Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 02-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Default Ice fishing tangential question

I was ice fishing yesterday just above Allentown, PA and was reminded of bluefish.

4 times I set the hook on a heavy damn fish only to have the line sheared. I finally got the knack a bit better and ended up landing 3 Muskie of 25 to 35" and one rat pickerel of about 22".

I know this isn't a surf fishing question, but I'll bet someone here knows how to rig for these toothy critters short of wire leader. I was using 20# fluorocarbon leader, which I thought would do it, but really didn't.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Ice fishing tangential question

I make 6-8inch nylon coated steel leaders on all my tip ups use with 2/0 octopus and large creek chubs I've never had a muskie bite me off have had them spool me before I got to the tip up but three muskie in one day is impressive though I don't perticuly target them on the ice I do pull them out sometimes but the wire leader has never shied away bass walleye or even crappies and always remember to support the Muskies stomach and never hold them vertically for an ancient looking pretador they are very fragile be safe on the hard water it hasn't been thick enough by me to get out lately
Old 02-02-2016, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Ice fishing tangential question

Thanks, ShadMaster, I will follow your advice. I just hate that waiting so long for a tip-up just to have a nice fish shear off after a few seconds. Arrghhh!

The lake I was fishing, in Lehigh County, PA, was emptied for dam repairs a few years ago, and stocked with bait fish, the regular game fish, and tiger muskies. Two years after the stocking folks were catching fish of 30 inches. Now they are between 30 and 40 inches and still growing. The lake is catch and release only, except for trout and rough fish.

After this week's warm temps I'm pretty sure the ice will need some hard cold to re-form. I can hardly wait. It's a great alternative to the beach this time of year and only a few miles from my sweetie's place.