Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:15 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I'm a little surprised that they still have antlers. Our deer shed their antlers a few weeks back. Must be a regional phenom.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:39 AM
SS/Veteran

We have been scouting for deer and turkeys since the hunting season closed. Yesterday we went to a spot in RI where the farmer lets everybody hunt. The place is overrun with guys in season. We saw so many deer tracks in the mud that it was like a deer park -- like Jess's yard
Old 02-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Went to my local guy to get feed and I told him my new recorded for seeing deer at one time was now 16 instead of 12.
He says he farms over 300 acres in the area and last year he had a 40 acre field of beans that wasn't even worth combining because of deer damage.
He said unless something isn't done about the deer problem agriculture won't exist in this area.
Frank how are the farms up your way doing?

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 PM
SS/Veteran

No, its not like that here. Custom here is to shoot any deer. Nobody buck hunts like they do elsewhere. Two months, every day, its a big deal to see ONE deer per week. My wife and I shot three this year and have become the envy of many local hunters as high hooks of the forest.

Of course what is the sense of shooting more than you can eat?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:38 PM

Robin Hood and Maid Marion with a blunder buss. Sort of. You should drive down to Union and Somerset County NJ when they do the deer "cull" in the Watchung Reservation. Lot's of does being taken, but there are more than a few 6 and 8 pointers around. Back in the old days when I ran in there I met all of them. Yikes !
Old 02-28-2018, 04:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Jersey is a tough place for out-of-state hunters. Wife and I have known about Jersey overrun with deer for years but they require a course, even with experience and that is offered during a time when we are hunting at home. Those special "culls" are residents only. While we would love to go there to hunt we just can't make it work and government there won't let it happen. Of course if Jersey hunters came to Mass it would probably be worse. While the state is run by liberals, there is nothing LIBERAL about how they run it. They do, however, let even out-of-staters smoke dope, even on Sundays.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Speaking of deer collisions, Last year my wife shot a medium buck and when we skinned it out the left front leg was all black and blue/green. We figure it must have been hit by a car. We dumped that leg and ate the rest. Fine eating.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:45 AM
SS/Veteran

Regarding a previous topic. Did your neighbor ever down load his trail camera photos so we know what was eating, stealing your bone and meat scrapes in your backyard (behind the shed?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Regarding a previous topic. Did your neighbor ever down load his trail camera photos so we know what was eating, stealing your bone and meat scrapes in your backyard (behind the shed?
Yes, no surprise. some deer, a lot of coyotes, an occasional fox, an occasional 'coon. All at night. Occasional squirrel during the day.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Yes, no surprise. some deer, a lot of coyotes, an occasional fox, an occasional 'coon. All at night. Occasional squirrel during the day.
Deer eat meat?

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 03-02-2018, 11:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Deer eat meat?
No, I must have said something that caused you to misunderstand. We don't bait the camera angle. However, coyotes are omnivorus as they do eat apples elsewhere.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
No, I must have said something that caused you to misunderstand. We don't bait the camera angle. However, coyotes are omnivorus as they do eat apples elsewhere.

I was thinking what was eating the meat scraps and you were pointing out what was seen on the trail cam.

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 03-04-2018, 08:47 PM

The lower Ct police or Westchester Co team just shot a klled three coyotes which had apparently been attacking people, dogs etc up in the Rye / Greenwich area. All three tested postive for rabies. hat would explain the daytime escapades. Not good. Why only three and not four or five. Need some tracking animals and shooters up there.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:14 PM
SS/Veteran

My wife and walk/scout a lot and go in the woods every day, even if only for under an hour. We go and we watch different areas all the time. We can go to a new place every day in the off season. We carry a ski pole for use as a cane to help us walk and the bottom of the ski pole is a good defence tool. Not saying that the woods is dangerous but if, like she and I, these walks are done for many years, sooner or later you are going to have to defend yourself. If the ski pole isn't enough, a legally registered sidearm like my S&W .38 is option #2. A person like me, or my wife, is required to have a permit for hunting anyway so the licensing officer has to give us the highest level, same price, which is "concealed carry". The mere presence of a firearm prevents a lot of crime. BTW, 100,000 citizens in Mass have that carry permit. Then there is another unknown number, my guess at least that number, who don't.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Overload
Attached Images

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!