Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Fan Zone

The Fan Zone Discuss Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer or whatever you think is a sport. NASCAR?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation Clemens Report

I just went through the report quickly but will take th etime to read it carefully. My first impression is confirms my initial opinion, Clemens is being framed by McNamee and the Mitchell Report is "McCarthyism" at its best. It will interesting to hear loud mouth Schilling's opinion since he is one of the pitchers statistically compared to Clemens.

Quote:
Roger Clemens' agent released an 18,000-word statistical report Monday to rebut allegations the pitcher's career rebounded about the time he was accused of using performance-enhancing drugs.

"Clemens' longevity was due to his ability to adjust his style of pitching as he got older, incorporating his very effective split-finger fastball to offset the decrease in the speed of his regular fastball caused by aging," said the report, created by Randy Hendricks and two associates at his firm.

Clemens' former trainer, Brian McNamee, claimed in last month's Mitchell Report on drugs in baseball that he injected the pitcher with steroids and human growth hormone at least 16 times in 1998, 2000 and 2001. Clemens vehemently denies the allegations, and Clemens and McNamee are among five witnesses scheduled to testify before a House committee on Feb. 13. Clemens also has sued McNamee for defamation.

Hendricks' report, which includes 38 charts, in some ways resembles a salary arbitration case. One of the charts shows Clemens' ERA was lower than the league average in all but two of his 23 major league seasons. The report also compares variations in Clemens' career with those of Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling and Nolan Ryan, and maintains slumps often can be correlated with injuries.

"Of the six years that feature Clemens' best ERA margins, two occurred in Boston, after he had been in the major leagues for several years; two occurred in his two years in Toronto; and two occurred after he switched leagues and pitched for the Houston Astros," the report said.

Clemens went 40-39 in his last four seasons with the Red Sox, and when the pitcher left Boston's general manager at the time, Dan Duquette, said Clemens was in the "twilight" of his career. Clemens was 192-111 with the Red Sox and won three Cy Young Awards and an MVP, then went 162-73 with Toronto, the New York Yankees and Houston, winning four Cy Youngs.

"Clemens was far from being in the 'twilight of his career' or 'washed up' in 1996, as some have speculated," the report said. "During the 1996 season Clemens ranked first in strikeouts in the American League and tied his own record by striking out 20 batters in Detroit on Sept. 18, 1996. In addition, he ranked sixth in the AL in ERA, second in the AL in hits per nine innings, and fifth in innings pitched. This performance cannot be reasonably categorized as a 'twilight.'"
You can download the report in PDF format at: http://www.rogerclemensreport.com

Old 01-29-2008, 03:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Clemens Report

I think the guy tweaked, but what do I know.

The biggest myth about steroids is that they are somehow guaranteed to enhance performance. They don't; they merely enable your body to recover more quickly from demands put on it and/or to build muscle mass. They don't enhance hand/eye coordination, but they may allow you to add strength. They don't improve your pitching motion, though they may allow you to bulk up a bit and get more behind the pitch (if you buy the notion that size, rather than motion, is more important in effective pitching). They do not enhance the twitch muscles' performance and give you quicker reflexes.

Look at all the people listed in the Mitchell report and come to your own conclusion about how effective steroids really are; most were wash-outs who either merely had a cup of coffee in the bigs or at best failed to become stars. In the case of an exceptional athlete, they MAY help inflate stats. But it's just as likely that they do not... even in an exceptional athlete. Clemens' stats are a poor way to evaluate whether he was juiced or not. I think the bigger issue is not whether performance has been enhanced, but whether a player has deliberately skirted the rules in any attempt to gain an edge.

Then again, there's the old saying, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying!"

Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Clemens was 192-111 with the Red Sox and won three Cy Young Awards and an MVP, then went 162-73 with Toronto, the New York Yankees and Houston, winning four Cy Youngs.
Interesting that they point that out...My math shows a 63% winning % in his younger days (to age 34) with Boston and a 69% winnning percentage after (age 35-45)....what's in the pinstripe koolaid anyway...

and Bonds hits 73 at the age of 37 and 46,45,45 in following years...yeah 45 at age of 40...but never topped 50 any other year...

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:52 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

It is that recovery at an age where your body normally is breaking down more rapidly that *does* entice older athletes. but truth be told it is likely a majority of younger ball players have done some type of steroids. an extra few% of juice on the ball makes a huge different in a statistically charged game like baseball...

I *never* liked Clemens, and wish he would just retire into the sunset.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico View Post
I just went through the report quickly but will take th etime to read it carefully. My first impression is confirms my initial opinion, Clemens is being framed by McNamee and the Mitchell Report is "McCarthyism" at its best. It will interesting to hear loud mouth Schilling's opinion since he is one of the pitchers statistically compared to Clemens.

You can download the report in PDF format at: http://www.rogerclemensreport.com
I think anyone who likes baseball hoped that Clemens could clear his name. But walking into this article thinking Clemens is framed, then you read this highly biased report put forward by Clemens legal team and it doesnt talk you out of it???? Is his wife going to publish the next report?

