Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Team SS

Default IBSP general surf info for through out the season please?

I have fished bass & blues at IBSP surf this past fall. It is beautiful and productive. Can you IBSP'ers please give me some info about what can be expected throught the year? Is there a weakie presence in the spring? Tog in the rocks? Fluke, croakers, kingfish? Does it get too crowded to fish in the spring/summer? Is there decent spring striper action? I am looking for general species and season info, not specific time and spots. As always feel free to PM me.
Thanks in advance for any info.
JD

Last edited by Bob D'Amico : 01-30-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Re: IBSP general surf info for through out the season please?

JJD,
Wow! Lots of questions,I'll try my best to answer some of them.Spring fishing is good,the stripers start moving around out front in late April,but I dont know about this year.They are still picking at them now!I have never targeted tog,but I do hear they get them at the north jetty.Weakfish,the same,never caught one,but they do well on them in the inlet and back bay areas.Blues,well,whenever they are around,you know you will get them there...Summer,expect a lot of sea robins and dogfish, skates,kingfish are also around,I just never bothered fishing for them.Dont discount striper fishing in the summer,but it is usually much better at night than daytime.A couple years ago,was swimming with the girlfriend at the bathing beach,high noon,about 100 people in the water,and a school of good sized stripers were swimming around looking for whatever the swimmers feet kicked up off the bottom.Now,that was cool! I have gotten fluke over 4 lbs from the beach,completely by accident,on clam on a high low rig.Last summer was getting a lot of them,but they were all just undersized.In late summer,expect the croakers,usually either just around sunrise or sunset,smaller hooks and clams work well.You can also expect an occasional blues blitz late August.They are fun,as there usually isnt too many people fishing when they pop up.Oh,one other thing I forgot...Cow nosed rays.You will find them cruising the beach in schools during the summer,and they love clams.If you see them,stay close to your rod.They will drag it away if you arent looking.The first one or two are fun to catch,but in 85-90 degree heat,you will get worn out fighting them before they do... 25-40 pounders are common.
I'm sure I forgot some things,so if I did ask away!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:29 PM
SS/Veteran

But what Rags didn't say was that the weakies are in the back a lot earlier than most people think! But thats because Rags truck doesn't go below the last entrance . Thats his personal Mason -Dixon line. IMO Spring is as good, if not better there. Good luck, Joe
Old 01-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Unless you have a 4x4 and don't like to walk, don't limit yourself to the park.
There are a lot of other good area's to fish that are bug free in the summer for early morning and night fishing here.
I've also found night fishing in the park on weekends are the pits due to all the headlights. It's like fishing on the parkway.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Hey Joe!
I've been getting down below the "Mason Dixon Line" more than you might think... And it used to be further north,like A7... Didnt want to get into the back bay side,as I dont fish there too much,but you are probably right about the weaks showing early there.I think this year I'm going to do some wading early on the back side.
And Jess is right about other spots,and the crowds on the weekends.Even at night,there are a lot of buggys,especially in the south end,all running around with the headlights on...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM

I had great weakfish action last spring through early July with two over 8 lbs. I have never togged there but I saw some one this summer fishing green crabs and getting a fish on every cast, mostly small but a couple keeper's.You can get small blues in back all through the summer. I also landed a houndfish at area 15 last July. I don't have multiple seasons there but if last year is any indicator I find spring to be more consistent. The croakers start to get thick in late August and stay still untill mid fall I just stay with bigger hooks and whole clams to avoid the small ones but like Rags said small hooks and small clam strips will work.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:12 PM
SS/Veteran

What about the drum out front in the late spring!?
Also, we were getting some small spotted hake in the fall. If this weather pattern holds I'm gonna' be out back as soon as it opens to bass!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Fish Tank
Drum seem to appear most near full moon from what I have seen
Old 01-31-2006, 11:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Drum should be there for our 3peat!!!!!!! Joe.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

If you want to fish the park in the summer months, I recommend the Maintnence Shed, stay away from those loons in buggies , they can't go there.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:23 AM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

As far as how crowded it gets: they limit it to 2000 cars because that's the amount of parking spaces they have and 500 beach buggies because they think that's an equitable number in the summer. With a car, you better get there B4 0900 on a July weekend. They have only hit the 500 buggy twice ever that I know of. If you are fishing this shouldn't bother you. You will be there before or after the crowds are.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Team SS

Thanks everyone. I agree, come-on-spring!! Again I am not asking for specifics or spot burning, but...will someone tell me about fishing from foot/wading on back side of IBSP? I do have a buggy. I know folks fish yakc but is there worthwhile fishing accessable by foot outback? How and when would you reccomend fishing for weaks outback (bait, lures, techniques, GENERAL type areas to look for, etc.)? Are black drum caught more out-front or out-back? When does striper fishing generally heat up in the surf (time, water temp, ect.) Again I would appreciate general info. as all I have ever done there is fall stripers. I love fishing for weaks & that last yr was great in the bay and out front but I also heard one needed a boat? I love IBSP, it's so beautiful. Looking foward to meeting some of you folks at the "Ultimate-Fishing-Workshop" and on the beach this spring! PM's or e-mails are always welcomed.
As alway thanks much!
JD
Old 02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

JD,
Cant help you much on the back,though I plan on giving it shot this spring.As far as out front,stripers start showing in decent amounts in late April,though you can get them earlier.Mid May is when the striper fishing starts to pick up.The black drum are more on the front side,at least I believe so,and they show up about the same time.Clam work well for drum,but I know someone who got a LARGE one to bite a bare treble hook.... I'll see you at the workshop.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Hey JD,
There are alot of good places to try back there. There are stripers and weakies in early March. Blood worms are the first baits to produce back there but clams will work and so will artificials as the water warms up. Bluefish traditionally are in the bay from mother's day on. Area 15 is great for wading just wade out to about waist deep and you will see the drop off in front of you, sometimes the fish are right in front of you other times you need to walk along the drop off untill you find fish. Area 7 has some good structure but sees alot of boat traffic so it's most productive before Memorial day. Area 21 is pretty shallow but can be productive you usually have to wade north or south untill you find fish there are some good out flows to the north but it's a bit of a walk. If you can get to the inlet it can be worth it, again you can walk west pretty far to find some good water. Weakfish and stripers are pretty much a night thing but you can hit them at sunset or sunrise as well, they tend to stay in the bay untill late april early may but Iv'e caught some big weaks in the inlet in july. You can catch blues anytime of day you just have to find the bait, the big ones will leave the bay in june but you can catch 1 to 2 lb blues all summer. I like soft plastics in the back though it can get expensive with blues around. Generally smaller size plugs of any type will work, just experiment. Definetly use teasers they are very productive in the back any type of fly or a red gill will work.Good luck.
Ben
Old 02-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Team SS

Thanks Rags & Ben. I too plan on doing some exploring out-back this spring.
Tight lines gentelmen.
JD