Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Sept. & Oct. Fishing Reports 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
That sounds like a real fun outing professor! How was the fight? Congrats!

Thanks yard dog, no rush.
Bunk, Here is my version of the float rig, with apologies to many sources:

You can't see the bobber stop, but that is tied in above the green bead depending on how deep you have to set the float, then comes the bead, then the slider float, then a 3/8 ounce no snag sinker (that slides on the line), then a swivel, and last a 16 inch flouro carbon leader smelled t0 a 3/0 circle hook. Hope that helps you get a good one. YD
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
That sounds like a real fun outing professor! How was the fight? Congrats!

Thanks yard dog, no rush.
Hey bunk , I use those cheap snapper popper rigs w the foam float , catch couple snappers then take the little kastmastr off the snap put on fluke hook then hook live snapper and throw him past the break open the bail and wait , produced my only two keepers last year
Old 09-15-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Nomoco In the back afternoon middle of the incoming tide. Flat water with the peanuts everywhere. Used the float rig with live peanuts and as the bait school moved past I would toss the rig in the middle of them, and for a short window, as the live peanut hit the bottom , it was hit hard, and I missed several nice fish until I switched to a larger hook, then everything was working well and I caught two flat ones, at 21 and 23 inches. When the tide brought the peanuts out of reach the acton was over. Today I switched to an old one piece 7 foot Fenwick Fenglass 847, I wrapped in the 80's, and 10 lb spinning reel. and as a result, I was able to cast the light float and split shot into the wind without the birds nest on the round reel.
Nice work dog. I plan to be on the dawn patrol this sunday.

Last edited by FacePlantOnSkis : 09-15-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Bunk, Here is my version of the float rig, with apologies to many sources:

You can't see the bobber stop, but that is tied in above the green bead depending on how deep you have to set the float, then comes the bead, then the slider float, then a 3/8 ounce no snag sinker (that slides on the line), then a swivel, and last a 16 inch flouro carbon leader smelled t0 a 3/0 circle hook. Hope that helps you get a good one. YD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengardner View Post
Hey bunk , I use those cheap snapper popper rigs w the foam float , catch couple snappers then take the little kastmastr off the snap put on fluke hook then hook live snapper and throw him past the break open the bail and wait , produced my only two keepers last year
Good to know, love learning new things, and now i got more things to spend my money on
Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 PM

More porgys barely legal size and a puffer from the yak. Not sure why i took it out with the wind i was dealing with. Lots of shorts and dropped the biggest porgys of the day. Still managed a nice dinner for me and the mrs.
Name:  tmp_14197-16877-1802087167.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  59.5 KB
Old 09-16-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
The question was directed at YardDog in specific. I basically experienced the same thing as you did TugaStriper. I was averaging 8-10 keeper fluke per trip fishing in 40ft+ of water and after Hermine that number went to 0 (two trips) and I could count the number of shorts caught on one hand. Starting to hear some positive reports again from deep water so may have one last shot at them before the season closes.

There was definitely a good amount of fish in the back creeks post Hermine but that bite is mostly over by now. Guys fishing from their boats docked in the creek did better than me

I don't attribute it to the bait because the bait has been back there for 3 months now without the fish.
my apologies for hijacking thread. But thanks for the insight. Lets see what happens tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:14 AM

nomoco out front dawn, tail end of the incoming to slack high tide. Light E wind. Birds sporadically working, peanuts close to the wash and what looked like spearing a bit farther out. Managed some smaller snappers on metal+teaser
Old 09-16-2016, 09:27 PM

FYI I filleted the keeper I caught at the mouth of a creek in shallow water and it was loaded with long skinny red worms. Couldn't eat it knowing this condition. Anybody else have this experience?
Old 09-16-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
FYI I filleted the keeper I caught at the mouth of a creek in shallow water and it was loaded with long skinny red worms. Couldn't eat it knowing this condition. Anybody else have this experience?
Bill,I did not notice any problems. Not a pretty picture though. YD
Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Got out today looking for the albies, which were a no show . Picked away at the small blues and hickories, which got old fast. I did manage two flat ones, one being short and fat, on a rattletrap.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Got out today looking for the albies, which were a no show . Picked away at the small blues and hickories, which got old fast. I did manage two flat ones, one being short and fat, on a rattletrap.
talk about matching the hatch, looks just like a peanut! Are those salt water grade out of the box?
Old 09-17-2016, 12:00 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcal4404 View Post
talk about matching the hatch, looks just like a peanut! Are those salt water grade out of the box?
I don't think so, I switch out the split ring and the treable is a 1/0. I was playing with the idea to put a single hook, or just a flag in the back. He took the front hook and the rear treable snagged his gill plate. These rattletraps are good for bass, blues, weakies, and I guess fluke.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:31 AM

Bay, Several hundred thousand casts ago, I believe I ran into you catching fluke in your usual haunts using crank baits! Nice work again. YD
Old 09-17-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
I don't think so, I switch out the split ring and the treable is a 1/0. I was playing with the idea to put a single hook, or just a flag in the back. He took the front hook and the rear treable snagged his gill plate. These rattletraps are good for bass, blues, weakies, and I guess fluke.
gotcha, thanks. looks like it'd be killer in the lip
Old 09-17-2016, 10:05 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

some rattletraps are meant for freshwater, others have stainless hardware and can take the salt.