Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 01-12-2000, 07:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Sorry everyone that I haven't completed the logbook yet. It will be a few weeks until it is done to my satisfaction; also I will probably be putting in a generic form as I haven't been able to combine all the files into one spreadsheet that I can send to you. I could put all the files on the same spreadsheet but I think I might have a virus as files keep disappearing. The last thing I want to do is spread a virus around.

Right now the logbook contains date, time, location, sun/moon data, tides, buoy #44009 data (I'm still waiting for them to put up the 99 year chart), and bait used. Any suggestions for other info?

I am going to code the moon data; day of the new moon will equal 0, first 1/4 will equal 7, and so on.

My thoughts on posting it on this or any other board are mixed. My first reaction is not to post it and ask that all who get one from me to keep it to themselves. My second thought was to post it in hopes that we can get more people to post reports therefore having more information to base conclusions on.

I'm open to all suggestions, thanks Doug.
Old 01-12-2000, 07:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Sorry everyone that I haven't completed the logbook yet. It will be a few weeks until it is done to my satisfaction; also I will probably be putting in a generic form as I haven't been able to combine all the files into one spreadsheet that I can send to you. I could put all the files on the same spreadsheet but I think I might have a virus as files keep disappearing. The last thing I want to do is spread a virus around.

Right now the logbook contains date, time, location, sun/moon data, tides, buoy #44009 data (I'm still waiting for them to put up the 99 year chart), and bait used. Any suggestions for other info?

I am going to code the moon data; day of the new moon will equal 0, first 1/4 will equal 7, and so on.

My thoughts on posting it on this or any other board are mixed. My first reaction is not to post it and ask that all who get one from me to keep it to themselves. My second thought was to post it in hopes that we can get more people to post reports therefore having more information to base conclusions on.

I'm open to all suggestions, thanks Doug.
Old 01-13-2000, 02:38 AM

Data ia always good. I have been keeping a log for years now mostly for drum but there are a whole lot of parameters to look at for Stripers. Most significant are. Time of year Nov/May best when migration is on. Strong onshore wind direction which equals current. Most my fish are when I needed 10 oz to hold and sea is energized with large surf. Sunrise and sunset always best regardless of tides or moonsets. Water temps 50 to 55 best. Water clarity does not make a difference for us bait soakers. Fresh bunker or herring definitely best (prefer heads). Casting to white water at corners of bars or lumps where a good out **** exists or narrow slough spots are good. If I had to pick a tide I would pick the last 2 hours of the out going just like puppy drum, Also always nice to see bait in the water.
Lots of variables so equation gets complicated, The more of these you have the better the odds. Those are my thoughts.
Critter Gitter
Old 01-13-2000, 02:25 PM

Doug:

I am w/ Dave...the more variables you could cover the better. But there comes a point that including every conceivable facet of Striper fishing will only lead to more indecisiveness than conclusions IMO. The basics of tide, wind, time, season, air and water temps, moon phase, type of bait, bait rigs, etc should cover it. Some other variables might include moon rise and fall, barometric pressure, daytime sky condition (overcast, clear, etc.), and other factors like birds, presence of bait, the preceding day(s) weather pattern (just after a norÂ’easter, x days of a west wind, etc.), and possibly currents.

Anyway Doug, TIA for your time and effort in this regard. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

------------------
Rumble Fish formerly known as Poppy ><>