Although I dont know if he really did it or not, I am inclined to think he did it:

1) If McNamee lies he goes to jail, if he tells the truth, he doesnt go to jail. McNamee had all the incentive to be truthful and was at huge risk if he lied.

2) 2) The "McCartyistic" hunt, naming players with obsure ties and references seemed unfair in the beginning. But the reality is many of the guys everyone thought were low risk, i.e. Roberts, Pettitte, have admitted to taking performance enhancing products.

3) Clemens and his team had a huge advantage going into the taped phone call with McNamee. I understand why Clemens couldn't say " tell everyone I didnt do it" because it could be construed as witness tampering; however, he could say statements for himself to draw responses from McNamee, "you f^&*%& liar, why did you say I did enhancing drugs when I never did it". Clemens seemed to have more contempt and anger to the media that day then he did during his call with McNamee. The Clemens side had a huge advantage for the call and the result left more questions than answers for most.

About Schilling

1) Schilling already said he hopes that Clemens is innocent and can set the record straight, that he always looked up to Roger. But if he is guilty, he should turn in the Cy Youngs he won that year. 38pitches.com always has Curt's opinions. Who could have a problem with that? Why is Curt the bad guy now?:

2) Who compares Schilling numbers with Clemens? ... they arent even close, Clemens was a lock in the HOF, Schilling barely stands a chance.
Clemens W 354 L184 Era 3.12 K's 4672
Schilling W 216 L 146 ERA 346 K's 3116

The Mitchell report isnt perfect. Mitchell explained the narrow scope of his investigation very well, he asked no punishments be handed out either, because the only cooperation he got was from 2 people (Rodomski, McNamee) who had to talk or go to jail. Mitchell said the report wasnt complete, everyone admits it.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM

First, I should have added an LOL to the opening sentence of the above post because it was certainly meant in a way that buddies call each other out

Rumors of McNamee showing up to Congress with samples of vials with Clemens DNA on the needles/gauze hold zero credibility with me:
-What is he doing with that biohazard material for so long?
- Could easily have been tampered with

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...nst_ clemens/
Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 PM

Why on Earth would McNamee save needles with Rodger Clemens DNA and traces of steriods on them? If the guy had no ulterior motive, he would have done as any medical person is trained to do, placed them in the "Sharps" waste and disposed of them properly.

If, assuming you did have a needle with rodger clemens DNA on it, how hard would it be to plant traces of Steriods on it when you had 5 years to manipulate the "evidence" as you saw fit?

OJ's lawyers would eat McNamee alive and spit him out as the new Mark Ferhman. This entire episode stinks from the ground up.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 02-12-2008, 05:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Maybe McNamee realized that he was doing an illegal thing (if he was injecting Clemens) and decided to save some things for "insurance" later. I've heard he is ex law-enforcement?

Seems like a he-said / he-said, we may never really know.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Clemens is likely guilty. He's guilty in my mind. But the charges are unprovable given what McNamee has, vials or no vials. Nothing will hold up in court, and Roger's lawyers are likely convinced of that.

Hence, Roger can play the "I'm innocent" angle, bang his fists, accuse, jump up and down, without worry.

The hearings are a sham... pure posturing by election year politicos.

But in the court of public opinion Roger has lost already, and he won't be getting into the Hall of Fame first round (or maybe even 20th round).
Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM

The Pettitte testimony is CRUSHING to Clemens side of the story. Those conversations are the kind you dont forget.

McNamee has little credibility, but its just not him anymore. I thought his accusation of Debbie Clemens was outragous, and now, ...its true?? She developed problems with the shot and didnt go to a doctor, hmmmm?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

After all this...does anyone still think he didn't juice up....

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Its sad and it is upsetting me greatly. I wish they would just let it go. If they indict him I will be furious. I dont care what he did, but to send him to jail is just ludicrous.
I see the thugs standing free on the corners of Trenton and think of the Rocket in the Big House and it makes me crazy.

Let it go, move forward and make the Players Union stand up and start real testing. Players are being paid a lot of money, its time they start proving they are earning it fair and square.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Senior Fellow

I don't really think Clemens is facing jail, just the truth that he juiced, that he lies and that he is without integrity...and all this from a guy who was a Hall of Fame lock before he did anything..I always remember him throwing the piece of bat at Piazza in the World Series and then denying/lying about it..if he had just said "I got caught up in the moment and I am really sorry" we all would have understood..but NOOOOO, he is Roger and he owes nobody...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 AM
SS/Veteran

If the guy juiced (and I think he did), he lied to Congress under oath. That, folks, is a crime... albeit no worse than lying about getting a hummer from an intern, IMHO.

A little consistency, please, from the peanut gallery.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 AM

hey this nut agrees that he lied to congress.

but the guy getting hummer got a pension for life, into the "hall of fame" so to speak, we pay for a $10000/mo "office" plus security details AND he keeps shaping democratic platform/policy AND could wind up in the white house AGAIN.

not bad for lying to congress.

Clemens, if convicted, is facing some jailtime.