Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Angry Wrong way to release a striper, for all this matter any kind of fish .

ya know not that I like to rag, but today I did see an angler, rather a man, throw his Striper up in the air to toss it back in the water twice the second time I just had to get a video on the second time or , Maybe I might post a right way and deadly wrong way to release a striper om my web and use it as an example, this just might wake some people up, notice I said people , not anglers .

I wanted to say something but I guess it was better for my health not to
It really made me want to cry

CLICK TWICE ON THE PICTURE, IT'LL MAKE YOU ALL SICK

This might be a good topic to post opinions on.
Maybe we'll get viewers who like to read posts and might learn from this .
Whats the right way I know most of us know butlets see how many don;'t know ?
I was steaming mad
Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Wrong way to release a striper, for all this matter any kind of fish .

You have to stand up for whats right. I will absolutely try and stop that when I see it. Even if it means talking with, then discussing, then confronting said angler.

There was some savage leaving skates to die on the beach the other night. I went over and put them back in. I did not say much to him and did not glare, I just went under his bait line, saved em and walked back to my spot. If you are too stupid to not move once you start catching skates and sea robins and so kill them in a childlike murderous tantrum, you have (in my eyes- please see disclaimer)lost your right to privacy on the beach. I will invade your territory and try and fix the situation.

I am not trying to be high and mighty. But if we expect our fishery and enviornment to survive, we must, as responsible stewards of the land, step in and BE A STEWARD!

We hear from the ANTIS and Stuie Chaifetz about what awful savages sportsmen are and here 5 days later we are kicking XXXXing fish. We hear about lost access and how too many people can ruin a fishery. That can happen only if
1. There are more of the savages than the stewards.
2. There are more, 'I'm just minding my own' than the stewards

Where are you?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Wrong way to release a striper, for all this matter any kind of fish .

As you can see from a distance I was, I was mad to begin with, you know me and my mouth?
I have seen many dead skates dead on the beach a long with some sand sharks,it's a pity, it seems like every one wants to argue about foolish things in some post, they like to voice their opinions on some issures that are compleatly nonesense.
Lets see how many anglers post here and tell the world throwing the fish 5 feet in the air to release it , and kicking it back in the ocean never the less such a beautiful fish as a striper is dead wrong
I my self walked over to a few anglers and put their bluefish back in the water, even a few stripers that were released and washed back in.
You know shipwreck even if we told them they were releasing the fish the wrong way,some get all up set and tell you to mind your own business, which is fine, but I'll go off the wall because it is my business.
Thanks for yor reply, I know you care
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM

I said it in a post a year or two ago that I see a lot of fishermen in sneakers ( especially bait guys) and asked how do they properly release a fish without getting wet?

I'm always up to learning something new and the only way I could figure was the toss the fish method ( which isn't good for the fish! ). I'm always in Tevas, Boots or waders, depending on the water or air temperatures. I get my feet wet when I release a fish

I still would like to know how to do it properly while wearing sneakers.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnemo58 View Post
I said it in a post a year or two ago that I see a lot of fishermen in sneakers ( especially bait guys) and asked how do they properly release a fish without getting wet?

I'm always up to learning something new and the only way I could figure was the toss the fish method ( which isn't good for the fish! ). I'm always in Tevas, Boots or waders, depending on the water or air temperatures. I get my feet wet when I release a fish

I still would like to know how to do it properly while wearing sneakers.
Get wet or don't fish bad weather in sneakers I guess, in bad and cold weather conditions like this a good angler will by a pair of waders on hip boots.
I always go as far out as I can, I put the fish in a swimming posision, the wait a few seconds and watch it swim away unharm and safe where it belongs., it sure is a good feeling .
it's our duty to make sure what gets released is done with TLC.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 PM
SS/Insider

Kudos to you for standing up. I get upset when I see folks rip the hook out of a sea robin or skate as well. Hey these fish may not be the trophy fish but they did give you a glimmer of excitement. Its like catching a sunfish when you are trout fishing. These other fish are fun to catch and take a bit of the skunk away. As for the propper realease of the bass these fish grow up to be the big ones, it brings good fish mojo if you act right. You know some environmentalist will use a video like this to show how we need to stop allowing fishing in NJ.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 PM
SS/Veteran

While propper fish release is being discussed, I'd like to note that when reviving a fish do not move it back and forth in the water, just hold it upright and let it pant till it takes off. Fish gills are designed to work in one direction, by moving it in reverse you can hurt the gills.

When in the surf releasing a fish gently in the water is possible, but perched on top of a jetti it has to be tossed back in. Stripers are quite tough.

I thoroughly agree that the idiot in the movie was acting in total disrespect of the fish, but I think the fish was done for after it washed up the first time.

