Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 09-29-2019, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Fishing Reports Fall 2019

I hope you all had a good summer season.
Now lets see what the fall run has in store for us.

As always don't be to specific of an area your fishing.

We enjoy reading your reports. Surf, boats, fresh water are all good.. Pictures are even better.
Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Striped Bass or Hybrid Striped Bass
1 fish at 28 inches to less than 43 inches
1 fish at 43 inches or greater

Recreational Marine Fishing Regulations - - > https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2019/maregsum19.pdf

Complete 2019 New Jersey Marine DIGEST - - > https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/digmar19.htm

New Jersey State Record Saltwater Fish - -> http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/recfish-salt.htm

Operation Game Thief 800-222-0456 - - > http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ogt.htm

NJ Saltwater Recreational Registration. - - > http://www.nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry/index.html

Need some excellent bait rigs? - -> http://trophyrigs.com/index.html

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-29-2019, 12:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Fishing Reports Fall 2019

Starting to pick a few, [b]IF[b] you can get the plug past the damn little blues. I have not seen mullet near me yet. Although there have been reported sightings.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2019, 09:19 PM

Moco Outfront Last night 8p-10p Incoming to the top. I was spinning with a M-darter and teaser and got one at 26....on the teaser. East wind began to show itself so I called it a night since I was using light spinning gear. Bass was fat and grave me a good run. Still swimming.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2019, 09:02 PM

I took the day and walked out to the Hook for the first time since the spring. I caught a 15 lb blue - no, wait- it was maybe 15 lbs OF blues, but none over a pound or so.
I got there about dawn and the water was alive with bait and clouds of working birds within a short cast of shore. I got a bird tangle in my line my first cast.
The little blues were entirely willing to bite and kept at it with only a couple lulls in the action all day. I left them biting at about 3:00.
Come to think of it, I probably caught more than 15 lbs of fish. Figure ~15 fish an hour for almost 10 hours. That's a lot of fish!
I don't want to fish for little blues again for a long time. Time for stripers!
Tonight it's ice the shoulder, take a couple anti-inflammatory pills and go to bed.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I took the day and walked out to the Hook for the first time since the spring. I caught a 15 lb blue - no, wait- it was maybe 15 lbs OF blues, but none over a pound or so.
I got there about dawn and the water was alive with bait and clouds of working birds within a short cast of shore. I got a bird tangle in my line my first cast.
The little blues were entirely willing to bite and kept at it with only a couple lulls in the action all day. I left them biting at about 3:00.
Come to think of it, I probably caught more than 15 lbs of fish. Figure ~15 fish an hour for almost 10 hours. That's a lot of fish!
I don't want to fish for little blues again for a long time. Time for stripers!
Tonight it's ice the shoulder, take a couple anti-inflammatory pills and go to bed.
It?s a bend in the rod, which is nice.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:23 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
It?s a bend in the rod, which is nice.
But best if you can downsize... or use a flyrod.

Either way, its been a while since I messed with a mess o' blues
Old 10-02-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
But best if you can downsize... or use a flyrod.

Either way, its been a while since I messed with a mess o' blues
The little blues have been around for three weeks or more along with tons of swim bait.
A perfect opportunity to introduce a young fisher person to catching from the surf.

I do know when the voracious devils arrived all else left!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:04 AM

I brought my fly rod with me, but the wind and cross waves made it a difficult learning environment. I need a stripping basket.

I wasn't the only one there who was very disappointed not to see any hint of pelagics. The previous day's strong winds had stirred up the shallow parts of the bay, somebody said, and the outgoing tide brought significantly tinged water.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 AM

For the open surf, and rocks, a stripping basket is a necessity. Backbays etc you can really get away without one.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:41 PM

Moco Outfront late afternoon until dusk. Mullet happily swimming by in droves at two different locations. I was on the fly with the a west wind and waist high rolling breakers
Zippo!
Old 10-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Brig out front for a couple of warm hours yesterday, very few mullet in the surf, but using fresh, was getting harassed by the 1 million snappers in the surf. Managed 2 tailors (1 for dinner), 1 snapper (threw the head out... something whacked it ...likely another blue... but nothing else).

Tried netting those elusive mullet to no avail, and didn't pull out the flyrod as the surf was not conducive (and I didn't feel like wading out and getting 100% drenched/soaked from the huge swells coming in), so settled for bait fishing. Was going to hit other parts of the island but it was PACKED due to the weather-hype that this was the last of the summer "heat wave" etc. So merely retreated to the nawth end
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Senior Fellow

have one day left before depart for largemouth fishing.....plus snook and reds, etc...wonder if it will calm down enough to hit IBSP tomorrow early
Old 10-04-2019, 11:12 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
have one day left before depart for largemouth fishing.....plus snook and reds, etc...wonder if it will calm down enough to hit IBSP tomorrow early
Sorry just saw this. Here the ocean is still churning, not sure what's causing the swell Rob? On the beach this morning the hard NW wind was doing it's best to knock it down. It's also a bit stained.

Chowder Fest this weekend so, looks like Monday 'til I get out again.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:04 PM

There was the remnant of Jerry way out at sea, but there is a big offshore low that impacted our coast, causing the swells.

These things don't get reported on regular land forecasts, so often get missed, but a stalled offshore low can have a huge impact on Tides and Waves. One time, went to go clamming and there was essentially NO low tide (our sand bars were completely covered during the entire cycle... where we normally are on dry sand, we were in a foot of water). Not until later did I understand the impact of a stalled offshore low which created the surge / buildup for several days.

In my top-photo, the surf might look calm-ish, it was low tide, but the swells on the bars (out where I would have had to wade to effectively flyfish... ie to find the fish... ) were way beyond what I wanted to deal with.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Hit one of my spots in jetty country yesterday afterwork..Ciuldnt resist the weather had "bass" written all over it..Hard NE which settled to about 15ish by 620 when I hit the sand big surf even at dead low when I fished..Felt like FALL! Gave it till 740..Needless to say the fish were there landed 2 and dropped 1..both nice fish 1@24 and 1@26in that was a little chubby so I swore it was a keeper coming in..Let the fall begin