Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 01-05-2000, 01:03 PM

**** UPDATE ****

The show isn't about Stripers it's about Red Drum!

"The Casting Call
It's Drum-mania along the edge of the land as Assateague anglers race to catch the greatest living prize the Atlantic has to offer: the Red Drum. "
www.mpt.org/madebympt/outdoors/descriptions_2000.shtml

Here's the URL so you can check my information.

A friends wife noticed a commercial on Maryland Public TV for a show on Stripers on Assateague to be shown this Thursday night at eight PM.

If the Eastern Shore Branch of MPT is going to show it - I'll record it and make it available for those who miss the show or live out of state.

...and for your hundred dollar pledge you get this simulated plastic bunker chunk key chain...

I don't know why the person who emailed me this tip didn't post it here, I'll leave it to that person to take credit for it. I just want a cut of the key chain sales. :-)

[This message has been edited by D Powell (edited 01-05-2000).]
Old 01-05-2000, 01:03 PM

**** UPDATE ****

The show isn't about Stripers it's about Red Drum!

"The Casting Call
It's Drum-mania along the edge of the land as Assateague anglers race to catch the greatest living prize the Atlantic has to offer: the Red Drum. "
www.mpt.org/madebympt/outdoors/descriptions_2000.shtml

Here's the URL so you can check my information.

A friends wife noticed a commercial on Maryland Public TV for a show on Stripers on Assateague to be shown this Thursday night at eight PM.

If the Eastern Shore Branch of MPT is going to show it - I'll record it and make it available for those who miss the show or live out of state.

...and for your hundred dollar pledge you get this simulated plastic bunker chunk key chain...

I don't know why the person who emailed me this tip didn't post it here, I'll leave it to that person to take credit for it. I just want a cut of the key chain sales. :-)

[This message has been edited by D Powell (edited 01-05-2000).]
Old 01-06-2000, 02:20 AM

Just checked my TV guide and they say Red drum and questioned my wife again and she said that she thought they said rockfish but all the fish are the same to her. If its that same show where they gaffed and released that sandtiger shark I apologize cause that will make you sick when you see it. They caught the shark (bout 100 #s) while drum fishing and totally abused that shark. I have half a mind to write MPTV and tell them that most surf fishermen respect the sea and its inhabitants and that those fishermen showed no regard for a gentle release especially for a protected species.
Needless to say they did not catch any drum
Old 01-06-2000, 01:38 PM

Why don't you email MPT? What the heck. My son who has seen this show before says, "...they didn't catch anything Dad." So it must be the show you are thinking about Dave.

Pity.
Old 01-07-2000, 12:13 AM

Yep that was the show
I wrote
"I just finished watching your piece on Outdoors Maryland and as a life long surf fishermen at Assateague Island I was rather disturbed by the way those anglers handled the catch and release of the protected Sandtiger shark, They gaffed the critter in the gills and drug it up on shore. I have seen this many times especially with big rays on the beach. The bluefish was also thrown about 30 feet into the surf. I felt this show sent a bad message to the novice surf fishermen and to those who don't fish. Most of us would have either cut the leader while the shark was in the water or let the wave recede and cautiously remove the hook with long pliers. This shark was bleeding profusely and was obviously mishandled. I doubt it made it.
I love your show and watch it every time its on as I am an active outdoorsmen and usually recognize most of the scenery. Just thought I'd communicate this to you FYI.
Keep up the great show.
Sincerely,
Dave Swenson"
Old 01-10-2000, 11:59 PM

What a misrepresentation of our sport!

>Drum Mania...with no Drum?

>Not wanting to get your sneakers wet so you chuck a bluefish as far as you can!!!

>Gaffing that LARGE sand tiger in the gill as it spurted blood....just to drag it up and look at the teeth...then drag it by the tail (dangerous!!! Wrong!!!) back to the surf to watch it tumble into the surf in a plume of red!!!

What a disgrace! I can't believe the natural resource dept. ran a clip prior to it.

And the announcer...isn't he from the bud light commercials....."denisons of the deep"....oh brother!

If I was a resource cop I'd have busted them for torturing that shark. My $.02

------------------
Gil

http://www.magpage.com/~gil/beach.html

gil@magpage.com

[This message has been edited by Gil (edited 01-10-2000).]