 PM

Default Stan Gibbs Tournament

I just spent a dozen days along the Canal, and was surprised by the invasion of the Stan Gibbs gang. I never saw so many guys fishing the Canal. It seemed like a great day of fishing fellowship and all, and for a good cause, but it was a little strange. It seemed that every other guy was holding a fishing rod in one hand and a cell phone in the other.

Old Stan might have been more than a little aghast to see so many guys fishing his spots, even if they were doing it in his name. He would have been especially annoyed at the guys using Sebile lures.....
Old 06-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Stan Gibbs Tournament

Great post, Clam, no doubt a lot of things would have surprised Stan. For those of us who have happened to bridge the two times, it has been a bit consternational. My wife keeps a cell phone but I have never had need for one. I still say that history will some day recall how the newniss of having a cell phone sparked so many unnecessary phone calls. We keep our land line shut off so why would we want to carry a phone .... other than to report a heart attack .
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Stan Gibbs Tournament

I've fished with a bunch of gibbs guys over the past couple years and the phone thing can get on my nerves when one of them finds me in a productive spot and in 15 minutes there's 30 of them. On the other side of things I welcome calls from one of the founders who always gives me timely info on whats going on down there. I can say that most.off the gibbs guys I've fished with know the canal really well and do well consistantly but its not because of phones. Most of them are older and have 20 plus years chasing bass.
The "ditch trolls" are a seperate group, more members toward my age and they rely heavily on there phones down there.