Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 03-31-2003, 09:44 AM

I've just relocated to the south coast and want to start surf fishing. Since I'm not independently wealthy my budget is limited. Is there a good place, other than E-bay, to look for used equipment? Also, since I need to start from scratch any advice on where to scrimp would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:44 AM

I've just relocated to the south coast and want to start surf fishing. Since I'm not independently wealthy my budget is limited. Is there a good place, other than E-bay, to look for used equipment? Also, since I need to start from scratch any advice on where to scrimp would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:37 AM

eBay is a good source that should not be overlooked. Another avenue are the classified forums on this board and others such as XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com.
http://www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com/cgi-bi...=30&LastLogin=
Many anglers have quality equipment available.
I would suggest posting a "wanted" add on all the boards you frequent.

JayR
Old 03-31-2003, 01:37 PM

Thanks Jay. This is just the sort of thing I was looking for...
Old 03-31-2003, 02:27 PM

Spent 6 years at U-Mass Dartmouth. Lot of good fishing in South Dartmouth and Westport.....Enjoy it down there.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:27 AM

Thanks Redlite. Any suggestions on good spots/times for stripers or blues?
Old 04-01-2003, 12:51 PM
SS/Platinum
SS#0126

Horseneck Beach....

I'd be hung by a few if I got any more specific than that here. Send me a private topic message if you want.

Small Government is Beautiful
PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY SETS US FREE
Old 04-01-2003, 06:06 PM
sun tzu

You guys are bringing back memories
Old 04-05-2003, 04:32 PM

I have a ton of used stuff for sale, what are you looking for? Shimano Sustain (next size down from largest) with a fenwick pole, 8' two piece. $300 firm. Hardly used, bought brand new for $440
Old 04-06-2003, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the offer Jess but I'm hooked up. Scored a rod on E-bay and a decent reel from a local tackle shop. Now I just need to gather up the other million and six things you wind up needing...line, hooks, lead, plugs,and on and on. It's fun though ain't it? Any suggestions you guys can make as to what is really NEEDED in a days fishing as opposed to what is nice to have along would be appreciated though. I want to be able to spend the limited funds I have in the right places if you know what I mean.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:28 PM

Soaked-shoes,
PM me and I'll be willing to add to Steve In Mass's list of a few good spots down that way, but not that ones that would jepordize my well being from some others...........
Old 04-25-2003, 03:05 PM

Try scoring some of these items: some sort of dehooking device (pliers, etc.) hook sharpener, plug or jetty bag, sandspike (even if holding the rod it makes baiting up easier) flashlight (use sparingly) small first aid kit( ), spare spools for reels) pretied leaders/bait rigs... running out of ideas; I hope I don't forget anything this weekend

Shorty
Old 04-25-2003, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Shorty. I hadn't thought about the firstaid kit. Good idea.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:19 PM

Don't forget a good pair of side cutting pliers. Preferably, the 6" size or greater.
You will thank me when you have to cut a hook out of your flesh. Not many other pliers will do the job.
I have seen it too many times. A newbie burries a treble hook in their hand/finger while trying to unhook a fish. Barb goes in and won't come out. Hospital is too far away and the fish are biting....
Push the hook all the way through, cut off the barb and then pull the hook out the same way it went in. A couple of tylenol and a beer or two and you are back to fishing.

JayR
Old 04-26-2003, 04:54 PM

I've got those already. I've been fishing freshwater for over 20 years but am new to fishing the surf. I've been fishing from boats too. Your post reminds me of a guy I saw while fishing with my father on the gulf coast of Florida about 8 years ago. We were plugging for snook with surface poppers and they were hitting pretty good. Loads of fun. Anyway this Yayhoo on his bayliner 23 keeps pulling up next to us and lobbing these huge stickbaits out in front of us. I was getting pissed but the old man just told me to cool it and we'd move off. As soon as we'd get into fish again here comes the Yayhoo again. Well, Mr. Nitwit finally gets a hit on one of these logs he's chucking. Problem is the fish just banged the lure up into the air. Zippy the fishing fool rears back to set the hook all the while hooting and hollering. Well the plug goes sailing back to him. Hits him in the face. The rear treble snags in his open mouth and the weight of the lure snaps his head around to where the front treble can snag in the back of his shirt. If the poor guy hadn't been in so much pain it would have been funny. As it was we motored over to him. Cut the hooks clear of his shirt and Dad pushed the barb through his cheek and cut it off. That quieted him down a bit. I considered a good pair of dykes an essential from that day on.