Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 PM

Default Re: September 2015 Fishing Reports

Out front North MOCO from 430-730pm. Strong surf continues but looks really fishy. Managed 2 shorts to 25inches. One on a Daiwa SP Minnow the other on a Mag Darter. Fish were in the wash. One thing I noticed is the past 2 days the amount of sand fleas on the beach have been monumental. So thick that even I was hooking them on my plug. The surf looked so good with the rough water I figured I should have caught more. Anyone have a theory that the bass that were at this spot were just gorging themselves on sand fleas and just keyed in on them? Tight lines everyone!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengardner View Post
Hey crook have u tried the NOAA app , it's the bouy off SH it's pretty XXXXXXX accurate let me know what you think
Thanks Ben, just downloaded it. I have about three that I check through but they all give me the winds are a bit less than what they really are. And those 5 mph difference means a lot of times if I'm going on the rocks or sand.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:33 PM

Nomoco this evening. Fished the outgoing for two hours. dropped two small fish in the dark.
Didn't see any baitfishbbefore the light fadēd. Surf was rough, but wind wasn't terrible.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:21 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbtide76 View Post
Out front North MOCO from 430-730pm. Strong surf continues but looks really fishy. Managed 2 shorts to 25inches. One on a Daiwa SP Minnow the other on a Mag Darter. Fish were in the wash. One thing I noticed is the past 2 days the amount of sand fleas on the beach have been monumental. So thick that even I was hooking them on my plug. The surf looked so good with the rough water I figured I should have caught more. Anyone have a theory that the bass that were at this spot were just gorging themselves on sand fleas and just keyed in on them? Tight lines everyone!!!
well, technically those are now "slot" fish, not "short" fish

anyhow, if you had harvested one with your bonus tag, you could have found out (not saying you should or should not have done so, btw...)

I have caught bass with "sand fleas" aka mole crabs in their gut, so it's possible. I kind of think that's why they are "running the lip" at times (although we have no "lip" down here in dixie for the most part) besides chasing the finned bait around your ankles... so it may require adjusting your casting style
Old 09-25-2015, 06:44 AM

Mole crabs are good bait - we float them or put 4 or 5 big ones on a hook and FF rig

Get a sand flea rake
Old 09-25-2015, 07:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Nice catch yarddog! And of course Bay! I was gonna go last night but the wife is home now on maternity leave so i gotta pick my days...Tonight i got the green light so hopefully some of the "Killer B's" will be there and we can get into some fish...

As for the sand fleas...THEY WORK!! Caught some fluke on them and Bass LOVE them...Ive seen many a fish caught on the fleas when they are thick in the wash and also in the winter time when other baits are not around...And the lip is a red zone for fish work it well...A rake is a big help but i dont have 1 i used a old strainer from the kitchen take a big scoop and wash out the sand normally would come up with at least a doz in a scope to fish...The bigger the better and like captin said just float them out there in the wash..
Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM

Blazing thanks. And good luck fishing and the all important things!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Out a few times last 2 days, 5 or 6 blues and finally one with stripes! As I said to Hemi, a month and a half we'll be hoping for a surf like this.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:23 AM

Out last night, front, back, didn't matter caught the skunk. Birds and bait going nuts but out of casting range. If I could have gotten on to my rock I would have been in the mix of things but the wind and waves were too much. Back at it tonight.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:36 AM

Out last night before the wind ripped my face off 2 with stripes 2 with yellow eyes all around the 24 inch range the bass were fat and hungry pictures to follow
Old 09-25-2015, 11:19 AM

Do yall think its too windy to give it a shot at high tide today?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
LOL Bay, you have to edit that pic. It's about 2 yrs old and 50 Lbs. lighter. Me, not the fish LOL
Congrats on the weight loss, you looked a lot better the other day than when we first met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedfellas View Post
Thanks Ben, just downloaded it. I have about three that I check through but they all give me the winds are a bit less than what they really are. And those 5 mph difference means a lot of times if I'm going on the rocks or sand.
third the NOAA buoys and forecast
I usually also consult the Wind Guru app and if I plan to fish out front MagicSeaWeed is pretty accurate for current surf heights about 1 day out. Nothing beats the live cameras at njsurfer or surfchex.

Bay, rumor is the mag darters are already sold out on the east coast. I always have a stash in the back of my car but please don't "break glass in case of emergency".

IMG_20150611_215311321_HDR
Old 09-25-2015, 01:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Congrats on the weight loss, you looked a lot better the other day than when we first met.

third the NOAA buoys and forecast
I usually also consult the Wind Guru app and if I plan to fish out front MagicSeaWeed is pretty accurate for current surf heights about 1 day out. Nothing beats the live cameras at njsurfer or surfchex.

Bay, rumor is the mag darters are already sold out on the east coast. I always have a stash in the back of my car but please don't "break glass in case of emergency".

IMG_20150611_215311321_HDR
IM IN!!!!!....

oh wait its NOT a giveaway? !?

Hopefully put my stash to good use tonight!!
Old 09-25-2015, 02:06 PM

Jb, the first one yellow and third blurple from the bottom are really nice! Are those patterns recent?
Old 09-25-2015, 02:53 PM

Any topwater action?