Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 01-15-2000, 12:00 PM

The boards here are looking a little bleak. So I figure I'd spice things up a little with some reports from the Bay and the CBBT area.

Enjoy!

TH
-------------------------------------

Guys, I wish you all could have been there.

Got to Breezy point at 9:30 sharp. It looked like skim ice... Struggled gettting the frozen curtains snapped and zipped into place in the 20 knot winds.

Pete pulls up just as we finish, saying something about a locked gate or something. I think his wife's warm embrace must have been awfully hard to leave for a day of sub-freezing air and 20 mph wind chill.

Turns out that the skim ice was not so skim! At 1/2-1" thick, it broke out a tail lamp of my trailer as I tried to back in. Stopped and chopped ice for a while and finally got the boat in. Touched the key and the Yamaha started as if it wanted to go fishing worse than we did.

Had to chop our way out of the ramp. Once we got turned around, the sharp entry of the boat did the rest. Wow. First time taking a boat through ice for me, but the Grady did very well.

Headed out to a lumpy Bay. The wind was HOWLING. But, I am happy to say, my enclosure worked WONDERFULLY!!! Despite the waves and wind, we were as snug as a bug in a rug!

Fellas, it was like taking a car trip. The Chiller Killer had the inside of that boat as toasty as we could stand. Had to take clothes off to keep cool. Ran to the CC rips at about 15 mph into 2-3 foot seas, sticking close to shore to avoid the big stuff.

Once we got to the rips, we decided to drift once or twice. Everyone connected with fish within the first two or three casts of the first drift. 20" fish, mostly.

We decided to anchor. After that, we caught fish in spurts for the rest of the day. It was funny. We would all catch 3 or 4 in quick succession, and then we would all go 5 minutes without a single hit. Then another 3 or 4 fish in a row each. And so it went the whole day.

I had plenty of layers on, but my hands got cold once or twice. I stepped inside of the enclosure and was toasty within minutes! The enclosure together with the heat is an incredible, wonderful thing on a serious wind chill like today!

Finally had enough of the rips, as the wind had switched to the NW, again at about 20.

As I looked south, I asked Pete, "Hey, do you think there is anything at the Gas Docks?" He looked at me and said, "Only one way to find out!"

To the Gas Docks we ran. Got there in a couple of minutes and watched the X65 for marks by the tunnel. Nothing. The tide seemed pretty slack, so we hunted around. Nothing.

Finally, once we realized that the tide was slack, we decided to check the main structure. Oh joyus days! The fishfinder went BLACK with fish!

Perch? Trout? Seconds later, all three of us had fish on the line.... Rockfish! 20-24 inchers.

We sat there for the next 15 minutes, catching them as fast as we could jig through them. FUN!

During this fun, I kept looking north. The wind had really taken a deep breath and was blowing very hard, now. The ripples turned to chop and then to waves with whitecaps. We had to call it. It was 3:30 and we had caught tons of fish already. Why endure a rough trip back?

So we headed in. The wind got no worse, and the trip back was much more comfortable than the trip down.

The ice was still broken up. Drove the boat up on the trailer, unloaded the gear and shook hands.

Were we crazy to go out on a day like today?

Maybe. But with that incredible Chiller Killer and the wonderful full enclosure that my boat came with, we were comfortable, dry and warm the whole way.

BOY did we have a great time!

Thanks Super and Walleye for sharing it with me!

TH

PS - The rips are not red hot yet, but there are plenty of fish there. Surprisingly, though, there were even more fish at the Gas Docks! Go figure...
Old 01-15-2000, 12:00 PM

The boards here are looking a little bleak. So I figure I'd spice things up a little with some reports from the Bay and the CBBT area.

Enjoy!

TH
-------------------------------------

Guys, I wish you all could have been there.

Got to Breezy point at 9:30 sharp. It looked like skim ice... Struggled gettting the frozen curtains snapped and zipped into place in the 20 knot winds.

Pete pulls up just as we finish, saying something about a locked gate or something. I think his wife's warm embrace must have been awfully hard to leave for a day of sub-freezing air and 20 mph wind chill.

Turns out that the skim ice was not so skim! At 1/2-1" thick, it broke out a tail lamp of my trailer as I tried to back in. Stopped and chopped ice for a while and finally got the boat in. Touched the key and the Yamaha started as if it wanted to go fishing worse than we did.

Had to chop our way out of the ramp. Once we got turned around, the sharp entry of the boat did the rest. Wow. First time taking a boat through ice for me, but the Grady did very well.

Headed out to a lumpy Bay. The wind was HOWLING. But, I am happy to say, my enclosure worked WONDERFULLY!!! Despite the waves and wind, we were as snug as a bug in a rug!

Fellas, it was like taking a car trip. The Chiller Killer had the inside of that boat as toasty as we could stand. Had to take clothes off to keep cool. Ran to the CC rips at about 15 mph into 2-3 foot seas, sticking close to shore to avoid the big stuff.

Once we got to the rips, we decided to drift once or twice. Everyone connected with fish within the first two or three casts of the first drift. 20" fish, mostly.

We decided to anchor. After that, we caught fish in spurts for the rest of the day. It was funny. We would all catch 3 or 4 in quick succession, and then we would all go 5 minutes without a single hit. Then another 3 or 4 fish in a row each. And so it went the whole day.

I had plenty of layers on, but my hands got cold once or twice. I stepped inside of the enclosure and was toasty within minutes! The enclosure together with the heat is an incredible, wonderful thing on a serious wind chill like today!

Finally had enough of the rips, as the wind had switched to the NW, again at about 20.

As I looked south, I asked Pete, "Hey, do you think there is anything at the Gas Docks?" He looked at me and said, "Only one way to find out!"

To the Gas Docks we ran. Got there in a couple of minutes and watched the X65 for marks by the tunnel. Nothing. The tide seemed pretty slack, so we hunted around. Nothing.

Finally, once we realized that the tide was slack, we decided to check the main structure. Oh joyus days! The fishfinder went BLACK with fish!

Perch? Trout? Seconds later, all three of us had fish on the line.... Rockfish! 20-24 inchers.

We sat there for the next 15 minutes, catching them as fast as we could jig through them. FUN!

During this fun, I kept looking north. The wind had really taken a deep breath and was blowing very hard, now. The ripples turned to chop and then to waves with whitecaps. We had to call it. It was 3:30 and we had caught tons of fish already. Why endure a rough trip back?

So we headed in. The wind got no worse, and the trip back was much more comfortable than the trip down.

The ice was still broken up. Drove the boat up on the trailer, unloaded the gear and shook hands.

Were we crazy to go out on a day like today?

Maybe. But with that incredible Chiller Killer and the wonderful full enclosure that my boat came with, we were comfortable, dry and warm the whole way.

BOY did we have a great time!

Thanks Super and Walleye for sharing it with me!

TH

PS - The rips are not red hot yet, but there are plenty of fish there. Surprisingly, though, there were even more fish at the Gas Docks! Go figure...