Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I am beginning to think when those shots fired alarms go off that the cops (the good guys) respond after taking two rides around the block to let the event settle. Why you will ask? of course why would they want to get caught in the middle of a shoot out. They want to go home to their family.

I think it is Mother Natures way of culling the herd. The ER's do a great business.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I am acquainted with a SW fly fisherman whose girl friend is a trauma room surgeon in a Boston Hospital. All she does is take out bullets and patch up guys who don't have insurance. (Meanwhile they keep passing laws for gun club straits.)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:47 PM
SS/Veteran

This is why we should endorse training and target practice at a certified range to give the inner city shooters the gift of one shot one kill. This would solve the insurance problem and trim the herd as well as well as save that innocent bystander. We might want to provide them with hollow point ammo that will not in theory travel through walls of houses.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Tomorrow we start a special six day RI antlerless muzzleloader on private property. I got a doe in that last year but it is very demanding because of the foliage. You really can't go in the woods. You have to hunt the power lines and field edges dawn and dusk. Its not a big deal like November rut hunting but it is something. You have to skin and quarter right away because of the heat. And the yellow jackets come from Jersey to Ontario to feast upon your deer while you work.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:12 PM
SS/Veteran

There is no way to solve the yellow jacket problem but to blow out hard so the little critters will not fly into your mouth. These bees are just field bees looking for a treat, passive in nature. If you hit a nest you will know it. I get a charge out of grown men and woman backing off and waving their arms about like loonies.

Good luck, good hunting---it is what it is and a preview of coming attractions. Make the best of it.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:41 PM

The foliage has gotten pretty and the reds of autumn are popping. It is not the same to deer hunt in warm weather like we have now. I seem to be stuck with the perception that hunting is done during the rut, that there is some snow and long johns are uniform of the day. Instead we have to stay on field edges and power lines where we can see a little better. The woods are still half summer. But I just know we will get another deer.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:19 AM
SS/Veteran

Frost warnings here tonight which might trigger the up coming rut as hormones get triggered. With the winds the leaves will be falling. Turkey shoots are starting up so it seems that we are on the brink of hunting season.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:04 PM

Yes, Rich, it is hunting season. We just closed out a week of special muzzleloader in RI. And yesterday we hunted our local rod and gun shooting preserve pheasants. A friend took Joyce and I out with his dog and we got five points and three pheasants. Two of the birds gave us the slip with the help of foliage. It was well attended and festive. I think the dogs have the most fun in these. Conn fall turkeys are on already and we may get permits for that; not sure.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM
SS/Veteran

Pheasant hunting, I remember those hunting days as a youth when I wanted to borrow the neighbors dog, so he was a German Shepard but he did cover some ground and come when I called.

Because I got the fever for hunting pheasant again, I did a search on how to raise from chicks. I have down chickens (layers and meatbirds) but pheasants are far beyond that level of my efforts.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 PM

It can't be rocket science because a lot of guys raise them for hobby. I think it better if you can provide open flight pens so they can realize their full potential as flyers. I huge criticism of Mass pheasants is that they do more running than flying because their flying ability is thwarted by their poor development.

For years Joyce and I hunted birds that were raised for hunting in flight pens and the buggahs used to really provide a great gun target. Then we would shoot state birds and they were very limited, low quality generally reluctant to take flight. Also, pheasants that are not too heavy are also better targets, quicker to fly and fly well, than overweight monsters. Contrary to what you might think, the bigger the bird, the poorer the hunt performance.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:10 PM

I was over at the Vineyard chasing funny fish for the Derby and there were a half a dozen pheasants standing in the road over by Lobsterville looking like they wanted to be returned to the pen. I think the great outdoors overwhelmed them.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 AM

The Vineyard birds may be native or wild unless they escaped from some local preserve. I don't think the state stocks there. If the state does they would not put pheasants out until this week as the pheasant season opens this coming Saturday. How birds look does not say anything about their breeding.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 PM
SS/Veteran

I am reminded of a story, many years ago now where I was hunting a corn field full of state stocked birds. I was driving with two young untrained dogs but they were working the field in a zig zag pattern. The corn field was backed up by a dike that weld back the Connecticut river. I knew birds were there a I pushed toward this dike and the dogs were in high gear. As I approached the dike about 100 yards (out of range) the birds ran up the dike and flew over the river which was a maximum effort. The other side of the river was a residential neighbor. Days later I heard some kid with a pellet gun reaped the harvest.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM

Properly bred and fed pheasants make good stock outs because they are inherently hawky. Many areas are suitable for the development of native populations if the cover is right and the hunting is not over bearing. I'm told the Elizabeth Islands (Cuttyhunk) and certainly Block Island have robust populations of native birds.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Things are really beginning to open up for hunting. Mass and RI small game tomorrow; Monday fall turkeys and archery deer in Mass. Joyce and I are breathing heavy for November RI muzzle deer November 8.

Joyce got a new CVA Wolf 50 cal that has been shot at deer three times and killed all three. She calls it her lucky rifle and claims that when she shoulders it the deer goes down. Hunting or fishing, one of the joys of the game is good equipment.

I love: "This is my rifle. There are others like it but this one is mine." (courtesy, USMC)