Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 04-28-2003, 10:03 PM

Jay R, been there, done that

Shorty
Old 04-28-2003, 11:16 PM

Great when someone else pushes it through for you. 15 years ago, I hookes my right pinky finger. No one had the balls to push it through so I had to do it myself. OUCH!

I did get someone to cut the barb off though. Thank God for that. Left hand not all that strong.

Worse part.... pulling the hook back out. It was rusty and it felt like it was coated with sandpaper.

Essential part of my bag ever since too!

JayR
Old 04-29-2003, 05:59 PM

I have a few good fishing buddies who, I have warned for years to watch out for trebles and a wiggling fish. They never really listened, and wouldn't you know it that my friend got a razor sharp gamakatsu hook through his index finger while attempting to unhook an angry blue. What made the situation awful to witness was that the blue was still attached to the other end of the lure while the hook was in my buddies hand, and that fish wiggled the hook in deeper. Somehow the blue fell off and we had to push the hook all the way through to cut the barb off and back it out.
Today he is careful like me and thanks to him, I have smartened up and carry a first aid kit with me.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:33 PM

Few years ago my buddy and I were fishing a creek in Sandwich. We had been fishing all day waiting for the tide to be just right in the wee hours of the morning. Told my buddy any moment and the fish would turn on and bang, he gets one. After a good fight, he gets the fish close to him. Since I am the "more experienced" fisherman, I go over to help him get the fish off. It is absolutely pitch dark, and were are up to our arses in the water. I get a hold of the fish and go to grab the big bomber, when the 37" fish gives a big tail flop and slips out of my grasp into the water........with the plug in its mouth and the rear treble now sunk into my pinky. This thing is trying to swim away, while I am trying not to go diving with it. Two other guys that were out there with us came over to lend a hand. I have the fish balanced on my thigh, and the guy says "give me the fish, we'll dig the hook out of the fish and then out of you". The guy proceeds to drop the fish back in the water and the thing again tries to swim away with my arm in tow. We get a hold of the fish again, the guy digs the hook out of the fish and just drops the fish back in the water. I thiught my buddy was gonna cry as it was his biggest fish so far. Fortunately, the guy had a pair of pliers that could cut the hook off. The fish our now hitting and I would be damned if I was gonna miss out on this. The hook was staight in real deep, so the old push through method didn't work. I stood there up to my butt crack in the water with these other guys watching and tried with all my fight to yank the ****er out with my pliers. No go. So I tried to fish with it still stuck in my finger, but I kept catching it on stuff, and then after almost passing out, it was off to the ER. They had to cut me open and dig it out. It sunk into the bone. If it wasn't for the guy with the pliers that could cut the hook, I would have had bigger problems. The lesson to be learned is to always beach fish and carry a good set of pliers/ cutters.........I still don't do either.....
Old 05-01-2003, 05:31 PM
SS/Platinum
SS#0126

In that vein, TAKE THE MIDDLE HOOK OFF OF YOUR BOMBERS!

As they say, the front one is for stripers, the back one for blues, and the middle one for you...

Believe me, I know (OUCH)......all my plugs with 3 hooks now only have two.....

Small Government is Beautiful
PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY SETS US FREE
Old 05-01-2003, 05:35 PM

OUCH!!! Good story! Had me laughing so hard my wife came over to see what was so funny.

Almost snotted my self laughing. Hehehehehehe!

JayR
Old 05-01-2003, 06:38 PM

By buddies' lure only had two trebles and still, he got nailed. He is now more careful, and he now crushes the barbs on all of his hooks just in case. Loses a few extra fish but does fine anyway.