Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-06-2000, 08:26 PM

Hi Frank...happy Y2K!

The Powers that be told me to check with you as you are the resident expert on this question! I have had a Race permit for several years now. I have become kind of fed up with the overcrowding and a few other problems there. Is it worth teh $140 to get a Nauset permit in Orleans? I travel 3 hrs to get to the Race..yes I realize the travel time is not as bad but how is the fishing and the terrain there ?? Thanks for the help...I'm in turmoil whether I should get one or not!
Old 01-06-2000, 08:26 PM

Hi Frank...happy Y2K!

The Powers that be told me to check with you as you are the resident expert on this question! I have had a Race permit for several years now. I have become kind of fed up with the overcrowding and a few other problems there. Is it worth teh $140 to get a Nauset permit in Orleans? I travel 3 hrs to get to the Race..yes I realize the travel time is not as bad but how is the fishing and the terrain there ?? Thanks for the help...I'm in turmoil whether I should get one or not!
Old 01-07-2000, 12:09 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Bob, Don't you have any easy questions? I can't answer that one for you, I can only reflect upon the issues with which you will be confronted. People have contrasted Nauset and P-Town for years, since before townies fished.

In both places you will be dealt with unfairly by the law. Police used to stop buggies based upon what state you came from, ask Froggie. I'm told today that if you are not ticketed at Nauset Inlet you may MAY have your tires slashed for being there without an R sticker. But I can't check the story and the person who told me could have their own agenda...like fishing it for themselves. In P-Town the gestapo have their own friends who they look the other way for, yet there is little enforcement of fishing regs. I view them both as hostile territory where if not hurt, serious time could be spent rotting in a cage for the exercise of what we call on my weopons permit "any lawfull purpose". To have P-Town and Nauset both be in Massachusetts only further exaserbates one's constitutional exercise.

On the less heavy side, too much is at stake when surfcsting to even think about permit costs. We went through the same thoughts when buying four hunting licenses per season times two. Nauset is not closer than P-Town because Nauset is a longer drive on sand. On the other hand, Nauset sand is way easier to drive sandwise than north of there. If you have driven P-town you can drive anywhere. Both trade places as to where bass take up residence. Some years the structure at Nauset is dull. Others, it is a garland of bars, holes, openings and bait moves in like it was a new playground. Way of example, in '77 we cleaned up in P-town and the Nauseteers came north for bass. The next year fish were at Nauset and we renewed old friendships. I have seen linesides skip both places other years. I'll always have a buggy because I use it to get deer out. But of late I wonder -- traffic, police, notions re equal protection, privacy -- if we might be better off in a Buick with a two piece rod in the trunk fishing under the world's nose as like Napatree, Pt Jude, the Canal, the Bay. I don't want to be another Donald Graham as they are only fish. Hope this wasn't too heavy, Bob.

------------------
Frank
Old 01-07-2000, 08:36 PM

You know Frank, it's funny you mention the Gestapo. My buddy and I had a run in with 2 Cowboys last year on the Race. They decided that they had guns and wanted to play a little "Harass the fisherman." When they approached us, it was attitude all the way. Little did they know that both of us were "Real Cops" no the fakes they are. We traded insults and they cried off into the sunset! It's amazing that jerks like that are given jobs.

Days later, 2 letters were received at the Chief Ranger station. Weeks later, the Chief Ranger resigned. We never heard back. I think you are right....we really should go back to Spag Special 2 piece rods and the Buick. It's jerks like that that make fishing more work than pleasure.

As for answering my question, Thanks! I never thought of the fact that you have to drive more beach on Nauset. I will stick with the Race and avoid those little white Pickup trucks!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Bob
Old 01-08-2000, 10:42 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Bob, I came back to delete this topic, not because of your qustion but my ramble as the gang doesn't need that. Short answer is to stick with P-Town as there is more to the mix. I wouldn't overlook way east in new areas (which were old).

You have to be scratching your head when you go over the Bourne and Sagamore Bridges wondering what people are doing down there. Think in terms of creating alternative spots for yourself so that there are more options during storms, tired periods, cold fishing at P-Town. More than two places can take turns hosting the monsters.

------------------
Frank