Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-10-2000, 12:01 AM

Dear Frank,

I like fishing with surface poppers such as Atom and Gibbs. I don't see many folks fishing these lures and have had little success with them. My only real rule when using this bait is to limit the use to the dawn and dusk hours or when fish can be seen.
It seems that it's a low percentage lure and I would like to get a better idea of how and when to use them.

Here are some questions that may be helpful in crafting your responce.

1) Are these lures only effective when Bass are blitzing?

2) Poppers stand out in flat calm water and would seem to attract a lot of attention or even an anger responce from any fish in the area, is that when they would be most effective if not for a blitz?

3) If you are drawing in Gulls does that mean you are working the lure correctly, even if they don't dive for it. Do gulls ever try to fly off with them?

4) I just like the feel of the lure in conjuction with my gear. The balance is right, I cast a mile, and I feel very confident with the action I get from the lure. Does this count for somthing?

5) Can you be hired as a guide? Can you rent Frank for the day.

Snakebit
Old 01-10-2000, 12:01 AM

Dear Frank,

I like fishing with surface poppers such as Atom and Gibbs. I don't see many folks fishing these lures and have had little success with them. My only real rule when using this bait is to limit the use to the dawn and dusk hours or when fish can be seen.
It seems that it's a low percentage lure and I would like to get a better idea of how and when to use them.

Here are some questions that may be helpful in crafting your responce.

1) Are these lures only effective when Bass are blitzing?

2) Poppers stand out in flat calm water and would seem to attract a lot of attention or even an anger responce from any fish in the area, is that when they would be most effective if not for a blitz?

3) If you are drawing in Gulls does that mean you are working the lure correctly, even if they don't dive for it. Do gulls ever try to fly off with them?

4) I just like the feel of the lure in conjuction with my gear. The balance is right, I cast a mile, and I feel very confident with the action I get from the lure. Does this count for somthing?

5) Can you be hired as a guide? Can you rent Frank for the day.

Snakebit
Old 01-10-2000, 01:17 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Hi 'Bit,
I've also had little success with them. Note the position of poppers in TROPHY p.51 as last on the list. Still, I would never go on the beach without them both for distance or when bass are blitzing in rough water, a time when they might -- if they have been drinking -- take a popper.
2. Little happens in flat water. Stripers are always cool, so they don't get angry. They might get excited but they kill for food. It's not personal between them and a pogie or a squid. Something like people hunting, we are not mad at the ducks ...like them actually.
3. Yes, poppers draw gulls, which may be their best use. Gill says they taste like chicken. They sometimes fly off with plugs, even get hooked. If so, throw a blanket (or a bag) over their head and talk French to them to calm them.
4. Balance, ease in casting, distance, confidence -- they are all traps in the manhood thing that keeps rearing its head in any activity. Focus on the mission, my man, to catch. What good is it to cast a mile and draw a lot of attention from land and sea creatures if they are not moby stripers? At times, though admittedly less, even bluefish will turn their noses up at a popper. But there are people out there who have taken 50s on poppers. So Miss Manners has to say "never say never".
5. No, I don't guide, though I am flattered at the number of times per year that I get to decline. But if I did, I would never take someone out for "day". Hello?

J made me promise to stop chain pulling. C'mon, wasn't I good on this one? Didn't I hold back. Good questions, 'bit, and thanks for organizing the aspects of it... Poppers are a valid issue.

------------------
Frank
Old 01-10-2000, 04:35 PM

Frank, you're getting better and better. What a card! LOL
Old 01-11-2000, 03:14 AM

Hey Frank,

Since I wrote the question, how about bringing me in on the joke?

P.S. I have three of your books going at the same time. Do you think the cover of your next book could have a picture of a cow with a popper hanging out of it's mouth instead of an eel, just for the heck of it.

Snakebit

[This message has been edited by snakebit (edited 01-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by snakebit (edited 01-11-2000).]
Old 01-11-2000, 05:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Surface poppers may be the best type of lure that I've used next to 5-inch black/purple Bomber plugs. I use the big 3 1/2 ounce Polaris poppers and any size Creek Chub popper, and Zara Spook type poppers. I have a lot of luck with them in the Cape Cod Canal. The best time to use them is from false dawn and they usually work for at least a couple of hours after that. If it's foggy they work longer. I slowly chug them along, it seems that if you move them too fast it scares the fish. It's a lot of fun watching the hit on the surface.
Old 01-12-2000, 11:33 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

'Bit, the joke, though maybe too subtle, is that a lot of the gang have listed nut crackers as ice breakers here on chainpuller.com. Example: rod length, trail or drop in casting weight, day fishing, poppers and the latest, drum roll please, sea-gulls. I was going to do a totally joke response, then I thought, what if this guy really thinks that sea-gulls are good popper critics? So I went easy and that was the joke. Even though you want a guide, "for a DAY", I have you listed as sincere. Even though you want a popper hanging from the maw of a moby striper on the next cover, I have you down as sincere. I have Snakebit listed in my book as a fun guy, who reads the right books and loves a laugh while worshipping at the alter of stripers for real. Do I have that right, 'bit?

Checking my book,where's Froggie?

------------------
Frank