Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 12-14-2015, 02:50 AM

Default Warmer weather in December/false sense of hope

Before I ask any questions I would like to preface them with a small story.
I went to SH about 3 weeks ago and I spent 2 hours throwing lures(mag, BT w/ WPR, sand eel, pencil popper(not sure why), and various soft plastics). I froze my back side off. I recently went to MoCo and dressed more appropriately and sweated my back side off. Maybe because I live 70 - 90 minutes away from where I fish( more so throw lures, catch nothing, and try to not lock my keys in the car). I know the air temp is great but the water temp is, well COLD.
I find the weather a bit confusing. Do the fish find it as confusing?
Really what I am getting at is, is this warm weather giving a false sense of hope as to where the fish are?
Is SH a dead area now?
Strictly from reading forums it appears everyone should be going south of IBSP.
Would fishing in the southern bays be better than the ocean or northern bays?
At this point have a majority of the stripers migrated out of the area?
Should a noob like myself be changing bait/lures for fish other than stripers?

I would really like to hear from Rob S., Bayyaker, HookI, Bunka Bullsht, and Jess.
(not calling you guys out, but I read a lot of your posts from prior years and have relied on your experience)
As you folks seem to have years of wisdom and have probably seen this before.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:55 AM
take a kid fishing

Default Re: Warmer weather in December/false sense of hope

I fished the SH Reef yesterday and there were several large blitzes going on between the reef and the beach. This went off & on for the entire day, but I don't know if they ever got close enough to the beach. Large areas, lots of fish.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Being about 1hr+min from NJ beaches does change the games quite a bit ...you just have to put the time in & learn the identity of the body your fishing during all times water temps , tides, time of year , there are always fish somewhere. Its been many years since fishing the hook & had boats in the Atlantic Highlands 40+ years ago. I'm not too much help on that location . But it is very special , I did enjoy the coves on the back side very much back then .

I'm interested in learning & fly fishing this famous river ( out of state )which I never fished before, taking a guide will put me where the fish are located then its up to me . Reading & hopefully a few non catch days ( I do believe there are no bad days to fishing ) log weather patterns, water temps ect, take pictures when water is down to learn the bottom . It takes time & mostly for me IT IS THE HUNT to get the line tight .This can be an expensive sport ,travel, equipment , family time.

As far as clothing goes & travel you have to bring everything with you for more than a few miles away from home. Be prepared for everything even emergencies .

to me Iwould rather be Jack of All trades , Master of None . I do it for fun & nothing to prove but to myself & the fish I target

on a last note : beach /shoreline line is not an easy game . It sounds like you will do well , stay with it & it will come . Tight Lines
Old 12-14-2015, 12:26 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

You would do well to look back at Bayyaker's logs as he has outfished me a ton.

That said, there are resident fish, and then there are the generally larger body of migratory fish. As far as I can tell down south, there are waves of migratory fish that come through, even in the back bays. But bait is king, as is structure (proper depth and ambush spots).

Right now the largest body of stripers have moved south. Doesn't mean you can't get a late December or January blitz of fish up at Sandy Hook or other Monmouth county beaches. In addition, there usually are schools of young fish that work the winter surf line as long as the water/surf temps don't dip too too cold, which is no where in the forecast at this time. Surf temps still above 50 means you have some time for a shot at fish basically anywhere.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Rob, I have to throw this back to you The last 5 years my December log has been pathetic . About two dozen days with 14 bass. Robs info is better than mine. You might want to pick Blazin420's brain, between diaper changes He has a ton of info about winter bass fishing. This year that dredge put a damper on the fishing up at the hook.. Like rob said, you'll find some resident rats around as long as the water temps don't take any drastic dips. Use bait, as the fish might become a bit lethargic as the water cools down. If your throwing mag's, sp's , sluggos and such, fish them Slow. I am usually settleing in for a long winters nap by now. I missed the bite along the beach down south, but, I've caught some fish in the past, it's not the end of the world. I'll see them in the spring. Sorry if I couldn't help you noob, But, when you wanna start talking about Flukeing, you just let me know
Old 12-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Administrator

The past 2 days you almost couldn't buy a fish @ IBSP and vicinity.
Of course I going by the numbers of weight in's apposed to the amount of fishermen that was out there this weekend. And it wasn't for lack of bait in the surf.

Today I see there catching Blues in the 10lb class.
If the blues are still in the area the season isn't over anytime soon. When the water temps become to cold for the blues there are always plenty of bass to follow until we see mid to 40's in the surf.

IMO fish have a comfort zone which includes 3 things. Food source, water temperature & the ability to feel safe.. What they prioritize at any give time can change in a flash.
Now if you think about this, the surf zone only has one thing going for it. Shallow water make's it easy to trap there food source. Outside of that it's not a friendly environment! Water temps are all over the board, current makes them use more energy and of course the noise from people and everything we do to catch them.

What I tell people I run into when they say that want to going surf fishing is you 1st have to enjoy just being there, catching is a bonus. If your not going to be happy unless your catching fish go on a boat.
99% of the time the best fishing from the surf is when the weather sucks for us to be out there in.

If your still fishing for stripers which most people are from the surf try to match the bait that there feeding on with either bait or lures. Most of the time that will work the best however when it comes to fishing nothing is written in stone.

Good luck and have fun.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:31 AM

A lot of great info here, thanks for the input.