Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 04-13-2000, 10:05 PM

I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on fishing Race Point. I have fished there a few times with sand eels and caught a few schoolies. I usaully have trouble casting the eels as they fall of easily. I was thinking about trying seaworms because I often dig them up while raking for eels. I would prefer to use the worms but only if they produce as well as the sand eels.

Thanks in advance and tight lines
Old 04-13-2000, 10:05 PM

I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on fishing Race Point. I have fished there a few times with sand eels and caught a few schoolies. I usaully have trouble casting the eels as they fall of easily. I was thinking about trying seaworms because I often dig them up while raking for eels. I would prefer to use the worms but only if they produce as well as the sand eels.

Thanks in advance and tight lines
Old 04-13-2000, 10:38 PM

Gumby,
I've had pretty good success at the Race. Sand eels are the way to go for bait as that is what the big girls are feeding on. I have had the opposite experience with sand eels staying on the hook - never a problem. IMHO they are far superior bait to worms -- at least in that area.

Anyway the key to the Race is catching the tide correctly. Low tide is far and away the best as you can reach the deeper water.

Plugging can be rewarding although its often too crowded with bait fishermen to have enough room.

See ya there!
Old 04-13-2000, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the info Jp. Now I won't go down there and end up getting skunked because I used worms. You saved me a bad trip. How do you hook you're eels. I usaully hook them through the head and have to cast very softly so they won't fall off, thus losing a lot of distance on my cast. Do you use more than one eel at a time or not?

Screamin' drags and tight lines
Old 04-14-2000, 01:37 PM

Gumby,
I use a hi-lo rig which has two hooks - you can find a drawing on this site. I've found the best way to hook sand eels is to go sideways just below the gill plate and then bach thru about 2/3 down the eels body. That way its pretty secure and presentable. Only one per hook is needed unless they're really small.

Make sure when you buy them, they are fresh. If they've been frozen or sitting around for more than a day in the fridge they turn to mush and are not very effective. When you buy them, make sure they are firm and there's not alot of liquid in the bag. The best solution is to dig your own. Some times at Race Point, feeding blues, stripers and even whales push them right up onto the beach and you can pick them up and hook them. Then you can even get them live -- very effective. You know you're in for good fishing on a day like that.

Nelson's Bait and Tackle is a pretty reliable source for sand eels and is on Race Point road. I also like Blackbeard's in Eastham as a stop on my way down if I can't make it to Nelson's in time.

Tight Lines!
Old 04-15-2000, 01:41 AM

Gumby,
I use fresh sand eels almost exclusively in the rips of Monomoy. I hook them once through both eyes. Fresh eels are the way to go, what you buy at the bait shop will only last one day. Remember these eels the shops sell have been in a baitmans cooler all day and dropped off at the bait store the night before you get em. That makes them two days old before you get em.
' The best way top keep them is on a bed of crushed ice laid out flat in tupperware. Drill holes in the tupperware to let any moisture drain out. TAKE EM OUT OF THE PLASTIC BAG ! The juices ruin them.
I have my customers (charter) cast them into the rips with no problems hooked this way.
bruce

------------------
sportfishingcapecod.com

bruce@sportfishingcapecod.com
Old 04-15-2000, 02:42 PM

Thanks to all that replied. I think that my main problem was that most of the time I by them at the bait shop. I only rake my own once in a while. I try the hooking techniques, too. Thanks again for the info.

Tight Lines