Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-05-2019, 03:07 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

I think the big blues won't be in numbers, at least down our way. But you should be able to pcok a few up throughtout the month. Bucktail Willy has tagging data ( mostly your way ) going way back and thinks its another year off.

But...... who knows for sure?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:37 PM

Skunk for me. No fish seen but got a nice pic of the surf
Name:  FB_IMG_1557070157651.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  75.4 KB
Old 05-06-2019, 01:27 AM

I saw one report of loads of blowfish moving up the beach followed by blues. Back in the 1960's the blowfish population exploded all over NJ and NY to the point where party boats had trouble going in and out of the inlets. Almost no blues were to be found for several years. Finally the blowfish population dwindled and the blues started to gain the upper hand. One cannot wonder if a new cycle is starting again
Old 05-06-2019, 08:03 AM

it's possible, but the blowfish population never rebounded, while we have had several massive bluefish cycles in that time. there were (are? not sure, I'll be out Wed again hopefully) a ton of blowfish in the ac/great bay area last week, as well as a quick hit of some big blues.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:28 PM

Well we saw the decrease in the blowfish populations after the bluefish started to gain in numbers and we by mid to latter 1960's we started catching 2-3lb blues that were feeding on the tiny blowfish. In 1968 we had a huge rush of blues into Barnegat bay and they pretty well wiped out the young blowfish. That gave the blues a real chance to repopulate and we had loads of snappers surviving. By mid 70's we were seeing small striper fry being caught in the killie traps. I know fish come and go in cycles so if blowfish numbers are increasing it will be interesting to see the impact it has on both bluefish and bass numbers. Also the blowfish feed on fluke as well. I have seen smaller fluke having been attacked by blowfish as well
Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 PM

Moco Outfront afternoon shift at the start of incoming with a SE wind and chest high swell with nice white water......Nothing caught or observed.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Senior Fellow

what is the effect blowfish have on blues?? I would think they would be blue fish food
Old 05-07-2019, 12:00 AM

Well Bill Yes the small blowfish do serve as some food for larger blues but on the reverse the real small snapper blues are often food that blowfish do eat. Back in the 60's The massive influx of blowfish really cleaned the bay out. I know I use to fill buckets of them spent hours cleaning them and feeding allot of folks in Seaside. I could hardly catch a snapper for several years as the blowfish were all over the bait. On the surf outside of a few blitzes the blues were few and far between. Even on the surf you could not chunk bait for blues as the hooks were cleaned off. You may catch a rare spot and nail a few kingfish quick before the blowfish moved in but you lost many hooks to the puffers those days. I remember in those days you could go to Pt Pleasant Inlet and see thousands of blowfish like a wall from one end of the inlet to the other. Party boats had to run super slow as the props were plowing through the blowfish and vibrating the boats to critical stage
Old 05-07-2019, 12:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Hide the woman and children The yellow eyes are here and there on crack 16 between me and my bro in law and believe me, that was enough for me. My drag was smoking. Most were 28+ inches with two behemoths going 35 and 38 inches
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2019, 12:31 AM
SS/Veteran

They ate poppers, till I lost the beater ,they ate metal,till I lost it finally I sacrificed a magdarter to the devils. Keep your RG glider in the bag, your not getting a replacement.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 AM

great shots... big bass moved in locally, hope the school is around for a few more days.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
They ate poppers, till I lost the beater ,they ate metal,till I lost it finally I sacrificed a magdarter to the devils. Keep your RG glider in the bag, your not getting a replacement.

Don't worry, they'll probably all hide when my boots hit the water.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Senior Fellow

they read these posts and responded; they were in surf here yesterday afternoon; had a nice morning with 7-8 bass with two about 24in plus 2 blues and one big shad; one regular got a bass that was a copy of my nephew's of last week; 42in and fat; still swims; on a Hydro Minnow white with red head; I'll check the surf this pm for more blues; hoping they are really here
Old 05-07-2019, 11:40 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
they read these posts and responded; they were in surf here yesterday afternoon; had a nice morning with 7-8 bass with two about 24in plus 2 blues and one big shad; one regular got a bass that was a copy of my nephew's of last week; 42in and fat; still swims; on a Hydro Minnow white with red head; I'll check the surf this pm for more blues; hoping they are really here
Be careful what you wish for their tackle busters. If anybody finds a Polaris pop or crocodile metal or a white bucktail that a blue fish is using as a lip ring they?re mine .
Old 05-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Senior Fellow

if they are here I go to the old stuff,,,scratched metals and peeling plugs that I rig with single hooks; I know who I'm up against and they don't care how old or beat up the lures are; but it's hard to beat a 12+ lb blue in an active whitewater surf