Home

 
     HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING
 
Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #376  
Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 PM
yarddog yarddog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: new jersey
Posts: 601
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

Rob, I was using an eight weight with a Teeny BS-300, which is 6IPS. The head is 20 foot long. I had an extra airflow saltwater 5 foot sink tip that was also 6 IPS, that I attached to the 20 foot head, making the whole contraption 25 foot. It worked well in the hole I was fishing. Ive done well with a 400 grain, but that is on a ten weight, that I use when the wind is in my face and the waves are crashing. Here is the fly on a 1/0 hook that was on the preferred menu!
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 AM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,080
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

out early and fairly quiet; water pretty clean and not much wind; couple of good hits and misses and a big swirl on a popper; ended with one bass about 18in; went out back and got a couple of nice blues...one on metal one on popper and then a first; nice blue, hits the metal, runs a bit and then jumps completely out of the water; saw his head and tail, prob a 4 lber; good tarpon imitation; throws the hook; never saw that before
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:05 AM
RobS's Avatar
RobS RobS is online now
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: living near the least productive waters of the NE
Posts: 17,967
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

I have experienced that a couple of times on the raritan bay shallows.
__________________
-- Rob Switzer
~~~~~ ><((((?> ~~~~~
http://stripersandtrout.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:20 AM
misfit misfit is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 111
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
out early and fairly quiet; water pretty clean and not much wind; couple of good hits and misses and a big swirl on a popper; ended with one bass about 18in; went out back and got a couple of nice blues...one on metal one on popper and then a first; nice blue, hits the metal, runs a bit and then jumps completely out of the water; saw his head and tail, prob a 4 lber; good tarpon imitation; throws the hook; never saw that before
good times!
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 05-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Joseph C. Joseph C. is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 886
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

My schedule is so busy that I will only have time to gnash my teeth this week.


YD, I love that Anchovy-Rainfish pattern. I can do that!
Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old 05-28-2019, 01:34 PM
RobS's Avatar
RobS RobS is online now
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: living near the least productive waters of the NE
Posts: 17,967
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Rob, I was using an eight weight with a Teeny BS-300, which is 6IPS. The head is 20 foot long. I had an extra airflow saltwater 5 foot sink tip that was also 6 IPS, that I attached to the 20 foot head, making the whole contraption 25 foot. It worked well in the hole I was fishing. Ive done well with a 400 grain, but that is on a ten weight, that I use when the wind is in my face and the waves are crashing. Here is the fly on a 1/0 hook that was on the preferred menu!

nice fly, thanks!
__________________
-- Rob Switzer
~~~~~ ><((((?> ~~~~~
http://stripersandtrout.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 PM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,080
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

just looked outside and to quote the cowardly lion...."interesting weather we're having ain't it"
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:44 AM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,080
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

out early; couple of nice blues on the beach and one one 4 lber out back; the regulars on the beach had a nice bass bite in the dark pre-dawn; several keepers; tomorrow I need to get up earlier and be there in the dark....it's a tough life
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
basstard's Avatar
basstard basstard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Matawan
Posts: 918
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

"every day's a Saturday, and every night's a Friday night"
__________________
Every day's a saturday, every night's a Friday night.
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 05-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Joseph C. Joseph C. is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 886
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

I hope I can actually get to the beach at IBSP tomorrow PM. My daughter's 7th grade class is heading there for a day at the beach. I'll meet them and keep my girl when they leave. We can throw plugs together for a while and see if we can find some blues action. I'm stoked!
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 05-29-2019, 04:37 PM
jbw252's Avatar
jbw252 jbw252 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hamilton (Mercer County),NJ
Posts: 34
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
...We can throw plugs together for a while and see if we can find some blues action. I'm stoked!
Sounds like a great plan. I fished there this morning (6:30 - 10:30). I caught 1 blue using a bone SP minnow. I also caught another blue & 2 small sharks on bunker chunks. I hope you two have some luck there also.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 PM
Bayyaker's Avatar
Bayyaker Bayyaker is online now
SS/Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,856
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

Sorry Don, sold out. Try putting a order in the fall
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 AM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,080
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

typical morning for me; 6 blues who came in 5-6 min bursts and one small bass; had a pearl SP bit off; went out back and gnats said "go home"
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 AM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,080
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

early on the beach; fairly weedy; single hook metal helped a bit; 6 guys fishing; I got one blue and one other hit; no one else got anything; going to IBSP this afternoon
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 05-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Joseph C. Joseph C. is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 886
Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I hope I can actually get to the beach at IBSP tomorrow PM. My daughter's 7th grade class is heading there for a day at the beach. I'll meet them and keep my girl when they leave. We can throw plugs together for a while and see if we can find some blues action. I'm stoked!

The trip was not yesterday, it turned out. Next Tuesday. I can't wait! (Back to tooth gnashing.)
Have fun BillRubel. I'd join you if I could.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishing Reports Winter 2019 Jess Fishing - New Jersey 164 03-23-2019 04:05 PM
All About Fishing Reports & SSc Policy Bob D'Amico Fishing - New Jersey 15 11-16-2018 12:08 PM
Book Talk: Fly Fishing the Striper Surf Frank Daignault Ask Frank Daignault 120 02-11-2018 02:57 PM
March & April Fishing Reports 2016 Jess Fishing - New Jersey 285 05-02-2016 10:53 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2016 StriperSurf.com, All Rights Reserved