Guppie, just keep an eye out for that guy, follow him around, and if he ever catches a keeper run up grab the fish and throw it back. Tell him he doesn't deserve a keeper, and run to the vehicle and have Don spirit you away!!! Actually, from the looks of the guy in the video, I think you could've taken him, you shoulda' kicked his @$$ and thrown him into the drink!!! You go Girl!!!

I'll be on the island in about 4hrs. Chris' ears r on!!!

Tightlines!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:58 PM

I'm young and I'll usually tell people what is right. Some dude caught an 18" next to me during a blitz this year and he turns to me after putting it on the beach and says "looks 28 to me", to which I picked the striper up, threw it back, and continued fishing. The guy was a little bewildered, but I'm pretty sure he knew I could take him
Old 11-10-2007, 06:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tank View Post
While propper fish release is being discussed, I'd like to note that when reviving a fish do not move it back and forth in the water, just hold it upright and let it pant till it takes off. Fish gills are designed to work in one direction, by moving it in reverse you can hurt the gills.

When in the surf releasing a fish gently in the water is possible, but perched on top of a jetti it has to be tossed back in. Stripers are quite tough.

I thoroughly agree that the idiot in the movie was acting in total disrespect of the fish, but I think the fish was done for after it washed up the first time.

Guppie, just keep an eye out for that guy, follow him around, and if he ever catches a keeper run up grab the fish and throw it back. Tell him he doesn't deserve a keeper, and run to the vehicle and have Don spirit you away!!! Actually, from the looks of the guy in the video, I think you could've taken him, you shoulda' kicked his @$$ and thrown him into the drink!!! You go Girl!!!

I'll be on the island in about 4hrs. Chris' ears r on!!!

Tightlines!!!
Thanks Fish Tank
I know you have lots of respect for the ocean and the fish along with many other stripsurf members.
you wrote that well.
We all do what we have to do and I have a plan already.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 PM
SS/Insider

I have total respect for the fish I catch and HATE seeing guys "tossing" fish back into the water like that idiot. I have on many occasions gotten myself pretty wet putting fish back into the water, even when it's cold out. It's just pure lack of respect for the sport.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 PM

The floating dead fish years ago were from the pollution not tossing them from the pier. I too have seen many dead floating fish on the ocean side and the bay, especially in the bay, but I doubt that they were all from the guys tossing them back incorrectly. Hell at one point I can remember not being aloud to even swim in the bay. The fish are alot hardier then they are given credit for. I still say that the fish was probably dead before it hit the water the first time. Gill hooked most likely.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris c View Post
I have total respect for the fish I catch and HATE seeing guys "tossing" fish back into the water like that idiot. I have on many occasions gotten myself pretty wet putting fish back into the water, even when it's cold out. It's just pure lack of respect for the sport.
Some one had mentioned to me what's the difference if you throw the fish off a jetty or from the surf.
I have watched many anglers kind of dropping the fish off the rocks , not flippin it three feet up in the air.
# 2 when you release a bass or any fish from the surf, if not done with tender lovin care, this fish will wash in with the waves,there is deep water off of the tip of North Jetty at IBSP, not much of a chance the striper will get bounced around in a wave ,most likely the fish will swim away un harmed. This is only IMHO.
Throwing it in to a wave, the fish will bounce a few times, who knows if the fish won't get stressed out never make it back i to deep water,hold the fish in a swimming position, till the tail starts to wiggle, then wait for high water , and watch it gently swim away .
Read what Fishtank wrote , makes a lot of sense
Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunatick View Post
The floating dead fish years ago were from the pollution not tossing them from the pier. I too have seen many dead floating fish on the ocean side and the bay, especially in the bay, but I doubt that they were all from the guys tossing them back incorrectly. Hell at one point I can remember not being aloud to even swim in the bay. The fish are alot hardier then they are given credit for. I still say that the fish was probably dead before it hit the water the first time. Gill hooked most likely.

Guppie is 50' away from this guy and watches the entire thing, from hook up to release but yet your 100 miles from here and you think she is wrong..

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 PM

She has only indicated that she saw him throw it back twice, she did not state that she watched him hook up and then dehook the fish. She only stated that she witnessed him throw it back twice and caught the second time on video.

"today I did see an angler, rather a man, throw his Striper up in the air to toss it back in the water twice the second time I just had to get a video on the second time"
Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunatick View Post
She has only indicated that she saw him throw it back twice, she did not state that she watched him hook up and then dehook the fish. She only stated that she witnessed him throw it back twice and caught the second time on video.

"today I did see an angler, rather a man, throw his Striper up in the air to toss it back in the water twice the second time I just had to get a video on the second time"
OH MY GOOD LORD
Closed Thread