Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Default Re: March & April Fishing Reports 2017

shameful....
Old 04-19-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
4/11-4/18
had a chance @ two outings one w/ a guide to fishing the Boca Ciega Bay flats DOA 9am - 1pm cal & Mirrolure produced the inshore slam , Trout,Red, Snook no monsters but fun & a lot of wind , another day I went to Fort De Soto w/ the 8w walked the flats on the low tide produced 1 Trout pink / Chart. clouser / 1 Red Grassett's Flats minnow. Wading the flats was a lot of fun , being the only angler on that flat 7:30 am - 10 am .
Glad to hear you got into some action The Boca bay is where I put in a lot of time, family has a condo there and I fish right off their sea wall. Caught some quality fish this spring but the quantity just isn't there right now. As you mentioned wind has been an issue lately. You may have been a week or two early, water temps still have to come up a few degrees. Going try to hit it hard around the new moon next week. I'll let you know what's up.
I hope my former NJ brethren don't mind an occasional Florida report.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Kroc unfortunately we did not get together , as the Easter week was short with family visits w/ the Out-laws . But my next time back will be for a few weeks . Let me know how you do w/ pm .I opted for the tide more than the wind as once the sun is up so is the wind . It's no secret the the one stripe is a better fight than the seven stripes. To each his own . Tight Lines
Old 04-19-2017, 07:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrule View Post
Attaching (I hope) 2 photos that give fishermen a bad name. I hope the boys who left this pile of 12 pound blues on the beach to rot see this post, but I doubt they will. I wish I had been there when they did this, but I wasn't. I hope everyone out here will step up and say something if they see this kind of pointless killing, whether blues, rays, or sea robins. All part of the ecosystem. Disgusting waste of life.
I wish I was there, I called the game warden two weeks ago, he was there in 20 minutes. I can't imagine how many short Bass are being taken at night
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrule View Post
Attaching (I hope) 2 photos that give fishermen a bad name. I hope the boys who left this pile of 12 pound blues on the beach to rot see this post, but I doubt they will. I wish I had been there when they did this, but I wasn't. I hope everyone out here will step up and say something if they see this kind of pointless killing, whether blues, rays, or sea robins. All part of the ecosystem. Disgusting waste of life.
Thats horribly upsetting...I really do not understand how people justify that...looks like they need to regulate that now too people can't handle playing nice....

I just got back from being out.....saw about 20 fish caught all the size of my TV remote between two guys...i wasnt really interested in 1/2 lb fish.. so I stayed with my methods....nothing big showed..from what I saw tiny metals produced the dinks and one guy was doing extremely well on the fly....
Old 04-20-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Glad to hear you got into some action The Boca bay is where I put in a lot of time, family has a condo there and I fish right off their sea wall. Caught some quality fish this spring but the quantity just isn't there right now. As you mentioned wind has been an issue lately. You may have been a week or two early, water temps still have to come up a few degrees. Going try to hit it hard around the new moon next week. I'll let you know what's up.
I hope my former NJ brethren don't mind an occasional Florida report.
Keep that FL stuff coming! I fish there several times each year and love the inshore fishing...trout, reds, snook, etc.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Senior Fellow

out early today; more schoolies but keep getting bigger on average; couple of really big hickory shad that were jumping when hooked; lots of fun; still waiting for the blues; back out at dusk tonite
Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Out front Bill or in the bay?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM
SS/Veteran

My log is showing larger fish are almost 2 weeks later than last couple years (or maybe I just can't find bigger fish ). Did manage one a hair over 28", still swimming .
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 PM

1 boated, 30" 2 dropped. ?? Fish were scattered in RB. (still swimming). Said hello to a friendly game warden as I came ashore. I told him to keep up the good work.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Nice job Bill, on both the fish and the warden
Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Fished Raritan Bay yesterday in kayak starting early and staying until 3pm...rain early but sunny later on...I even got some tan on my face...water was around 58F
Started slow..low tide in morning did not help...was marking fish here and there without too much action until I finally got a nice 24" fish...but then as the tide started coming in school of fish began to show more frequent...finished day with over 20 bass with 60% being less than 20" ...got one at 27.5" and another at 26" and lost several good fish....no keeper for me this time...btw, blues showed up...seen a lot swirls and couple of them basking in the sun with top fin protruding out of the water...they were not too aggressive but they did cut one of my shad in half...this time a lot of bass were hitting a teaser...interesting..the photos below are shots of my fish-finder 30 minutes apart at different locations...huge school but mostly shorts...
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Senior Fellow

last 2 days totaled about 30+ schoolies; saw a guy walk off jetty at dusk yesterday with a Boca holding 13 lb blue; only 3 caught; today 2 big blues in the 7-10 lb class in early am; big but very random still; of my 30 or so schoolies all but 4 were on the white teaser and guys near me throwing only metals or plastics were not doing much; and this am another really big hickory shad; tease it up gentlemen
Old 04-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Does anyone use Hickory shad for cut bait? I can't think why not...

Seems like they'd make a pretty good live-lining bait somewhere, too.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:59 PM
SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Does anyone use Hickory shad for cut bait? I can't think why not...

Seems like they'd make a pretty good live-lining bait somewhere, too.
I've used hickory and American shad with good success on stripers in the Del. River. In MD below the Conowingo Dam big stripers take hickories off guys shad fishing.